X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwater valves

How well do they work? I replaced an old cast iron one with a pvc one a little over a year ago. This house lot is lower than others surrounding it. When it rains real hard their sewer tends to back up and they are not even on a private sewer system.(no septic tank) The last hard rain we got the sewer backed up into the house. Why would the backwater valve not prevent this? I checked it out today, only to find a little grease behind the flap. Cleand it up put the cap back on and hope it is ok.
    Last edited by plumbertim1975; 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM.

Re: Backwater valves

I guess anything could block that flapper, then the water would keep coming in.

They did a real good example of a replacement BW valve install recently on Ask This Old House. Might be able to find it online. They installed a double check cast iron backwater valve with a pump system.

First I'd seen installed. Don't run into too many below-the-main situations here.

J.C.

Comment

I haven't found it yet. If I do, I'll link it. They are behind at posting more recent shows on their site.

J.C.

Comment

Go here http://www.jrsmith.com/ check out backwater valves , then flood gates automatic backwater valves.

I had the same issue years ago in an old part of my city with combination storm and sanitary, I installed one for my customer and it's been great so far.

Comment

It wont take much to keep the flapper from sealing good.
          If the wrong thing was still trying to go through the valve at the time the rain water wanted in ...it wont seal

Comment

I've installed many here on combined sewers with mixed results. Sure, it keeps the thousands of gallons of storm water from ending up in your basement from the main out front. It still doesn't help with the few hundred gallons coming off your rear downspouts during a downpour.

Comment

Working...
            X