The problems with pex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The problems with pex

Thanks Easy. I'm familiar with all that you posted.

Zurn, Viega, & others? were never designed for expansion connection to my knowledge. An expansion test on these doesn't show superiority. Nor would a crimp test on Wirsbo. An engineer at Wirsbo/Uponor told me that they abandoned the crimp ring because there piping would "reverse memory" & push against the ring causing leaks. He also stated that they had cases reported to him of this happening. I asked.

I can't find anything saying that A is superior to B, or C in piping or vice versa.

Zurn had a fitting problem.

I've been looking for piping/tubing problems in all forms of PEX.

This is a good thread for anyone to post links related to the piping/tubing.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

ok ok try this link.

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/heati...nkbenefits.htm

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post

Thanks Easy. Good chart I'm putting into the analyzer.

J.C.

Comment

What is the life expectancy of pex?

I was taught on copper so I guess I'm a copper snob.

Pex is legal here, but so was poly at one time.

When people ask I say use pex only under raised houses, copper in wall and attic.

Is the verdict in on this pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            In N.C. I am not aware of ANY rat attacks on PEX. The majority for the area is Viega with some Uponor/Wirsbo & Zurn rounding it out.

Someone told me that rat poison makes them crave water badly. Maybe the can "sense" it in the Wirsbo. Don't know. But once again I haven't seen, repaired, or heard of rat attacks in my area.

Viega & Uponor have some good products to my knowledge. No suits. Pushing 30 years total foreign & domestic use.

What I believe to be a reliable source told me that Rehau will only continue to make pipe. No fittings. And Kitec was stopping PEX plumbing production.

Zurn has had some trouble with fittings failing to my knowledge.

Double check behind me though.

J.C.
            Viega & Uponor/Wirsbo are all I would consider at this time.

J.C.

Comment

Wirsbo Pex is guaranteed for 25 years. It has been tested for over 30 years and used a lot in Europe. It should last forever. I have used it in trailers.... and 2700 ft master suites. I trust it. Copper is a money maker no doubt never had a problem with it.
              California put it in their code just recently so it must be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Thanks Easy. I'm familiar with all that you posted.

Zurn, Viega, & others? were never designed for expansion connection to my knowledge. An expansion test on these doesn't show superiority. Nor would a crimp test on Wirsbo. An engineer at Wirsbo/Uponor told me that they abandoned the crimp ring because there piping would "reverse memory" & push against the ring causing leaks. He also stated that they had cases reported to him of this happening. I asked.

I can't find anything saying that A is superior to B, or C in piping or vice versa.

Zurn had a fitting problem.

I've been looking for piping/tubing problems in all forms of PEX.

This is a good thread for anyone to post links related to the piping/tubing.

Thanks.

J.C.
                Interesting about the "reverse Memory" I got off the phone this morning with a "premium" manufacturer of valves and they told me I can use their type "B" valves with crimp rings on wersbo ...

Hmmmm What shall I do ?

Dave

I have an "experimental" wersbo connection in service at my shop I over expanded 3/8" wersbo and Installed a 1/2" wersbo fitting I have had this under "test" for about 6 years still no problems ... would NEVER consider using it on a customers job though ...

Comment

when I was in still in So. Cal. we had a pex line that a rat chewed through. The homeowner had put out poison, the first problem he had was chewed open water bottles in the garage. He removed those, then they got to the pex.

I was always told when using poison, put out a water bowl. You will find you rodents near it. This might save the pex, but also makes it nice not to have rodents in random places.

Was this thread on Pex or Pest control?

Comment

I have been using pex for a few years and I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Never seen a animal chew it, but I have seen my share of fitting failures especially 90 elbows. I also question the flow rate of pex vs. copper.

Just recently I seen a 3/4" cpvc elbow glued to 3/4" pex.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Still never had a rat chew through cooper pipe!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                        Still never had a rat chew through cooper pipe!!!!
                        I've never seen a rat chew through copper pipe either, but I've seen our local city water eat through it! Pex is the only logical economical solution.

Comment

Rats were getting into the pex back when it was white only.Haven't had any problems I've heard of since they started colors years ago.Wonder what they have done with the composition.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                            I have been using pex for a few years and I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Never seen a animal chew it, but I have seen my share of fitting failures especially 90 elbows. I also question the flow rate of pex vs. copper.

Just recently I seen a 3/4" cpvc elbow glued to 3/4" pex.
                            What type of pex (expanded or crimped) failers have you seen, and do you know the brand?

Comment

My local supply house is now stocking a UV protected pex as their standard pipe...

I will get a piece tomorrow. It is a dark red or blue (not translucent) with a black liner inside the pipe...

I first thought it was some kind of oxygen barrier pex but it is a Wrisbo UV protected potable water pex...

Anyone had any experience with this stuff?

Okie

Comment

I like th Wirsbo better than the Zurn products. Just looking at the expansion rings clamped down on the fitting looks better than a crimp ring or quick ring. I have been putting more in my own house lately. I just ran a new 3/4" line for my well (in side the house only)just today.
                                I asked the Wirsbo rep, when I was getting my cert, if there was any rodent resistance or repellant in their pipe and he said "no! next question".
                                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                                X