Abs split wye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abs split wye

The weight of the 2" line on the wye branch probably caused the split. An expansion joint or a simple riser clamp secured to the line at the plate level of the immediate floor above would have prevented the crack.
    An abs coupling sitting on the plate will also work as a riser clamp, we use them on under floors and 2nd floors, adds another pipe support at each termination and the couplings are cheap. Oh and they take up less space.
    sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Funny to see ABS so high up, 6th floor and all. I know in city of los angeles, abs is not allowed in 3 or more stories. You can beg the city to allow it and it is a case by case basis.

I had a call today, 3 x 2 abs wye, single story, under the house, no stress on the fitting, cracked same as that wye did. No need for expansion joints in this install. I wish I took a picture.

I think it is poor fittings.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

You've just ruined the integrity if that shear wall.
        Why didn't you cut from the other side.
        No more than a 6"X6" hole.
        And you cut the 1X6 let-in tie in half.
        I'm afraid I'll have to notify someone on this.I got a guy who specializes in these matters.
        I think he refers to himself as an expert witness for people wanting to protect themselves and their property.

The only way to remedy this situation is to block the entire perimimeter (4 sides) with 3X6 and stitch nail 1-1/2" on center with #10's.We're going to have to pull the entire wall and install a new let-in from the top to bottom plate.

I'll be needing you records of work on this complex.We'll pull all your previous invoices on our end.
        Lets get all the work you've done over the past fifteen years opened back up and inspected.
        Do you know a good drywaller and painter?

Now,you know I'm a reasonable man.
        Shall we say...Oh I don't know...20 pounds of twenties in a paper bag?
        12:00 midnight under Bob's Big Bun.
        No cops Slick Ricky!!!!

mister
        Last edited by drtyhands; 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
          this customer is the homeowners association. Then you have the actual owners. Then the owners move to another building or a private home.

Normally i start off with 1 owner and eventually move into the hoa and other owners.

The draw back is doing association work. My insurance rates are much higher. No problem with working for the unit owners, but it's when you work on the common area or bill the association that the insurance rates are higher.

Not only higher, but much harder to get. Lots of insurance co's don't insure plumbers that do hoa work. Too much liability potential.

Rick.
          i'm not allowed to work on condos. Ins. Cos. Hate them!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You're right Adam, This is HACK CITY! We could call consumer affairs! Doubt He's licensed,
            Think Joey would bail Him out?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              You're right Adam, This is HACK CITY! We could call consumer affairs! Doubt He's licensed,
              Think Joey would bail Him out?
              Not for at least 48 hours in a quiet house or two good nights sleep whichever comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                You've just ruined the integrity if that shear wall.
                Why didn't you cut from the other side.
                No more than a 6"X6" hole.
                And you cut the 1X6 let-in tie in half.
                I'm afraid I'll have to notify someone on this.I got a guy who specializes in these matters.
                I think he refers to himself as an expert witness for people wanting to protect themselves and their property.

The only way to remedy this situation is to block the entire perimimeter (4 sides) with 3X6 and stitch nail 1-1/2" on center with #10's.We're going to have to pull the entire wall and install a new let-in from the top to bottom plate.

I'll be needing you records of work on this complex.We'll pull all your previous invoices on our end.
                Lets get all the work you've done over the past fifteen years opened back up and inspected.
                Do you know a good drywaller and painter?

Now,you know I'm a reasonable man.
                Shall we say...Oh I don't know...20 pounds of twenties in a paper bag?
                12:00 midnight under Bob's Big Bun.
                No cops Slick Ricky!!!!

mister
                adam, take a good look at the photo. there is shear wall on both sides.

so do you remove a stacking washer dryer in a tight closet, or cut a nice 12'' x 16'' hole in a tight cabinet?

that 1x6 was already cut off due to the gas pipe running just under my bottom cut. all i did was trim back the tail end

not bad for a 200# 45 year old in a tight cabinet to fit. didn't even shut the water, did it on the fly

rick.

ps. adam i kept the real juicy ditch photos just for this situation
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  adam, take a good look at the photo. there is shear wall on both sides.

so do you remove a stacking washer dryer in a tight closet, or cut a nice 12'' x 16'' hole in a tight cabinet?

that 1x6 was already cut off due to the gas pipe running just under my bottom cut. all i did was trim back the tail end

not bad for a 200# 45 year old in a tight cabinet to fit. didn't even shut the water, did it on the fly

rick.

ps. adam i kept the real juicy ditch photos just for this situation

Rick
                  Someone else cut it??? Gimme a break.
                  An Inspector would never in a million years let that go without replacement.
                  Now your resorting to insulting me?

50 LBS of Fifties...At the PHC show today...I think it's time you met my friend Guido.

As far as blackmail.
                  I don't care what you think you got on me.I got no problem facing my sins.
                  You know that.

I think you and I should go to mychurch/yourtemple tommorrow before the zoo.You've got some esplainin' to do.

See you guys in a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    Rick, do you change out those 1 piece stops and supplies? Everytime I work around them, I see them, they get replaced, especially when I touch them. Those are huge insurance liabilities.

If the customer does not want to change them, it is noted on my invoice. I know unless there are individual shut offs for the units, it is hard in a high rise.

If I open a cabinet door and those stops are there, either they go or I go!. Those suckers will hairline crack if you look sideways at it! And the threaded stem nut which goes into the body....it only has about 1½ threads on it....they blow out real easy. And usually if you try to turn one off and back on, the dry stem o-ring squeeze out behind the knob!

YEP>>>I do not like those babies!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      p.s. washing machine hoses pose a much bigger liability.
                      Can't argue that!

Never forget the day a lady...regular customer...called......she came home from shopping and the washer hose, in laundry room next to garage..was squirting from just below the nut. She couldn't turn the stop. She had cell phone in one hand, and with the other was trying to hold a towel around old faithful!

Luckily, I worked a smallish geographical area, and was close by and available!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                        If I open a cabinet door and those stops are there, either they go or I go!. Those suckers will hairline crack if you look sideways at it! And the threaded stem nut which goes into the body....it only has about 1½ threads on it....they blow out real easy. And usually if you try to turn one off and back on, the dry stem o-ring squeeze out behind the knob!

YEP>>>I do not like those babies!

the only time i change them is if i have to replace the faucet, toilet, or ballcock. otherwise they stay.

there are some pre 1/4 turn stops that were made by brasscraft that will leak if you operate them. i knew back in the 80's they were going to be a problem, but brasscraft didn't believe me. what did i know

once again if they don't get touched they are fine. they are no different than the thousands and thousands of 1/2'' flexes we were required to use on tub and shower valves to compensate for building shrinkage.

there are many buildings that i still work at that we originally plumbed that were built in the 80's. if there were issues like you mention, i would know about them.

i see others attemept to use a regular cone washer on old lines instead of the required threaded washers.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

so last week unit #3 had the split wye.

today unit #2 lav sink had the split. fortunately the access was from the closet and there was no shear wall

same basic issue. the 2'' wye was split at the junction of the wye. this is on a first floor.

my gut feeling is there are no expansion joints on the 3 story waste and vent risers.

the line was also slow draining, thus causing the waste water to sit in the line and percolate out of the split.

who else has come across similar problems with abs or pvc. not the non virgin abs resin issues at the glue joint. but wye's or tees splitting at the intersection of the branches.

rick.

close up of split.

repaired with new and reconnected with no hub bands.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-20-2009, 12:47 AM.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

This isn't an abs wye, but this is what happens when it sits on its side, in dirt, for 35 years. Bathrooms and barsink in restraunt backed up, my snake made it this far, but couldn't clear. Doesn't the snow make a good backdrop?
                            Attached Files
                            The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                            X