Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the east has it right pvc

WHY not more pvc on the west coast . ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: I think the east has it right pvc

I agree. ABS warps easier, seems less strong. The only ABS I see is the stuff in mobile homes that I cut out with my sawzall and reinstall with PVC.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

There is a lot of it down here Tool.I've done hundreds of systems,thousands of joints.
      Even grounded grease,sanitary and combination waste and vent ground work on a huge grocery store in Bakersfield.

Great product when you get used to it.

Comment

I need to cut the cord ,and go to PVC outside of S.F. Problem is 30 gal trash cans full of fittings!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Consider the majority of the West Coast has installed millions (if not billions) of feet of ABS and with the exception of limited pipe made with a non-virgin filler it has been very reliable. The same thing would have happened with PVC had some crook figured out how to do it.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-13-2009, 12:44 AM.
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

PVC and ABS are both of similar quality, but if I have the choice, why choose the pipe that you have to prime before gluing.

Primer stings like a M' F on cuts.

Plus PVC fittings repel each other strongly.

I've never had problems with abs, and it requires one less step to install. Sounds good to me.

Both types are common here.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

We have a choice around here and 90% of plumbers choose PVC. You can argue the pro's and con's till you are blue in the face, but the main reason guys use what they use is because it is what the supply houses carry or carried when they first started plumbing.
              sigpic

Comment

All pvc here ,,i have seen some abs around trailers ,,
                the primmer help heal cuts on your hands after the burn

Comment

I prefer the ridgidity of PVC, it feels more substantial than abs, stronger, straighter. We have the choice here, but the majority of guys use PVC, both are readily available. One house carries PVC the other carrys ABS.

Comment

The bottom line, PVC is less expensive to purchase from the supply houses.
                    It has a few flaws of its own though, if temps are very low and you drop pipe or fittings from a ladder you run the risk of them shattering, also in the low temps the glue has a tendency to run out of the hub before it sets up, bad for leaks.

On the plus side I have used a torch to heat up a flush cut piece of pipe and peel it out of a pvc hub, you wont do that with ABS.
                    sigpic
                    www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

i use pvc/ sdr35 for my outside area drains. styrene is junk and will fill with roots in a handfull of years.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by U&I Plumber View Post
                        The bottom line, PVC is less expensive to purchase from the supply houses.
                        U&I Plumber
                        You and I must not shop at the same supply houses.

Comment

I concur, you shop in SoCal and I in Oregon.

It has always been pennies per ftg/ft of pipe cheaper in this area, but when you purchase for an apartment complex it adds up quickly.

I did an apartment complex in Seaside in '97 and we ran it all in pvc/dwv for the cost savings, major drawback was we arrived on the job Monday morning with 3 Plumbers chompin at the bit and 4 12 unit buildings ready to underfloor, but the supply house only dropped 1 case of 4x3 wyes, "mom n pop" hardware stores in that region don't stock pvc/dwv.
                          Last edited by U&I Plumber; 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM.
                          sigpic
                          www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

ABS seems to me hold up better in the sun light or exposed to the sun, IMO
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I started using pvc when it became more available here in 2001. I like it better for the reason the pipe is straighter and stays staight even on the pipe racks at the shop. Our local Ferguson's carries abs and pvc. If I have to I will use an abs fitting with pvc with transition glue. If its not visible.

Comment

Working...
                              X