X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Water heater Co. & Pilot light going out

Today I replaced, under warranty a natural gas burner assembly (minus the burner) for this unit. This must have been a swich-a-roo, because the one I took out, did not have the thermal switch. The h/o ordered the parts.

Let me add, I did not put the water heater in, nor did I call the company to discuss the problem.

The problem the h/o was having was this...the pilot kept going out. When you would go to light it, push the button down, ignite the pilot, pilot would light, then when the button was released, the pilot would go out. Occasionally, they were able to light the pilot, then they would turn up the temp to get super hot water because the pilot would go out again.

After installing, the unit was fired up and no problems were noticed. I called a while back, and the pilot is still lit.

Can American substitute the burner assemblies between water heaters? I noticed the FG series has no thermal switch, and the BFG has it. Whats the difference??
    Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 03-07-2009, 11:40 PM.

Re: American Water heater Co. & Pilot light going out

I didn't think that a non-FVIR heater could be converted to a FVIR.

Is that what you did?

Comment

the manager at a local supply house dealing with american had to come back to the store after hours to sell me the conversion kit to one of those to change the left hand thread thermo couple to a right hand. when he brought out the parts for me he handed me a control valve for it as well, and told me i'd be replacing that too, it's all under warranty, I have to drop the old parts back off to him monday, so it wasn't just for the upcharge.
      But, Apparently they are having a problem with American gas valves right now.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

No, I did not convert an older style to the FVIR. They apparently have two models, FG and BFG. FG only has the thermocouple shutoff for overheating and fire, and the BFG has both safety features, thermocouple and thermal switch. I found more research stating that if there was an issue with a flash, or overheating, the thermalcouple cannot be reset and the water heater lit. It must be replaced. The h/o was able to relight the water heater manually for about two weeks until I replaced the parts.

That might explain why they sent out a whole rebuild rather than a thermalcouple.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          the manager at a local supply house dealing with american had to come back to the store after hours to sell me the conversion kit to one of those to change the left hand thread thermo couple to a right hand. when he brought out the parts for me he handed me a control valve for it as well, and told me i'd be replacing that too, it's all under warranty, I have to drop the old parts back off to him monday, so it wasn't just for the upcharge.
          But, Apparently they are having a problem with American gas valves right now.
          The kit should have been free as it was part of an agreement due to a lawsuit settlement... The onetime overtemp safety and left hand thread thermocouple got them in trouble, the kits solve these issues.

I thought it was funny that the kit comes with everything except the orifice ( you use the old one)...

Comment

as mentioned the old left hand thermocouple incorporated a high limit built into it.

the new set up removes the high limit and puts it outside the burner / cover and has a manual reset.

remember that american appliance was the first company that designed the fvir system. all the others just followed. until others had their product, they couldn't switch over to the fvir requirements. there was a long delay for this to happen.i think it was 6 years ago.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

There was a class action suit on these water heaters. American is replacing the burners if the home owner calls. The FG heaters are eligible. The whole internal assembly should be switched. I think it has to do with a gas orifice.

If you call the toll free number on the water heater they will lead you through the ordering process with serial and model numbers.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I thought it was weird they included everything but the burner. I even mentioned waiting till Monday to check, but they wanted it installed. What was the lawsuit about?

Comment

The thread on this problem has been lightly covered here...
                  http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4362

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                    The kit should have been free as it was part of an agreement due to a lawsuit settlement... The onetime overtemp safety and left hand thread thermocouple got them in trouble, the kits solve these issues.

I thought it was funny that the kit comes with everything except the orifice ( you use the old one)...
                    The supply house has to pay for them, then they get a credit back when they provide the model and serial number, the supply house sold me the kit, and will credit my account when I show back up with the numbers so they can get their credit.

probably not how the deal is supposed to be done, but it's the only supplier for American water heater parts we have locally.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                    X