Off to the Skills Competition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to the Skills Competition.

Well, this Friday two of my best students are off to the State Plumbing Skills Competition. This will be a first for all of us. They sent us the rules and what they are expected to do. Pretty simple really. Pipe PVC and PEX to a toilet and lav. Something that would take most of us about 20 minutes to do but they give the kids 6 hrs. Scary thing is that there are only two teams competing so we have a good chance to win this thing. Worst case finish is second place
    sigpic

Re: Off to the Skills Competition.

Good luck to you and your boys!
    When I did this it was called VICA , we had to rough in a wc, lav, tub and washer set up and there was no pex back then.

Comment

Our skills comp was quite a bit more difficult. There was a copper piping and soldering portion, a PVC rollng offset and piping portion, an oxy-acetylene weld steel fitting offset, and a threaded gas line portion. Unfortunately, I wasn't eligible for it last time it came around.
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

well, it's over. Very long day indeed but we managed second and third which give both those kids a bit of a scolarship. The other instructors and I were absolutly amazed at the quality of the work performed by all of the entrants. You really could have put all the names in a hat and pulled one out, they were that close. In the end it all came down to who did the most thorough job of making out the material list. I will post the pictures when I get them downloaded.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeh, we had the old Diversified Cooperative Training courses in High School here and I was in the Machine Tool competition. I won. I had a great Machine Shop teacher who recognized my skills early and taught me a lot extra. When I got a scholarship to a local Vo-Tech the teacher there had me teaching the new students (so he could take long smoke breaks). But I enjoyed teaching these students, some were my age then (20-21) and some were veterans on the G.I. Bill. Later, when my kids were in High School and in the band I helped the music director with the percussion section a lot. Maybe I missed my calling, maybe not with today's kids. Thanks NHMaster for helping these students get a start on what could be a lucrative career. Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            well, it's over. Very long day indeed but we managed second and third which give both those kids a bit of a scolarship. The other instructors and I were absolutly amazed at the quality of the work performed by all of the entrants. You really could have put all the names in a hat and pulled one out, they were that close. In the end it all came down to who did the most thorough job of making out the material list. I will post the pictures when I get them downloaded.
            Good job.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Very nice, where is the national competition this year?

Comment

I keep Threatening to enter the apprentice Soldering competition ... LOL

Dave

Comment

Nationals are in Kansas City.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X