Why are doctors soooooo cheap?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are doctors soooooo cheap?????

It's a long story so I'll try to make is short. It was about a month ago that i received a call from the management company for my parents condominium complex on the gulf of mexico. They asked me to check the toilet in one of the units because the owner (a female urologist) had complained that there was a consistent smell. Now I had spoken to her already a few weeks prior when I was away on vacation and told her to call me and let me know when I could drop in to see if it was the wax seal. Needless I never got the call from her and when I entered her bathroom, the toilet was already pulled by her boy toy and it was just sitting there. So I then proceded to call her, she answered and when I told her the situation, she pretended that she didn't live there. I think that she was afraid of getting charged too much, so she just basically flat out lies to me. I walk out and tell the office what happened. Fast forward a few weeks.....she calls and asks me to fix the tank to bowl gasket....it's leaking. STUPID ME, I accept and go there the next day. I find that one of the three tank to bowl bolt washers is leaking and that her boy toy strip the head of the bolt. So I have to go back to my truck and grab my sawzall...cut it out and replace it. The whole thing took me about 90 minutes, so she was billed $140. She calls me up today complaining that she didn't know it would cost THAT MUCH and that it was my mistake not to call her and tell her that(I explained that at the minimum it would have been an hour charge $85 plus bolt kit. She said she could have bought a toilet for cheaper..I said yeah....and your proficient (haha) handyman would have had to install it.....She then threatens to tell her whole office(more cheap doctors!!!) that I screwed her. It took a lot for me not to blow my stack....but I calmed down and told her to keep her $140 and that the next time she needs a plumber.....call somebody else..... and you'll realize how cheap you had it with me!!!! I'm a man of principle and I don't need this crap!!! I've noticed that doctors think that when they make over $3,000/hr...that's ok....but $85/hr is way too much to pay someone who gets dirty and doesn't have a medical degree!!!! So much for making my story short!!!!ha

Re: Why are doctors soooooo cheap?????

Alot of different people are that way. Don't sweat it too much. Next time go to their office and meet them in their waiting room if they have a problem. That's what I would do.

J.C.

Comment

I have done a couple of homes for doctors.

One Doctor is still a good friend even though we don't spend much time together since his wife was murdered.

Both paid on the spot at each billing phase of the project.

Lawyers are the ones that scare me

Comment

I DO NOT work for Doctors Or Attorneys or Similar A$$H*les period !

Comment

Post removed because of foul content
          Last edited by Woussko; 03-02-2009, 08:09 AM. Reason: Ranting away

Comment

To me this story is just another example of why you should always give an upfront price. I tell people the TOTAL price to do a toilet repair before I start, so they can approve or not. Once they approve the job and price, they are contractually bound to pay by law. Flatrate pricing is superior in this way.
            When I worked hourly years ago, we had FAR more complaints after work was done. Now all the complaints come before, since the price is given before, they either agree to the price and have the work done, or they don't agree and I let them call someone else. Everyone wins that way.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

carl, the price of 140 was very fair.

what would have happened when you shoedw up, give her your upfront flat rate price? i doubt that she would have allowed you to fix it either. so basically you too would have been more than she wanted to spend.

the problem was not the price, it was the customer. she called for service and the problem was fixed at a very fair price. what was she expecting? a free estimate for a nickle and dime job.

sure i attempt to give a price on repairs, especially with new customers.

but when they call me, they call me to fix the problem. they already know my hourly rate. the parts are priced at retail. so as long as it doesn't go over an hour, there should not be any question on the price.

the customer was the issue. not the price or the service.

with new customers, i make sure they're home or i have their # to call them if it's beyond anything we discussed in advance.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I hated working for doctors, lawyers, engineers and architects, I would avoid them at all costs, It just doesnt seem right when they call you for the first time to say "hey what do you do for a living?" or does it?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

what would have happened when you shoedw up, give her your upfront flat rate price? i doubt that she would have allowed you to fix it either. so basically you too would have been more than she wanted to spend.

the problem was not the price, it was the customer. she called for service and the problem was fixed at a very fair price. what was she expecting? a free estimate for a nickle and dime job.

but when they call me, they call me to fix the problem. they already know my hourly rate. the parts are priced at retail. so as long as it doesn't go over an hour, there should not be any question on the price.

with new customers, i make sure they're home or i have their # to call them if it's beyond anything we discussed in advance.

rick.
                  I agree with you the customer is the problem here. And I have NOT found the doctors I have worked for to be "cheap". Good customers so far.

But you are completely wrong in judging anyone's flat rate OR time & materials price without knowing alot of information.

What is Service Guys' flat rate price for this?
                  What is the demographic price differences?
                  Business costs?
                  Insurance he chooses to use?
                  Lifestyle?
                  Housing?

Etc. etc.

If you know those things then maybe you have some foundation to mentioning it. Do you know those things?

J.C.

Comment

I never said the price wasn't fair. I said that he should have given her an uprfront price.
                    Here is the difference:
                    He did the work, gave her a bill for $140 and she flipped, doesn't want to pay.
                    I give her a price of $140 BEFORE I do the work, she flips, I don't do the work.

Both ways the price is the same, but the flatrate way saves me from doing free work.
                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      I agree with you the customer is the problem here. And I have NOT found the doctors I have worked for to be "cheap". Good customers so far.

But you are completely wrong in judging anyone's flat rate OR time & materials price without knowing alot of information.

What is Service Guys' flat rate price for this?
                      What is the demographic price differences?
                      Business costs?
                      Insurance he chooses to use?
                      Lifestyle?
                      Housing?

Etc. etc.

If you know those things then maybe you have some foundation to mentioning it. Do you know those things?

J.C.
                      i find it hard to believe that anyone individual has anywhere near the cost of living or overhead that i do. between the cost of housing, shop, insurance, taxes, vehicles, tools, ect. like i said i doubt there is 1 individual that would want to tackle these cost.

i know for a fact that a flat rate price would have been very close to the 140 that was charged if it was based on the real hour of work.

i know for a fact that out here, there are flat rate companies that charge 600 for that job. how do i know? 2 of those shops are within a short walk. 1 is 1/2 block and the other is 1 mile.

so the issue was not the price, it was the customer.

i doubt anything flat rate is $85 for a 1 job call.

correct me with the facts.

there are many checks that i go to the bank with that are under $50.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        I never said the price wasn't fair. I said that he should have given her an uprfront price.
                        Here is the difference:
                        He did the work, gave her a bill for $140 and she flipped, doesn't want to pay.
                        I give her a price of $140 BEFORE I do the work, she flips, I don't do the work.

Both ways the price is the same, but the flatrate way saves me from doing free work.
                        the issue is she called for service, service is not free. did she not know the hourly rate of the company she called? i doubt it.

i work for at well over 100 doctors. the easiest way to get a dr. on the phone is to tell the office staff that it's "rick the plumber" and i'm calling from the dr's house.

the dr./ customer would have wasted his time coming out based on any price, hourly or flat rate.

in all the years i've been working, the 3 nsf checks i've recieved have been from 1 doctor and 2 lawyers

these are non sufficent funds. they just didn't have the money in their account. i'm not talking thousands, 2 were under 200 and the other was under 600.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I have no doubt you have higher expenses than some.
                          I have no doubt that you stay very busy.
                          I have no doubt that there are some companies rates that seem much more expensive but may not be as efficient ie. profitable.

I also have little doubt that you're a good guy, plumber, & that your customers call you because of that.

But I also have no doubt that the main reason ALOT of your customers call you is because you're cheaper.

Even though you're very efficient, maybe you should consider increases.

J.C.

Comment

Rick, I completely agree that the customer was a problem type, she sounds like a real douchebag.
                            But quoting her a price and having her agree (and even sign) beforehand would have saved a lot of headaches. I have worked by the hour and by the job, and by the job is WAY LESS HEADACHES in my experience.

Comment

BTW, my roads are covered with ice and snow so I'm taking the day off. That is why you'll see me posting here today annoying everyone and gettign into arguments. Its a pastime. I'm also doing office work in between posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X