X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An OLD toilet question for you Northeasterners

So I have to pull and reset a standard close-couple toilet today in a house built in the late 1920's. After pulling the toilet I see a 1-1/2" (probably) galvanized pipe cut flush in the back wall. At first I thought it was an old lav drain.

Then the lady tells me when she first moved in, sometime in the 1950's, there was a wall hung lavatory on legs with some sort of mechanism on it that flushed the toilet. The toilet had already been removed but the lavatory was there when she moved in. (There is a vanity there now.)

She also said the previous owner had told her that they were common in New York.

OK, what's up with that? I want some pics and I want them NOW!
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: An OLD toilet question for you Northeasterners

I bet a river birch tree is growing in it
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
      I bet a river birch tree is growing in it
      Hardy, har, har, har, har.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

That's a quaint little bathroom you have for your avatar. The only thing missing is a BIDET SEAT. HA HA HA HA HA!

Comment

reservoir near the celling and a pull chain maybe? i remember my uncle moving into his house had something similar years ago, the previous owner was like a 90 yr old man that probably lived there since the 30's, but it was in a very old neighborhood in a large city. it was situated in a room literally the size of a closet no sink no door just an ancient crapper.
          hot on the left, cold on the right... so hot ladies to the left and cold drinks to the right? lets hope gravity keeps em down all night!

Comment

something like this http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1
            hot on the left, cold on the right... so hot ladies to the left and cold drinks to the right? lets hope gravity keeps em down all night!

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              That's a quaint little bathroom you have for your avatar. The only thing missing is a BIDET SEAT. HA HA HA HA HA!
              I made it out of thin cheap wood. . . .years before the "b" word entered our lives
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

One question,How'd You get sucked into this one?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  One question,How'd You get sucked into this one?
                  Probably a poor choice of words for what we are talking about....

This is just for curiosity sake. The toilet, lavatory and whatever mechanism controlled them is long gone. Only the pipe in the wall remains. I'm pretty sure it was not a pull chain type tank mounted on the wall.

Another interesting note, apparently the old bowl sat close to wall. The new (relatively) close couple toilet was mounted on an offset collar.

Comment

Usually that galvanized pipe was a vent that ran from the bowel up through the roof. Most came off the left side of the toilet.
                    sigpic

Comment

NH,Is this what *you* speak of?

Comment

dag gum!!

A toilet with a stick shift, is that a 3 speed or 4 speed with overdrive??

G3

Comment

Originally posted by jay mpls View Post
                          nh,is this what *you* speak of?
                          where's the gas pedal? Another poor choice of words
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Whats the plunger for? If she gets stuck just put 'er in 4X4 low.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              Whats the plunger for? If she gets stuck just put 'er in 4X4 low.
                              Gene You dummy! That's what reverse is for, DUH!

Comment

Working...
                              X