Digging a water line, FUN,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging a water line, FUN,

I have been digging some trenches the last day or so, to run a new water line down to the barn and a new one to the house before the old ones fail there (I am guessing pushing a 100 years old or sections of them, the one to the barn was 1 1/4 galvanized pipe, what I have seen of it still remarkable good condition for its age and I am sure it is the original), the one to the house I is possible it is newer, but as a small boy I know the water pipe that entered in to the old cellar and since the cellar was very poor, (roof rotting out) it would freeze on occasion and my parents would put a heat lamp on it, it was a galvanized pipe, cellar has been filled in, any way I figured even if it was replaced when they put the bathroom in the house it would still be 50+ years nearly 60 years old, and if they used the old line that fed the old porch sink it could be a 100 as well,

Any way I was digging with the back hoe I made last year, and was moving away from the pressure tank pit, and hit the old water storage tank for the stock water, before pressure tanks, and electricity, (about a 20' square tank about 6 foot deep, as I break through the one wall I thought I was getting a lot of concrete for no thicker than the wall was, and surprise, they had filled that old tank with hunks of concrete, field rock, iron and tin and junk, what a mess to dig though, and the trench was about as wide as it is deep as the chunks of concrete keep caving off the sides,

What amazes me they dumped that junk where it was obvious that if one ever ran a new water line that is where it would go,

What ever got into peoples thinking that they should fill the back fill or a old foundation with rocks and junk, that I will never understand,

Just makes life more fun I guess.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Digging a water line, FUN,

Did You post the machine build on tractor By Net? Are You a member?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I am a member over there and read and post some but I do not think I ever posted a picture of it there.

There is an attached picture below this was before I added a safety rail and a seat, and was just getting the hydraulics leaks fixed,
      Attached Files
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i was running my ditch witch and uncovered a re-modelers junk pile. everything form broken tile to wall insulation. the ditch witch just pulled it up from the ground.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i was running my ditch witch and uncovered a re-modelers junk pile. everything form broken tile to wall insulation. the ditch witch just pulled it up from the ground.

rick.
          What don't you have Rick.
          Does the K 60 take pride and place on top of the ditch witch in the back of the Veto.
          From memory you have the market cornered on K-60's, If my memory serves me correct 5.
          So are you on the ditch witch site as well, maybe with the name of Digger Rick or a couple of my favourites, Ditch Rick or Witch Rick.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I am a member over there and read and post some but I do not think I ever posted a picture of it there.

There is an attached picture below this was before I added a safety rail and a seat, and was just getting the hydraulics leaks fixed,
            Beautiful Fab Job ,with every thing else! Not many folks could do that. It is so nice to be able to weld your self into a great solution. Lincoln weld and rower on a trailer with bottles. Miller AC DC Buzz box, LN 22, My favorite Miller 210 with 3 gas bottles. Argon, tri gas,c-25 , and tons of iron to boot I don't post there much, but the folks at weld talk and t by net would enjoy seeing Your beautiful work.
            Last edited by toolaholic; 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick I know the trencher I have would not have pulled it up, most of the concrete was 6" thick and about 2 foot square,

the trencher I have is a old auburn it was designed to fit on to a tractor and then drive hydraulic or by a auxiliary transmission, (some were attached to jeeps and some to tractors) and with the tractor I have it does not traction correctly (tractor it to heavy), I have used it out in the open and have trenched miles of water line for stock tanks and from the south windmill to the house, (one of my some day projects, I am going to build a drive unit for it),
              here is a site that shows the unit they made for the CJ3 jeeps http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3B/Lite...epATrench.html

mine was actually designed for a ford tractor and it had a additional transmission to split the tractor and add the creep transmission, I never found a tractor to work with it, so I made a different drive and the drive wheels in soft ground will not push the heavy tractor,

I was working over some electric lines as well so I wanted to use the back hoe to work around the lines,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

here are a few picture of the rock and concrete that was in the old cistern, just took me a few days to up load them.
                picture one
                just some of the rock and before it caved in on the shown side,
                two
                this was before it caved back off and had to dig more of it out,
                three
                this is just one of about 10 buckets of rock and cement that I hauled out and there is still a few more to do.

one of the things I found interesting is the old cistern was only cement plastered, (not poured) and in most locations only about 2" thick, there had been three coats put on it over the years, but it did last about 50 years.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BHD; 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

here is a site that shows the unit they made for the CJ3 jeeps http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3B/Lite...epATrench.html
                  Is there anything that was not fitted to a Jeep??

You should see some of the contraptions they came up with in WWII. They have a nice static display at Aberdeen Proving Grounds of about 30 or so different Jeep variations, along with many tanks from around the world at the Ordnance Museum.

Name:  d329db1a31857296db21fbf05e3efc0f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  69.8 KB
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                  X