X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Service call pet peeves

I don't usually mind the dogs and I have far more problems with the little ones than the big ones. There was a young pit bull a few weeks ago who was looking at my calf muscles as if they might be tasty, but I kept my eye on him.

What does bother me is people who wait until you're almost finished then have to leave "for a few minutes." Invariably, you know you're going to be sitting around waiting for them.

Worse are the ones who say, "I gotta take off. Just leave the bill on the table and I'll send you a check."

Comment

Exactly, rarely do dogs bite the hand that feeds.

I've thought about carrying scooby snacks to bribe the dogs.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
        What does bother me is people who wait until you're almost finished then have to leave "for a few minutes." Invariably, you know you're going to be sitting around waiting for them.

Worse are the ones who say, "I gotta take off. Just leave the bill on the table and I'll send you a check."
        This drives me nuts too! If a customer is going to leave right before I finish, then they better be paying me before they leave! I don't get paid to stand around waiting for them to get back from their errands.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Oh, I have a few.

Leaving stuff under the sink, knowing I have to work there.

Guys who only wear underwear when I am at their house working.

Big women love me. Every time I work at a plus sized woman's house they try to seduce me. I have no idea what they see in me, but I feel like a piece of meat. It never bothered me until this one woman trapped me in the bathroom and stood in front of the door with a devilish grin. All I remember was her six teeth smiling at me, and a unicorn tattoo on her ankle.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            This drives me nuts too! If a customer is going to leave right before I finish, then they better be paying me before they leave! I don't get paid to stand around waiting for them to get back from their errands.
            just tell them it's okay.

you'll keep charging them until they get back.

Vince

Comment

People who act like integrity is a one way street.

For every story of a crooked contractor I can give you a story of a home owner that tried/succeeded in screwing a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                Oh, I have a few.

Leaving stuff under the sink, knowing I have to work there.

Guys who only wear underwear when I am at their house working.

Big women love me. Every time I work at a plus sized woman's house they try to seduce me. I have no idea what they see in me, but I feel like a piece of meat. It never bothered me until this one woman trapped me in the bathroom and stood in front of the door with a devilish grin. All I remember was her six teeth smiling at me, and a unicorn tattoo on her ankle.
                Yea I'm attracted to ankles too, Tyman. HOT stuff huh? Glad to see I'm not alone

How about the homeowner that decides right now is the best time to scrub the spot under the toilet while you are doing the duckwalk

Comment

i always have people call close to quiting time when they had a problem since the morning
                  "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbers
                    Being nice to their freakin' dogs. I hate dogs. I don't like dogs. The best dog is a cat.
                    I carry treats for doggies.Buy compliance from the little guys!Might as well be nice to all the family members.
                    And for people that have me waiting for them to get back...$26 each 15 minutes.I *am* very patient.No return customer has let this happen twice!
                    Last edited by Jay Mpls; 03-21-2009, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Probably the most common peeve is when a customer tells me over the phone that they are positive they have an outside mainline c/o. I always have to confirm by repeatedly asking how big the outside pipe is. "Oh it's big". Ok, then I quote them a price for both a ground access and a roof (if that's an option). I show up, they haul me around to the kitchen window and point downward at the 2" kitchen sink plug.
                      I then explain that this isn't a mainline c/o, that I'll need to go in through the roof vent. At this point, they're now mad at ME because they have to pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                        Probably the most common peeve is when a customer tells me over the phone that they are positive they have an outside mainline c/o. I always have to confirm by repeatedly asking how big the outside pipe is. "Oh it's big". Ok, then I quote them a price for both a ground access and a roof (if that's an option). I show up, they haul me around to the kitchen window and point downward at the 2" kitchen sink plug.
                        I then explain that this isn't a mainline c/o, that I'll need to go in through the roof vent. At this point, they're now mad at ME because they have to pay more.
                        Thats an easy fix, tell them both prices over the phone.

I've been experimenting with an estimate fee for the last two weeks and it has worked twice. $40 to come give an estimate. If you accept the price, I waive the fee.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                          Not shoveling the driveway/front walk when they know you are coming to do a water heater.
                          So what do I do?
                          Charge them hourly or give them a flat Rate of $10.00 Square foot.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                            Thats an easy fix, tell them both prices over the phone.

I've been experimenting with an estimate fee for the last two weeks and it has worked twice. $40 to come give an estimate. If you accept the price, I waive the fee.
                            I usually do that. It's just that they automatically expect it to be the lower price. I don't do estimates. I do the job and they pay me for it. My service call charge IS my minimum drain charge. Either way, I'm cleanin' a drain if I show up. I'm charging for the visit so they might as well have me clean SOMETHING while I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbers
                              Being nice to their freakin' dogs. I hate dogs. I don't like dogs. The best dog is a cat.
                              How can anyone not like dogs?
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm sorry but the little princess needs Her, [ His Nap ] can Your Men Return about 1 PM?

Happened this past week ! Also Sat 21 st., Had 2 men show up to do stucco repairs 8 AM.

I arrive at 10:00 , Garage with stucco Is locked , Guys hanging out! " SOO sorry, Had stuff to do " So sorry , I have to charge You for 4 Man Hrs. " I understand ".
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X