X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underground natural gas leak

I am at a rural school facility chasing a d##n gas leak.This stuff has been added to, taken from, and modified by every country wanabe in a 20 mile radius. Question is , how are yall finding underground leaks????I have tried and tried to get the school to repipe, but no no no, they tend to think they are getting out cheaper by just fixing what is there. Only thing is, after a week of hit and miss, we are still not finished.guys any info would be helpful, before I go postal and shoot everyone involed. some days your the windshield, some days your the bug.....

Re: underground natural gas leak

Get the gas co. to come use there gas sniffer. I believe Ridgid makes one if you wanted to buy one. Keep trying to get them to re route the lines. Explain how dangerous this could end up. Gas is nothing to play around with. Let parents find out, then see if they fix it right. Good luck!

Comment

if it is grassed the grass may be discolored or dead where it is leaking,

pictures on the below sites,
      http://rentalrealproperty.com/wordpress/?p=57

http://www.cityofdunlap.com/gas%20pu...areness%20.htm
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When we have one main that feeds several structures, the first thing we do is install ball valves to isolate everything and to test the buildings. If you have leaks in the ground, your just chasing your tail, to properly test your work you will continue to find the weakest areas and a week after you think you fixed it you will be back. It's time for a new line.

Comment

Yea had to do this at a factory once. Its easiest to get the gas co. to bring a gas sniffer.

Comment

Get the gas company involved. If that doesn't work, call your local gas inspector. If all else fails, drop a dime to a news paper.

Comment

had a school gas leak job like that ,the gas co put a little extra stink in the pipe to see if we could smell it out...
              6 weeks later i had the under ground pipes changed out
              some jobs never end

Comment

had a gas leak so bad at a high end condo that we couldn't get it to hold air while filling with an air bottle. then tried 2 portable air compressors. only went to 5 psi.

finally a 160cfm tow-able compressor. figured we could hear it sounding like a sand blaster. nothing. gas co. told us it was inside. heard nothing.

went outside and watered down the 40' area between the meter and where it entered the building. the ground was bubbling all over the place.

found out that all 11 as lines that were installed just 6 years earlier were not factory wrapped. all the lines were rotted, but at 7'' w.c. it didn't show up until the gas co. had shut the unit off and went to clock test the meter. the line was 3' deep and buried under landscaping that looked like a park. even had to pull 2 mature palm trees.

original plumbing contractor was already out of business. the original gc contractor picked up the tab. don't know how the city ever signed off on this project as they are typically very hard nosed.

even if you find the leak, it's usually not very feasible to re-thread a section of buried gas pipe. i guess you need to see it's general condition.

now if you really want to locate it. have a co. do a helium test. the helium is such a small molecule that it will escape out of the smallest hole and then can be sniffed with a helium sniffer.

or you can just walk around till you find funny talking people

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks yall. Rick i never heard of the helium trick.yall were thinking the same way i am. Funny how great minds think alike!!!!:d

Comment

Originally posted by JW3 View Post
                    Thanks yall. Rick i never heard of the helium trick.yall were thinking the same way i am. Funny how great minds think alike!!!!:d
                    Except for the ones running the place who are not able to see the savings of replacing the line completely.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                      Get the gas company involved. If that doesn't work, call your local gas inspector. If all else fails, drop a dime to a news paper.
                      Drop a dime to the PTA president about unsafe conditions at the school! Guaranteed results. Hell hath no fury like a soccer mom on a mission!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        went outside and watered down the 40' area between the meter and where it entered the building. the ground was bubbling all over the place.rick.
                        Priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by JW3 View Post
                          I am at a rural school facility chasing a d##n gas leak.This stuff has been added to, taken from, and modified by every country wanabe in a 20 mile radius. Question is , how are yall finding underground leaks????I have tried and tried to get the school to repipe, but no no no, they tend to think they are getting out cheaper by just fixing what is there. Only thing is, after a week of hit and miss, we are still not finished.guys any info would be helpful, before I go postal and shoot everyone involed. some days your the windshield, some days your the bug.....

Has'nt the gas company locked down the meter yet. The do that first thing when there is a leak here. That is the quickest way to get the ball rolling. No heat no food no hot water. The school closed.

Comment

YES THE GAS CO. HAS LOCKED DOWN THE METER.EVERY YEAR IN TX SCHOOLS HAVE TO HAVE AN ANNUAL GAS TEST. THE SCHOOL HAS HAD ONE FOR YRS, BUT THE FUNNY THING IS NONE OF THE SCHOOL OFFICALS HAVE EVERY SEEN ANYONE PUT A GUAGE ON THE CUSTOMER SIDE OF THE METER. THE LAST GUY NEVER DID THAT. COME TO FIND OUT, THIS YAHOO DIDN'T PRESSURE TEST ANYTHING, HE JUST WALKED AROUND THE HALLS INSIDE THE SCHOOL WITH A "SNIFFER" THIS JACKASS WASNT EVEN A LICENSED PLUMBER.THIS IS THE LARGEST REASON I HATE WORKING IN UNICORPORATED AREAS. IF TRIED TO PULL SOMETHING LIKE THIS THEY WOULD PUT MY A$$UNDER THE JAILHOUSE. AGAIN THANKS, ITS NICE TO HAVE PEOPLE LIKE MINDED TO BOUCE IDEAS OFF OF,AND VENT TO!!!!

Comment

You'd think in TX they would be the world leader in gas safety with the history of NG there.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X