Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
In your opinion, what is the best invention in your line of work? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In your opinion, what is the best invention in your line of work?

as a plumber/gasfitter, safety as always been my number one priority. i take safety very seriously.

i feel that the Temperature & Pressure/Pressure Relief Valves is the most important.

i would like to say the codes, but i don't know if that's an invention.

Vince

Re: In your opinion, what is the best invention in your line of work?

I far as what has made my job easier-I'd have to say either cordless technology or a construction calculator but this is really a broad question with so many right answers.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

In the last 4 decades.
      In the field:
      #1:Cordless technology
      #2:Cell phones
      #3:Plastics (for good and evil)
      In the office:
      Computers, in general
      Internet,
      Fax (already becoming obsolete)

Comment

besides disposables it would have to be the smaller sewer cameras

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

For me its a no-brainer. Sewer camera with location technology is the best invention in my trade! These little babies make diagnosing and estimating drain problems a billion times easier. I am so spoiled now I can't even imagine what it was like not to have a good camera and locator. I would feel lost like an amateur without one.
          Thanks to Ridgid for perfecting this technology with their Seesnakes and Navitracks.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Let's keep it lo-tech.... the basin wrench.

Comment

Graduated level. Sometimes I need minimums, my eyes fool me, and I don't have something accurate to measure off of.

J.C.

Comment

When I was doing new construction the lazer level was my bestest friend

Every day it's different. Wifi was the hero today. The ability to download a service manual while I'm standing next to the equipment was a lifesaver.

Comment

A rocking chair!!

Comment

The credit card reader in the front office. It allows me to get paid faster.
                    sigpic

Comment

the best thing invented in the plumbing trade? the air gap.
                      Brent

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Blanc.

In the late 1920s, Samuel Oscar Blanc (1883–1964) was motivated by a stubborn clogged drain in his son's (Milton L. Blanc) Des Moines, Iowa apartment to seek a better solution.

By 1933, Milton & Samuel Blanc had fashioned a sewer-cleaning machine from a washing machine motor, roller skate wheels and a 3/8" steel cable. The cable rotated sharp blades to cut tree roots out of sewer lines, eliminating the tedious and expensive need to dig. Blanc's wife, Lettie (née Lettie Jensen), called his invention, a heavy-duty plumber's snake, the "Roto-Rooter."

By the mid-1930s, Blanc was selling "Roto-Rooter" machines for $250. Many who were eager for work in the midst of the Great Depression started their own Roto-Rooter businesses throughout the upper Midwest, the Great Plains and the Northeast.

Roto-Rooter guaranteed results without having to dig up the lawn to reach underground sewer pipes.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 03-18-2009, 11:05 PM.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                          Thank you, Mr. Blanc.

In the late 1920s, Samuel Oscar Blanc (1883–1964) was motivated by a stubborn clogged drain in his son's (Milton L. Blanc) Des Moines, Iowa apartment to seek a better solution.
                          By 1933, Milton & Samuel Blanc had fashioned a sewer-cleaning machine from a washing machine motor, roller skate wheels and a 3/8" steel cable. The cable rotated sharp blades to cut tree roots out of sewer lines, eliminating the tedious and expensive need to dig. Blanc's wife, Lettie (née Lettie Jensen), called his invention, a heavy-duty plumber's snake, the "Roto-Rooter."
                          By the mid-1930s, Blanc was selling "Roto-Rooter" machines for $250. Many who were eager for work in the midst of the Great Depression started their own Roto-Rooter businesses throughout the upper Midwest, the Great Plains and the Northeast.
                          Roto-Rooter guaranteed results without having to dig up the lawn to reach underground sewer pipes.
                          In 1980, the Blanc family sold Roto-Rooter Corporation to Cincinnati-based Chemed Corporation. Chemed began purchasing some independent Roto-Rooter franchises and operating them as company-owned locations under the newly formed Roto-Rooter Services Company.

I wonder if he would be proud of where his company is now?

J.C.

Comment

Back hoe,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Wet/dry vac for those "messy" situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X