X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problems with pex

The use of PEX piping has just recently been approved for the city of Los Angeles. I have heard stories of rats and mice that have eaten through the tubing, is anyone aware of this? In addition to the UV exposure and issues with some of the fittings, what other drawbacks exist.

Re: The problems with pex

I love pex... Wirsbo or Rehau are best.

Just dont kink it when you put it through the turn out brackets or going through holes on he top plates to run it down a wall.

Never heard of it being eaten through. I suppose that would be possible but no more so then any other plastic pipe.

Comment

Rats Looooove Wersbo ... Do Not Know why ...LOL Not a warranty Issue anyway It's Specifically Excluded in my Contracts ... Also Keep it away from Heat ... Take the Uponor Training Course ... They Come to You :-)

Dave

Comment

In N.C. I am not aware of ANY rat attacks on PEX. The majority for the area is Viega with some Uponor/Wirsbo & Zurn rounding it out.

Someone told me that rat poison makes them crave water badly. Maybe the can "sense" it in the Wirsbo. Don't know. But once again I haven't seen, repaired, or heard of rat attacks in my area.

Viega & Uponor have some good products to my knowledge. No suits. Pushing 30 years total foreign & domestic use.

What I believe to be a reliable source told me that Rehau will only continue to make pipe. No fittings. And Kitec was stopping PEX plumbing production.

Zurn has had some trouble with fittings failing to my knowledge.

Double check behind me though.

J.C.

Comment

pex condensates, so if the rat poison makes them thirsty that would explain why they get drawn to it, then, it's a rat, it's going to chew. But i've never had to go to a rat repair for any kind of waterline.
          With Pex the general idea is the bottom line, it's cheeper and faster to install. Your competitors will be bidding with it, can you afford Not to?

you'll still end up with customers who demand copper, but for the most part, it's going to be whatever is cheepest.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have Replaced a lot of pre pex plastic that was eaten by rats ,possums ,squirrels ...If you can eat it i dont want it

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              In N.C. I am not aware of ANY rat attacks on PEX. The majority for the area is Viega with some Uponor/Wirsbo & Zurn rounding it out.

Someone told me that rat poison makes them crave water badly. Maybe the can "sense" it in the Wirsbo. Don't know. But once again I haven't seen, repaired, or heard of rat attacks in my area.

Viega & Uponor have some good products to my knowledge. No suits. Pushing 30 years total foreign & domestic use.

What I believe to be a reliable source told me that Rehau will only continue to make pipe. No fittings. And Kitec was stopping PEX plumbing production.

Zurn has had some trouble with fittings failing to my knowledge.

Double check behind me though.

J.C.
              PEX has ratings based on the method of extrusion. Wirsbo and Rehau are the only A rated pipes.
              Zurn is B which means crimping is the only way you should connect it with. It is not a good product line.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                I have Replaced a lot of pre pex plastic that was eaten by rats ,possums ,squirrels ...If you can eat it i dont want it

I get copper zinc and Iron in my vitamins.

It is a trade off you get oxidation with any metal pipe which causes failure. I have changed out a lot of galvanized.

Comment

ive replaced alot of qest pb pipe with mice holes, no pex though. weve been having a lot of problems with wirsbo/uponor getting pin hole leaks on the hot side. i use zurn havent had a problem YET!
                  Mike
                  Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                  www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                    ive replaced alot of qest pb pipe with mice holes, no pex though. weve been having a lot of problems with wirsbo/uponor getting pin hole leaks on the hot side. i use zurn havent had a problem YET!
                    We used to get drywall screw holes and Stucco staple holes. But then that happened to copper and pex.

Uponor was having trouble in Las Vegas with the crimp ring fittings that were under ground. Apparently the "soil " is so harsh that the rings dissolved. So they discontinued the crimp ring fastening system. Now they have the expander tool line and they make rehau style fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                      PEX has ratings based on the method of extrusion. Wirsbo and Rehau are the only A rated pipes.
                      Zurn is B which means crimping is the only way you should connect it with. It is not a good product line.
                      Yes it is a European rating based on extrusion method.

However, it is not a grading system in any way. So Type A is not considered to be better than Type B, Type C or vice versa.

It's considered to be nothing more than a description of how the PEX is made.

J.C.

Comment

I have been using Wirsbo Pex with expander rings and fittings for about 8 years now in commercial and residential applications and have never had any issues except when exposed to UV sun rays from deteriorated insulation on a rooftop application to a bank of swamp coolers. I have a lot of faith in their product and I was a "copper lifer".

Comment

http://www.zurnclassaction.com/index.html

There is a difference.

Comment

Teach me. Please direct me to the engineering articles stating that the A, B, & C designations are a rating system from best to worst when referring to the pipe.

I am familiar with Peroxide, Irradiation, & Silane methods & there degree of crosslinking, installation methods, benefits and drawbacks.

Also knew of Zurn's fitting problems for awhile.

Links help. Then I can print it to put in the files just in case. Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

PEX-A (PE-Xa, PEXa)

PEX-A is produced by the peroxide (Engel) method.[2] This method performs "hot" cross-linking, above the crystal melting temperature. It provides more consistent and uniform cross-linking with better control over the production process. However the process takes longer and tends to be more expensive than the other two methods, because the polymer has to be kept at high temperature and pressure for long periods during the extrusion process. The cross-linked bonds are between carbon atoms.

[edit] PEX-B (PE-Xb, PEXb)

The silane method, also called the "moisture cure" method, results in PEX-B. In this method, cross-linking is performed in a secondary post-extrusion process, producing cross-links between a cross-linking agent. The process is accelerated with heat and moisture. The cross-linked bonds are formed through silanol condensation between 2 grafted vinyltrimethoxysilane (VTMS) units, connecting the polyethylene chains with C-C-Si-O-Si-C-C bridges.

[edit] PEX-C (PE-Xc, PEXc)

PEX-C is produced through electron beam processing, in a "cold" cross-linking process (below the crystal melting temperature). It provides less uniform, lower-degree cross-linking than the Engel method, especially at tube diameters over one inch (2.5 cm), and when the process is not controlled properly, the outer layer of the tubes may become brittle. However, it is the cleanest, most environmentally friendly method of the three, since it does not involve other chemicals and uses only high-energy electrons to split the carbon-hydrogen bonds and facilitate cross-linking.

You can tell the difference when you put a expanding tool into zurn and it never quite makes it back
                              Last edited by EasyEman; 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X