X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron filter

i have a customer who i do alot of work for he is on a well he has a water softner its been in place for 5 years, he just finished a complete house remodel and his new fixtures are turning orange he wants me to install a iron filter. whats the proper way to install one before the softner, or after any other tips ive installed softners before but never a iron filter.
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: Iron filter

Here was my experience and what I would suggest you suggest to your customer.

After moving into our home in the mid-west, I notice we were getting the discoloring due to high iron from our well.

I had our water tested (was sent to local university lab where they test well water). This report gave me counts on hardness, iron, nitrates, manganese, ph, alkalinity, tannis......

A local softener company wanted to sell me their iron filter, but it didn't filter everything we had.

I ended up buying through rain dance water systems (did this all online). I have yet to run a test to check current water quality, but there is a noticeable difference in the water quality.

My system is a combo filter and softener.

I say all this to suggest you have their water tested, and don't just filter the iron, see what else might be in there

Good luck.

Comment

I agree with RDW, get a full spectrum analysis and go to your supplier. I have installed a couple fo lancaster Iron/Magnesium removal systems and are very easy to install. Schematics are very well drawn and clear to read. Whichever system you may decide to use they are just as easy to install as a softner. Make sure that you discharge to a seperate system such as a drywell, I HATE discharging these into a septic I usually figure a drywell into the price. Make sure that you size the drywell correctly though. I may go overboard but i have done perc tests to see how well the water drains into the soils before I just install a 300 gallon drywell. let me know the system you choose as well as soil type and i will be happy to size it for you. any further questions please feel free to PM me anytime- Rich

Comment

It goes before the softener. The one we install have the media seperate from the mineral tank, so you have to fill it. I think it is a nice install.

This is the one I install most:
        http://www.macclean.com/products/fil...CWT8530807.pdf

Here is the one with the pump. Kinda loud but I like them better.
        http://www.macclean.com/products/fil...TCWT845MAX.pdf

Two types of air injection used. One uses a small motor, to inject air. It is kinda loud but does a nice job. The other uses a special brass fitting called a hydro charger. It goes before the well tank if they are on a well. Sometimes the hydro charger can go bad so be aware of that if you install it and I always put in a union there.

I just happen to be going to more water treatment training today and tomorrow at Flint & Walling. If you have any more questions I can ask them for you.
        Last edited by Tyman; 03-11-2009, 07:18 AM.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
          It goes before the softener. The one we install have the media seperate from the mineral tank, so you have to fill it. I think it is a nice install.

This is the one I install most:
          http://www.macclean.com/products/fil...CWT8530807.pdf

Here is the one with the pump. Kinda loud but I like them better.
          http://www.macclean.com/products/fil...TCWT845MAX.pdf

Two types of air injection used. One uses a small motor, to inject air. It is kinda loud but does a nice job. The other uses a special brass fitting called a hydro charger. It goes before the well tank if they are on a well. Sometimes the hydro charger can go bad so be aware of that if you install it and I always put in a union there.

I just happen to be going to more water treatment training today and tomorrow at Flint & Walling. If you have any more questions I can ask them for you.

Will this Iron filter remove tannins too? I've been using a stenner pump , injecting clorine and removing with a charcoal filter. This is at my house, by the way. so I would love to get rid of the clorine injection and charcoal filter, as it's just something to have to work on all the freaking time.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X