Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think the east has it right pvc

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
    the primmer help heal cuts on your hands after the burn
    And I thought it was just klutzy me! Other folks also seem to always have cuts on fingers???!!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
      I started using pvc when it became more available here in 2001. I like it better for the reason the pipe is straighter and stays staight even on the pipe racks at the shop. Our local Ferguson's carries abs and pvc. If I have to I will use an abs fitting with pvc with transition glue. If its not visible.

Something the IPC will not allow us to do as the glue is just that and does not complete a solvent weld.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm a bigger fan of ABS. Not a fan of having to prime pipe if I don't need to.

PVC is also very unenvironmentally friendly as far as what it takes to produce it.

I'd rather use solid core ABS than PVC if I had to for instances where you're running underground under a driveway for example.

The (high end) houses I tend to pipe often have ABS underground, Cast Iron for above ground drainge so you can't hear the drainage in the wall when someone flushes the toilet, and ABS for the venting.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
          The (high end) houses I tend to pipe often have ABS underground, Cast Iron for above ground drainge so you can't hear the drainage in the wall when someone flushes the toilet, and ABS for the venting.
          Same here. We use a lot of mission couplings (CP33 and CP200).

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
            All pvc here ,,i have seen some abs around trailers ,,
            the primmer help heal cuts on your hands after the burn

Not recommended. There are warnings on the can to avoid skin contact. That would be on healthy skin. I'm sure it would be even more deleterious on an open wound.
            I recommend rusty sheet metal screws and band iron to close the wound first.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

In Minnesota it's PVC only, ABS is not allowed. Years ago I was licensed in California and only used ABS so I have seen the good and the bad of both.
              I remember laying out ABS in the sun only to come back and have the pipe bent into a perfect "C" shape, never seen PVC do that.
              I was told when a house burns ABS is extremely toxic compared to PVC, don't know if it's true but who knows.
              I don't mind the primer, it's part of the job. I've learned to like PVC, I think it looks better too. Maybe because now it's almost all basements and it has to look good. Back in good old Kalifornia it was mostly crawl jobs, saw some very ugly saging installs.

Comment

Hung ABS pipe will say put with these:
                http://www.lspproducts.com/SpecSheet...PipeHanger.pdf
                And so will below grade pipe with these:
                http://www.siouxchief.com/Support/DW...Tomahawk.L199U

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  In Minnesota it's PVC only, ABS is not allowed. Years ago I was licensed in California and only used ABS so I have seen the good and the bad of both.
                  I remember laying out ABS in the sun only to come back and have the pipe bent into a perfect "C" shape, never seen PVC do that.
                  I was told when a house burns ABS is extremely toxic compared to PVC, don't know if it's true but who knows.
                  I don't mind the primer, it's part of the job. I've learned to like PVC, I think it looks better too. Maybe because now it's almost all basements and it has to look good. Back in good old Kalifornia it was mostly crawl jobs, saw some very ugly saging installs.
                  I built in Mass. 1970s heard the same about ABS and toxic smoke .

I never saw ABS there then . I'm sure It's KING now.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                    Hung ABS pipe will say put with these:
                    http://www.lspproducts.com/SpecSheet...PipeHanger.pdf
                    And so will below grade pipe with these:
                    http://www.siouxchief.com/Support/DW...Tomahawk.L199U
                    Use the same hangers,we need them ,shakers ! Never saw the underground stakes.
                    Will use in future. THANKS.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Use the same hangers,we need them ,shakers ! Never saw the underground stakes.
                      Will use in future. THANKS.
                      No one (in the Bay Area) stocks the the ground stakes. I have to order them from Sioux Chief. When I do, I usually order 4-5 boxes at a time. You can order them without the steel rebar rod. Cut your own #3 bar to any length you choose.

Comment

Working...
                      X