Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drtys not alone...

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    Why are you guys bragging about your own carelessness?

This is what I was trying to figure out, because I would feel compelled not to put that in view of the world.

I make my money above ground, I turn down calls like this all the time because it's not worth my time given I'd do it right, and shoring is a time killer compared to the next guy doing without and taking a chance. That's what is driving the lowest bid process.

All I can say is put your cheapest laborer down in the ditch; his life isn't worth much, let him die before yourself. That way when it happens, the "I'm sorry" routine costs less, literally.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Why are you guys bragging about your own carelessness? I hope you guys start using shoring as a habit before you end up dead. Oh well, its your life to gamble with. God knows I've done some dumb things in my day.

First off, when I posted my photos I had no idea what this was in regard to. I don't recall any situation with someone in an unsafe ditch or whatever. I hardly think anyone is bragging about working in life threatening situations. I know it was not my intention.

Secondly, you have no idea what the condition of the ditch was in my photos. I have been working at the end of a hoe since I was a kid. I never work with hack operators or in unsafe ditches. We have been trained by Trench Safety in Memphis, Tennessee. We have had competent person training, trench and excavation training, MANY HOURS of OSHA training and are certified for confined space entry.

Third, don't accuse someone of being careless when you know nothing about them!
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

OSHA requires shoring in these trenches. For good reason. I don't care what the soil conditions are, I am not risking my life going in any trench over shoulder deep without shoring, or at least stepping.
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM. Reason: opps
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

This is the way it goes.

You bid it the way you want.You plug in the price to have shoring onsite on every hole over 4'....Yeah Right.

it is against the law for us to be in any hole deeper than 4'.

Those videos....
          Well Gee-Wiz Every one of them where sucking mud.
          WOW...No Sh!t
          Yep,Idiots in charge sending Jose in to die.

I've got work to do.And I'm responsible for myself.I'm going in if I deem safe for myself.Totally different scenario if it was my guy.

If you don't feel safe on your job,go get some shoring.

I have told employers on many occassions to get their own A$$ in their hole,I'm NOT going in.

If you are reading this and do not have experience you have no reason even standing on the side of the ditch unless supervised.

Ahhh,
          Much better

Thank you for caring guys.
          Adam
          Last edited by drtyhands; 03-12-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I am no internet poser. A guy died in a trench collapse on a construction site I was on. A deep sewer line. I wasn't there, I was hired shortly after it happened. But the whole event scared the crap out of me, and I learned my lesson. This stuff happens WAY to frequently because the safety guidelines are ignored....often by people who know better.
            Just trying to spread the safety message. Don't die in a trench collapse. If you can't afford shoring, use a stepping method so there aren't any vertical walls to collapse.
            Last edited by Service Guy; 03-12-2009, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I am no internet poser. A guy died in a trench collapse on a construction site I was on. A deep sewer line. I wasn't there, I was hired shortly after it happened. But the whole event scared the crap out of me, and I learned my lesson.
              Just tryigng to spread the safety message.
              I am

Carl,
              We take care and look out for others.That's half(if not more) the reason people are a part of this community.

I don't like the poser line.It's kindof harsh.I think I'll delete it.

Comment

Adam, I know you are a smart guy and I am not picking on you or anybody for that matter. I just think that this not a subject to be joking about, "hey guys, look I'm in a deep trench with no shoring!" This is giving the readers out there the wrong message imo. Its better we educate people with vidoes like Dunbar posted, that way more and more will be scared into following safety guidelines.

I am not perfect either, I often neglect to use hardhats, earplugs, safety goggles, breathing masks, etc. when I work...I am getting better lately though. I been wearing my goggles much more often lately.

Comment

OSHA requires shoring in these trenches. For good reason. I don't care what the soil conditions are, I am not risking my life going in any trench over shoulder deep without shoring, or at least stepping.
                  OSHA applies to the protection of the employee not the employer. As Adam is self-employed OSHA does not apply to work he does. As an employer I have gone in to trenches I would not let my guys go in but felt they were safe enough for me to go in. We all have to make the call for ourselves. Shortly after Rick posted the photos I had "the" conversation with Adam who assured me the conditions were such he was not threatened. I trust Adam's ability to evaluate the area he was working with but shared a story about the day I had to stand with my brother-in-law while they dug one of his guys out.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Adam, I know you are a smart guy and I am not picking on you or anybody for that matter. I just think that this not a subject to be joking about, "hey guys, look I'm in a deep trench with no shoring!" This is giving the readers out there the wrong message imo. Its better we educate people with vidoes like Dunbar posted, that way more and more will be scared into following safety guidelines.

I am not perfect either, I often neglect to use hardhats, earplugs, safety goggles, breathing masks, etc. when I work...I am getting better lately though. I been wearing my goggles much more often lately.
                    I agree.People need to be led in the proper direction.
                    On the other hand I'm going to be truthfull in what I do even if it is on the computer where I'm working with a certain variable where people who are professional Bullsh!tters(Not directed at any 1 person specifically) to try and set another example.

I hope you weren't waiting on this post.I had chicken and a phone call.Or was it the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      On the other hand I'm going to be truthfull in what I do even if it is on the computer where I'm working with a certain variable where people who are professional Bullsh!tters(Not directed at any 1 person specifically) to try and set another example.

I hope you weren't waiting on this post.I had chicken and a phone call.Or was it the other way around.
                      I was going to say "what a coincidence" but I actually had chicken and zucchini.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Who you calling a professional BS'er!!? I'll make you turn your hat around!

There's you drama....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          OSHA applies to the protection of the employee not the employer. As Adam is self-employed OSHA does not apply to work he does. As an employer I have gone in to trenches I would not let my guys go in but felt they were safe enough for me to go in. We all have to make the call for ourselves. Shortly after Rick posted the photos I had "the" conversation with Adam who assured me the conditions were such he was not threatened. I trust Adam's ability to evaluate the area he was working with but shared a story about the day I had to stand with my brother-in-law while they dug one of his guys out.
                          Mark
                          OSHA may not apply, but liability insurance does. Flaunting OSHA rules can jeopardize one's insurability.

Comment

Working...
                          X