Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not all customers are good customers.

I need to vent.

With the economy the way it is most people are looking to save a buck. The company I work for requires us to call before we arrive to do work. In doing so, customers are keeping my cell number as their personal on-call plumber even though my number just displays **** plumbing.

I don't mind answering a few questions but it's really getting out of hand and odd. Customers are now giving my cell number to their friends to see if I want some "side-work". I have not done any side work in years. These calls go on throughout the day, Saturdays, Sundays and as late as 9:00 at night. Turning off the cell does no good. They are now calling my home phone. It's about to get ugly in Hacktowns sister city.

Some time ago I remember you guys talking about tire kickers and I did not get it. I GET IT NOW.

Wheeew!
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Not all customers are good customers.

Sorry ,but how are They getting Your home phone #? Are You part of the problem?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Sorry ,but how are They getting Your home phone #? Are You part of the problem?
      Not real hard when your in a small town, and work where you grew up. Know what I mean?

I'm not a bad guy Tool, seriously.

Comment

Small towns can be great,but they have some draw backs!

Makes sense now ,sorry.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

No problem

Comment

I have noticed it too. Gradually, people are more and more concerned about price more than anything else. I have always gotten those type of callers, but lately it seems like EVERY call is somebody asking, "HOW MUCH, HOW MUCH?"
            It will be nice when this recession is over, or at least when the media coverage of it is over. I swear, the media is only making it worse as they feel they need to run "doom and gloom" economic stories every 5 seconds.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I really think it has to do with the economy also.

They just want to talk money. I never had this before.

Comment

I swear, the worst part of my job is answering the phone. I never know if a generous, polite customer is on the other line, or it is just some rude, cheapskate looking to take advantage of me or ask for free advice.
                Most plumbing employees don't have to deal with this and have no idea how bad it is to answer the phones at a plumbing service company that advertises to the general public. Now you have a taste of what it is like Tyman! People calling you on Sunday to ask if you can do a sidejob for $25...annoying and rude isn't it!

Comment

Don't over think the question.Quote these bargain hunters prices 30% over your regular rates for side work. If they want you that bad you win!I get this one waaaaay too much.Funny, they take the "I'll go with the standard rate and go through the office" charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    I swear, the worst part of my job is answering the phone. I never know if a generous, polite customer is on the other line, or it is just some rude, cheapskate looking to take advantage of me or ask for free advice.
                    Most plumbing employees don't have to deal with this and have no idea how bad it is to answer the phones at a plumbing service company that advertises to the general public. Now you have a taste of what it is like Tyman! People calling you on Sunday to ask if you can do a sidejob for $25...annoying and rude isn't it!
                    Annoying and rude exactly! Why would I risk losing my job for some guy who thinks he is saving some money. I had one guy tell me that he was doing me a favor.

Comment

Just tell them that you have to run everything through the company you work for and that you do not do work on the side! Explain to them that you have a obligation to your employer and you do not want to take work away from him as it may jeopardize your job. With the economy the way it is you have to think about what your employer might do if he finds you stealing his clients, Is it worth the couple extra bucks to be standing in the unemployment line??
                      ________
                      Vaporgenie
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:22 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                        Annoying and rude exactly! Why would I risk losing my job for some guy who thinks he is saving some money? I had one guy tell me that he was doing me a favor.
                        Topdawg said it perfectly in the above post.

Comment

Just say no. Word gets out about people who say no just like it does about people who say yes, especially in a small town.

Comment

Even though I had a lot of guys that worked for me, I was lucky enough to be out in the field with them every day (quality control). Because we all dressed the same, a lot of my customers never knew I was the boss. I was often asked to do work on the side so it gave me an opportunity to see how often this would actually occur. I always had the same response, "if I do any side work I'll get fired". It's real interesting to see what type of responses you will get. This situation sounds like a perfect topic to bring up at your next company's safety meeting. It is possible that other employees need a refresher course in how to say no.

Comment

We work hard mon thru fri is enough ,,,,extra work not so good,,dont cut your self,,,make them pay for what they get..my son does side jobs for friends, i dont want him to cut the cost of good work .

Comment

Working...
                              X