No announcement yet.

The "Once and For ALL" Tankless Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Once and For ALL" Tankless Thread!

Ask me any question regarding tankless water heaters.

I promise to answer to the best of my knowledge and will not be biased to one company or another.

I've been in the Tankless field for 6 years and have worked for two manufacturers.....I've almost seen it in regards to installs.

If there is anything I can do to help....just post a comment here.

Plus, I like to talk with the people in the field getting their hands dirty!

(I'm not looking for a bash fest , but i am open to debate. )

Re: The "Once and For ALL" Tankless Thread!

I was at a customers today and they had a Bosch. They said the orig. install was screwed up. a day for the owner to straighten up and make right.
    One of the stranger comments about this install was that the entire install had to be raised up?! Why would this need to be. It was an atmospheric vent.
    Beyond that I noticed no hook ups to flush this out. This was in town so 4 grains hardness to our water here.
    Seems to me you have water,proper venting,enough gas it will go.SO....
    What would have been wrong with the first install?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
      I was at a customers today and they had a Bosch. They said the orig. install was screwed up. a day for the owner to straighten up and make right.
      One of the stranger comments about this install was that the entire install had to be raised up?! Why would this need to be. It was an atmospheric vent.
      Beyond that I noticed no hook ups to flush this out. This was in town so 4 grains hardness to our water here.
      Seems to me you have water,proper venting,enough gas it will go.SO....
      What would have been wrong with the first install?
      Great, the first question on here and I can't answer it.

I do know on the older atmospheric units the air intake was on the bottom of the units......maybe there wasn't enough clearance to the opening?

Dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceandforAll View Post
        Ask me any question regarding tankless water heaters.

I promise to answer to the best of my knowledge and will not be biased to one company or another.

I've been in the Tankless field for 6 years and have worked for two manufacturers.....I've almost seen it in regards to installs.

If there is anything I can do to help....just post a comment here.

Plus, I like to talk with the people in the field getting their hands dirty!

(I'm not looking for a bash fest , but i am open to debate. )

Weren't you just telling everyone to install a t&p on a tankless water heater?

how many have you installed?

when you install the service kit, as you are supposed to do per manufacturer,, where does the probe go for the t&p?

TANKLESS ONLY GETS INSTALLED WITH A PRESSURE RELIEF, NOT A TEMP AND PRESSURE RELIEF. THERE IS NO NEED FOR A TEMP RELIEF ON A NON STORAGE TYPE WATER HEATER.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          Weren't you just telling everyone to install a t&p on a tankless water heater?

how many have you installed?

when you install the service kit, as you are supposed to do per manufacturer,, where does the probe go for the t&p?

TANKLESS ONLY GETS INSTALLED WITH A PRESSURE RELIEF, NOT A TEMP AND PRESSURE RELIEF. THERE IS NO NEED FOR A TEMP RELIEF ON A NON STORAGE TYPE WATER HEATER.
          GO BACK AND READ MY POSTS.

and I have installed three myself........and helped on hundreds.

I've walked people through thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceandforAll View Post
            GO BACK AND READ MY POSTS.

and I have installed three myself........and helped on hundreds.

I've walked people through thousands.

Guess that was plumber tim, for some reason I thought I quoted you...
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Good to see WC around some. Hope it's mostly 'cause you've been so busy.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                Guess that was plumber tim, for some reason I thought I quoted you...
                No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                  Hah, are you making fun of me?

Comment

Here's my question: Why in hell would anyone spend all that money to save a lousy 4% on the gas bill and have to put up with stacking, lower water pressure, selective fixture use, delta t problems when inlet temp drops too low, scaling of the het exchanger, long wait times and the list goes on. I can answer all questions also.

CRAP, CRAP, CRAPPITY CRAP

Now let's do waterless urinals
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Here's my question: Why in hell would anyone spend all that money to save a lousy 4% on the gas bill and have to put up with stacking, lower water pressure, selective fixture use, delta t problems when inlet temp drops too low, scaling of the het exchanger, long wait times and the list goes on. I can answer all questions also.
                      Do you want to discuss these issues or are you just trolling?

BTW, half of your list are incorrect sizing issues, .

Now let's do waterless urinals
                      Don't highjack this thread...start yer own.

Comment

Here's my question: Why in hell would anyone spend all that money to save a lousy 4% on the gas bill and have to put up with stacking, lower water pressure, selective fixture use, delta t problems when inlet temp drops too low, scaling of the het exchanger, long wait times and the list goes on.
                        Though I've installed more than a few, I'm not an advocate of tankless water heaters, so my perspective is relatively neutral. I'll give you two reasons why more than one of my customers chose tankless. First, their smaller footprint saves valuable square footage. In homes that run over $1000/sq.ft. thats a big deal. Second, if sized appropriately a tankless set up can (at a pretty price) satisfy hot water demand indefinitely.

Comment

I only install tankless under one of three conditions:
                          1. Customer demands one.
                          2. Space issues.
                          3. Need for endless hot water.

Other than that, I don't recommend them. NHmaster brought up some good points. You dismissed them as being half true so lets talk about it.

Please try to sell me on tankless. Plumbers already know this rodeo.

Here are some questions.

Does a tankless require it's own dedicated electrical circuit?
                          When venting out a wall does it matter which side of the house it is on?
                          How often should they be cleaned and how long does it take?
                          Does the use of a recirc. line shorten the warranty of the unit?
                          Will the customer save on their gas bill? Will their water bill go up?
                          Do you believe these units will last 20 years like manufactures claim?
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I find the confusion surrounding any of these units to be somewhat comical. Every single issue with them has been addressed in the manufacturers instructions. Every single warning has been adddressed and for that matter even the actual energy savings are addressed also if a person takes the time to thouroughly read and understand the instructions. The manufacturers bank on most folks never bothering to read them though. So you get a whole lot of folks that are either surprised, dismayed or both when the truth comes to light. Installing them is not rocket science. If they are properly sized, the gas line and vent are sized and properly installed and the water conditions are analyzed before hand, most of the concerns will be taken care to the degree that when the customer call to complain you should be able to say "yes indeed, I told you that would happen and you bought the piece of crap anyway"
                            sigpic

Comment

Tyman and NHMaster
                              Here's a link to a water heater that is somewhat of a hybrid. It uses a small heat exchanging tank of 3 gal capacity that has no minimum flow requirement to produce hot water and when plumbed with a recirc pump does not produce the cold water sandwich. Haven't installed one yet but I'm dying to get some real world feedback on it.
                              http://www.eternalwaterheater.com/te..._it_works.aspx
                              they also have an interesting sizing calculator:
                              http://eternaltools.eternalwaterheat...rnal_calc.html

Comment

Working...
                              X