X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver soldering under the slab

Today I soldering service relocate. Was wondering if there is an overheat threat.

cherry red ,I do understand it needs to be red for the silver to run. Any dos and donts?

Thank's I'm a welder ,It's usually Heavy iron
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Silver soldering under the slab

tool, 1 of the issues is providing enough air/ oxygen to supply your torch.

an oxy/acy is not an issue since it supplies its own air, but an acy. torch requires air and a hole in the ground is usually starved for air with a hot torch running overhead.

dry the pipe out thoroughly as water dripping will cause steam and popping of the joint.

the pipe is suppose to melt the rod, not the torch. so hot/ cherry red is the proper temperature.

not well done, just medium like my steaks

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Never heard the oxy part, Maybe a SMALL shop vac ,blowing a small amount of air next time
      in a confined rat hole. Have a few telescoping mirrors,I use for tight acess soldering.
      I laid one in the dirt to see good flow on bottom. It all worked out fine. Tanks.

Steaks are up to medium size !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool
        Good thing the work wasn't inspected. If Dan had seen it, he'd have asked for your brazing certificate.

Comment

It also depends what tip you plan on using with your b-tank. You want ENOUGH heat......but don't overdo it either. A #7 or #9 tip is usually good for 3/4" and 1". Don't whip out the #21 unless you plan on barbecuing a pig!

Comment

Re Silver soldering under the slab OR DAN UNDER THE SLAB!

Plumbus, Good point. For years I was a cert. welder Pile drivers local#34 Oakland. Welding 3 ft. pipe, 3 ft' wide flange I beams . All UT inspected. Wire feed and stick papers. I know this doesn't have much to do with 3/4" copper L pipe . I trade at cal steam. I've had some great stories about Dan You Know Who . See Ya Tool

Comment

The hotter the better! Cherry red is great, the solder runs to the heat. Let it cool a bit and cap over the joint again for good measure.

Comment

I braze and Gas weld with Oxy Acetylene in My shop on mild steel.

Only did it once before with copper using a b tank. I appreciate the help.

Comment

For hard copper there's no negative heating to cherry red but for soft copper lines, you'll harden the pipe. Not a big deal but it happens. I stick to harris silfoss 15% silver rod.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                  X