• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumber's Grease, and Vaseline

http://www.gacintl.com/msds/FluxVaseline.pdf

http://www.herchem.com/msds/MSDS39plumbers-grease.pdf

Tell me why I shouldn't use vaseline.

BTW, the vaseline is for anything non-rubber, like threads on anything not in contact with potable water.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-19-2009, 12:19 AM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Plumber's Grease, and Vaseline

Just make sure you don't mix them up !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you have ever used one on a condom......that is experiment number 1.
      (If you have not....Nine months to get things square if you do!)

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Just make sure you don't mix them up !

Too late! Just got back from the hospital, got myself on a 24 hour ban from lookin' at the ladies!

Comment

Re: Plumber's Grease, and Vaseline on a Sat. nite !#$%

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          Too late! Just got back from the hospital, got myself on a 24 hour ban from lookin' at the ladies!
          Suggest You clean those bib overhalls before the big ho down! OH AND

STEP AWAY FROM THE SHORT CAKE
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Vaseline is petroleum based and breaks down rubber products.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              vaseline is petroleum based and breaks down rubber products.
              we warned him , ouch

Comment

http://www.gacintl.com/msds/FluxVaseline.pdf

http://www.herchem.com/msds/MSDS39plumbers-grease.pdf

Tell me why I shouldn't use vaseline.

BTW, the vaseline is for anything non-rubber, like threads on anything not in contact with potable water.
                Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Vaseline is petroleum based and breaks down rubber products.

Yep, got that, and I have the food grade silicone grease that
                is FDA approved for potable applications.

I need to come up with a cheaper alternative for the grease for threads like on anything that's going to be like a set screw for a handle, the bonnet nut on a Delta R10000, screws that hold a sewer cleanout cover or shower drain.

That medium yellow grease is getting expensive for me by the tube since I'm always using this stuff, and I can manage this idea completely cheaper with the vaseline idea. Twice I've used that vaseline, a small amount on the threads of an aerator. Just enough to make sure it can break loose down the road.

I wish I could find a cheaper alternative for the food grade silicone based grease because I'm literally getting ripped off for those little containers and how much they are.

Doesn't anyone use this stuff as much as me? Everything I touch...if it has a thread pattern to it or is something I've busted knuckles over, cut hands to break loose because there wasn't any on it, I'm making sure by old school design that it will have grease on it, no matter if I'm coming back or not.

Someone will thank me on that time and day when it has to be worked on, that's a fact.

Comment

Yep, got that, and I have the food grade silicone grease that
                  is FDA approved for potable applications.

I need to come up with a cheaper alternative for the grease for threads like on anything that's going to be like a set screw for a handle, the bonnet nut on a Delta R10000, screws that hold a sewer cleanout cover or shower drain.

That medium yellow grease is getting expensive for me by the tube since I'm always using this stuff, and I can manage this idea completely cheaper with the vaseline idea. Twice I've used that vaseline, a small amount on the threads of an aerator. Just enough to make sure it can break loose down the road.

I wish I could find a cheaper alternative for the food grade silicone based grease because I'm literally getting ripped off for those little containers and how much they are.

Doesn't anyone use this stuff as much as me? Everything I touch...if it has a thread pattern to it or is something I've busted knuckles over, cut hands to break loose because there wasn't any on it, I'm making sure by old school design that it will have grease on it, no matter if I'm coming back or not.

Someone will thank me on that time and day when it has to be worked on, that's a fact.
                  I just did a google search on "food grade silicone based grease" and came up with 178,000 hits.

http://www.clearcoproducts.com/food_grade.html I haven't dealt with these people before, but they do have 5 gallon pails and 55 gal drums. Should last a week or two.

Mick

Comment

I use gobs of it, but it comes with the backflow preventer rebuild kits.

Mick

Comment

Why not use teflon paste for your application? Oatey's great white is compatible with pvc and cpvc and doesn't harden up. Or use wax ring. Rick uses them on CO plugs and I use them on my broadhead thread(archery) because the wax prevents the steel broadhead from locking into the the alumminum ferrule insert.
                      Last edited by gear junkie; 03-19-2009, 02:04 AM.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

a $1. bowl wax ring goes a long way on c/o threads and screws. and since it's in a plastic wrapper it doesn't require a brush.
                        use it for just about everything except faucet stem and o-rings.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

It puts too much resistance on the components you put together, the grease is thinner.

Plus, that white stuff is messier than hell. I do however use it on coarse threads in plumbing, dielectrics, gas lines.

I'll check that out fireguy, thanks.

Comment

ben, you and me on the same wave length at the same time

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              a $1. bowl wax ring goes a long way on c/o threads and screws. and since it's in a plastic wrapper it doesn't require a brush.
                              use it for just about everything except faucet stem and o-rings.

rick.
                              Y'know, that idea would work well, and never thought about it till now.

I used to have hyperdermic needles and used them to inject grease in spots I couldn't get my fingers to, but that was very time consuming to load them. Of course, I pulled the needles out of them and just used the the injection tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X