Abs split wye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abs split wye

this is from a 25 year old building. 2'' wye on first floor inside lav sink cabinet that split at the wye junction. bottom joint is connected to no hub coming through 12'' slab from garage below. upper vent and waste lines for the 2nd and 3rd floor are abs.

i know from my 15 year track record there that this is the at least the 6th time i've repaired similar fittings. typically been the kitchens on the 1st and second floor.

i know when we did 3 story abs jobs, we needed an expansion joint on the second floor for waste and vents. anything more than 20' needed the expansion joints. i don't think they have them here?

pretty tight working area and 3/8'' shear-wall. other side was a stacking washer and dryer, no thanks.

the drywall cut out tool (dewalt) made an easy way to cut the drywall and the 3/8'' ply .pretty dusty but a mask was all i needed. too many copper and gas lines to use a sawzall.

reconnected with n.h. bands.

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-12-2009, 10:27 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Abs split wye

I have this happen about once a year in a condo association I take care of, usually it is in the worst place, horrible area, no access.

Last time it was at the glue joint and the santee, I assume it might have something to do with the quality of the ABS fittings and pipe from the 80's.

I have dug up sewers on this property, the 1/8th bends split like your wye did.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Here is a good link to identify the defective ABS.

http://www.abspipes.com/id.html

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

any better luck with PVC? I have only used ABS a handful of times, I prefer PVC seems like it has more strength to it.

Comment

Rick, do you change out those 1 piece stops and supplies? Everytime I work around them, I see them, they get replaced, especially when I touch them. Those are huge insurance liabilities.

If the customer does not want to change them, it is noted on my invoice. I know unless there are individual shut offs for the units, it is hard in a high rise.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

if i don't touch them, then they stay.

remember that this is a 27 unit building with 2 bathrooms each. literally hundreds of them. the only time they break is when you mess with them or they get bumped like around a toilet with a mop.

toilets get changed when i do a ballcock and sinks when i do a faucet.

the tendency is if they get re-bent, they can break.

the non chrome plated ones are much better than the chrome plated ones.

in the 15 years of new construction, i've installed more than 25,000 of them in the residential units. commercial had 2 pc. stops.

not my choice, as i tried to convince the owner to make them all 2 pc.

rick.

p.s. washing machine hoses pose a much bigger liability.
            phoebe it is

Comment

is it possible that the fitting was cracked during installation?

i've replaced ABS fitting that look like it was cracked when the installer rolled the pipe and fittings into place when glueing. the pipe he cut was too long and cracked two 45's (1/8th bends).

nice pics Rick.

i guess you finally got your van in order so here come the pics. finally.ooooooowhoooooo!

Vince

the only thing missing from your pics is you. how do we know you were even there?

Comment

Why not PVC?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  Why not PVC?
                  Until recently no one stocked PVC in the Southern California area. ABS is still the norm out here.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the post and pictures.

1 piece angle stops.......remember them........brings back nightmares. Always hated to touch them after initial install.

Those were some tight working conditions, cudos to not cutting anything but DW and shear.

Comment

The weight of the 2" line on the wye branch probably caused the split. An expansion joint or a simple riser clamp secured to the line at the plate level of the immediate floor above would have prevented the crack. Recently fixed a broken horizontal 4x2 wye where the branch ran to an 1/8 bend which ran horizontally to a washing machine. The washer line wasn't properly hung. The eventual sag on the line accumulated water and split the wye.
                      Don't see too many cracked fittings, but I have seen a number of cases where the pipe sheered right below a fitting. This was due to the run of bad pipe from the '80's made with non virgin ABS resin (as in ground up old telephones and such). I remember when the claims started coming in with the unhappy coincidence that the manufacturers responsible were all out of business. Doesn't that figure!

Comment

Maybe I missed it in the pics or Ricks post but is the original install done in CI? It looks like it could have been what with the no-hub bands in the pics and where they are placed. Can't tell for sure from the photos if there is CI there or not.

I wonder if someone skimped on the hangers or if they have loosened up over time and the full weight of the riser is (or was) on the CI upright wye. When that split it looks like they repaired it with a wye and a 1/8 bend and some no-hub bands, and that has succumbed to the weight of the riser which would have been temporarily relieved when the repair was made.
                        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

bob, here is the low down.

2''no hub comes up from the garage deck. transitioned to 2'' abs wye and 45. picked up a 2x1.5'' san tee for the first floor lav. 2'' vent and 2'' riser for the 2nd and 3rd floor.

replaced with new abs and no hubbed it to the existing as there is no play in the line.

personally i believe that the building did not have the required expansion joints on the 2nd floor.

this is the 6th. repair of this nature in the last 15 years i've worked there. all the same problem at different locations. primarily the kitchens.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Two things come to mind from this post. First thing, this is great news. I allways thought I made a mistake getting into service plumbing now when the modern materials would not require repairing or replacing. I spend most of my time either replacing galv. water and drains or repairing problems associated with old galv. Entropy wins again, it looks like there may be work for me in the future. Second thing, how great is it to have the same customer for fifteen years.

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                              Two things come to mind from this post. First thing, this is great news. I allways thought I made a mistake getting into service plumbing now when the modern materials would not require repairing or replacing. I spend most of my time either replacing galv. water and drains or repairing problems associated with old galv. Entropy wins again, it looks like there may be work for me in the future. Second thing, how great is it to have the same customer for fifteen years.
                              this customer is the homeowners association. then you have the actual owners. then the owners move to another building or a private home.

normally i start off with 1 owner and eventually move into the hoa and other owners.

the draw back is doing association work. my insurance rates are much higher. no problem with working for the unit owners, but it's when you work on the common area or bill the association that the insurance rates are higher.

not only higher, but much harder to get. lots of insurance co's don't insure plumbers that do hoa work. too much liability potential.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X