The problems with pex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The problems with pex

Personally i prefer the Viega aluminum pex. the pex has no issues with hot water making it sag and the mice cant get through the metal barrier between the 2 coats of pex. At least not that ive heard of yet

Comment

Went to the supply house today and looked at the new PEX that is being pushed...

It is Vanguard "Ultra"

Looks like good stuff

Comment

I will be removing some vanguard pex today. It was installed in a restaurant kitchen and couldn't put up with the beating and sanitization chemicals that splashed onto it. I'll try to remember to get pictures.
        Mike

Comment

I've got a good memory. Too bad it's so short. I had the camera in the van and forgot to take pictures
          Mike

Comment

I've heard of rats/mice eating at pipes though it is a rare occurance. From those I've chatted with, whether they know there's water within, the vibration when not in a static condition or somthing in the pipe itself is an endless arguement.
            As mentioned in other comments, we are starting to hear of numerous problems with pex related products such as failing brass fittings, pipe failure due to soft water situations and most recently the colouring bleeding out of the pipes.
            An earlier note about pex fittings crimped with wirsbo will work and is acceptable by competitor companies, but by doing so you void the warrenty of the products by either company.

Comment

I remember when I was much younger and I worked at a Pup. We periodically would have rats eat through the draft beer lines because they could smell the beer through the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
                I remember when I was much younger and I worked at a Pup. We periodically would have rats eat through the draft beer lines because they could smell the beer through the pipe.

mmm

beer
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by mtburdick View Post
                  Personally i prefer the Viega aluminum pex. the pex has no issues with hot water making it sag and the mice cant get through the metal barrier between the 2 coats of pex. At least not that ive heard of yet

Never had issues with rodents. I exclusively use Viega Pex products, mostly the Viega Pureflow with the stainless steel sleeves. I also use a lot of the stuff you're talking about, it's called Fostapex. I don't think there is a better pex product made. Rodents can't chew through it, you can bend it and it keeps it's shape, great product. Also no problems with dezincificationi, Viega is used with the Bronze fittings, they were thinking ahead!
                  I've spoken with reps from both Viega and Wirsbo about using Viega fittings and sleeves on the Wirsbo pipe for repairs, water heater change outs etc., they both said no problem. Did one today, cut the wirsbo back to within 6" of the wall and ran Viega from there down to the water heater.
                  Last edited by ironranger; 03-16-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

605.6 Fittings.
                    Pipe fittings shall be approved for installation
                    with the piping material installed and shall conform to the respective
                    pipe standards or one of the standards listed in Table
                    605.6. All pipe fittings utilized in water supply systems shall
                    also conform to NSF 61. The fittings shall not have ledges,
                    shoulders or reductions capable of retarding or obstructing flow
                    in the piping. Ductile and gray iron pipe fittings shall be cement
                    mortar lined in accordance with A W A C104.

Nowhere in the code does it say that you can compensate for the restriction by upsizing the system.

The following paragraphs are from the NSF and for those that think that because the product has a NSF 61 listing that alone makes it code compliant. It indeed does not. NSF certification does not cover product performance as to flow characteristics.

NSF/ANSI Standard 61 Drinking Water System Components - Health Effects is the standard that establishes minimum health effects requirements for the chemical contaminants and impurities that may be indirectly imparted to drinking water. The standard provides the criteria used to evaluate the public health safety of materials, components, products, or systems that contact drinking water, drinking water chemicals, or both.

NSF/ANSI Standard 61 does not address all aspects of product use. The standard is focused and limited to addressing potential health effects except where specific application and performance standards are referenced. Some items not addressed by this standard are performance (such as burst pressure and flow characteristics), taste and odor, microbiological growth support, and electrical safety. Other standards may address these aspects of products.

sigpic

Comment

Nothing in my code book regarding ledges etc. I live by one code, it's the Minnesota Plumbing Code chapter 4715. Pex is sized the same as copper as per fixture units, pressure and developed length. I have yet to have a state inpector ask me if my bronze certified Viega fittings have a ledge and I doubt they ever will.

Comment

That is right out of the 06 IPC and is also word for word in the UPC.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Right. There once was a cross hatch drawing in my old book of the supply fittings.

Saying that ALL fittings AND valves must be FULL BORE.

I pointed it out to several inspectors and they didn't have much to say about it.

J.C.

Comment

lso conform to NSF 61. The fittings shall not have ledges,
                            shoulders or reductions capable of retarding or obstructing flow
                            in the piping.

I have a Viega bronze fitting and a wirsbo plastic fitting in my hand and there isn't any kind of ridge inside the fitting. It's a smooth bore one piece fitting all the way through. Are you trying to say that when the pipe is attached it creates a ridge? If so, that's not what the code is stating. Read it again, it's talking about fittings. The fittings do not have ledges, shoulders or reductions.
                            Besides, the point is mute anyway. There has never been a problem with flow using pex. It's sized the same way you size copper or cpvc.

Comment

Sounds good to me. Now convince the jury
                              sigpic

Comment

Sounds good to me. Now convince the jury

I hear ya but I don't think any lawsuit will ever be about there being a ridge inside the pipe, fittings connections.

Comment

Working...
                                X