X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: As a professional plumber

There are always going to be people who need plumbers.

There are also going to be those who want to try to do things themselves. Pride will keep those guys from giving in and calling a professional. until the nagging get too much. Those people will have to pay for us to undo all the work they did and redo things properly.

More than free online adviCe I think home improvement centers are causing people to do more themselves.
    "Just show up Saturday at 10 am and in a half hour we will show you how to do some home improvement project."

Comment

This is going to be a strikeout, offensive, and may cause swelling to some...

but as long as there is college educated people on this earth, there will always be a demand for plumbers.

The majority of my clientell base when you start talking about homes above 150,000...they are all college educated, pay someone else to do their work.

Why? Because for the majority of them, they missed that crucial step growing up whether they was never exposed to that ability in life or the family they was raised in always "paid" to fix whatever is broke.

This is good for me because my trade will always be valued in this manner. I've seen people with a screwdriver in their hand...that they aren't even holding right. ThatsF'dup!@aol.com

So when someone calls me up and they are frantic and they've cross examined every plumber down the list because their toilet is clogged or there's a small drip coming from the angle stop and the world is ending as a result,

I'm always going to have a job.

And in regards to DIY'rs?

There's no better feeling when arriving to a home whereby a property spent their entire day and 4 trips to the hardware store, all to keep me from being there. And then I come in and make it look like it was second nature like a bowel movement.

One thing a college education robs a person of is that hands on experience to fix things that are broke. I'm not talking about replumbing your house, I'm talking about simple stuff. There are so many people that I work for that don't even have a simple tool kit. They just pay for anything that needs done, it's a normal cycle.

Personally? At times I feel their spending and buying decisions are smart, because there are times where the effort doesn't match the price, no matter what you charge. Good for them, bad for the contractor. Hard for the customer to see that value as well.
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-22-2009, 12:33 PM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Something we all need to remember is what NH said about the decline in the trade education at younger ages. Less and less kids are steered toward anything that requires mechanical brain/hand skills. So there's less of them to even attempt some things 'cause they have a job to pay for it or have no interest in it. I've seen them.

And less adults too. Years ago, around here, everbody made an attempt to do EVERYTHING themselves because they had a mechanical background growing up for survival if nothing else. Some did very good installations & repairs too. Some not so good.

Plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roof repair etc. They don't do as much of that anymore.

I've got no numbers to prove it but it might just be a "wash" in what's gained and lost.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          This is going to be a strikeout, offensive, and may cause swelling to some...

but as long as there is college educated people on this earth, there will always be a demand for plumbers.

The majority of my clientell base when you start talking about homes above 150,000...they are all college educated, pay someone else to do their work.

Why? Because for the majority of them, they missed that crucial step growing up whether they never exposed to that ability in life or the family they was raised in always "paid" to fix whatever is broke.

This is good for me because my trade will always be valued in this manner. I've seen people with a screwdriver in their hand...that they aren't even holding right. ThatsF'dup!@aol.com

So when someone calls me up and they are frantic and they've cross examined every plumber down the list because their toilet is clogged or there's a small drip coming from the angle stop and the world is ending as a result,

I'm always going to have a job.

And in regards to DIY'rs?

There's no better feeling when arriving to a home whereby a property spent their entire day and 4 trips to the hardware store, all to keep me from being there. And then I come in and make it look like it was second nature like a bowel movement.

One thing a college education robs a person of is that hands on experience to fix things that are broke. I'm not talking about replumbing your house, I'm talking about simple stuff. There are so many people that I work for that don't even have a simple tool kit. They just pay for anything that needs done, it's a normal cycle.

Personally? At times I feel their spending and buying decisions are smart, because there are times where the effort doesn't match the price, no matter what you charge. Good for them, bad for the contractor. Hard for the customer to see that value as well.

So what about college educated plumbers?

I know one personally.

Playstation 3 does not have a plumbing video game.
          Last edited by EasyEman; 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I don't give a damn about price and I don't give a damn about anyone's ability to pay. I care about the law. We now live in a society where it seems ok to appoint a TAX CHEAT to the IRS because we equivocate on every damn issue. Why not get rid of all professional licenses including doctors, lawyers, dentists and such? Why, because the public needs to be protected from injury and property damage by hacks. There is no grey area here and there has never been one. The law is the law. It was promulgated and implimented for a reason.
            sigpic

Comment

I have never felt threatened by a homeowner trying to do their own work. I will tell them when I believe they are over their head and I can't help them but if they are trying to do something simple it's not a problem. I believe in the long run I gained a lot of customers from the free advice I gave them.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and put my own view in on this one

Plumbing laws were made for a reason...That is a fact

I to will dispense free advice to MY customers or over the phone, it keeps them calling and enforces the "I will take care of them".

I very rarely offer free advice to non professionals on the internet... But am quick to chime in " call a professional"

I believe it is irresponsible for me to dispense advice to strangers since it could lead to injury, to the DIY'er or the general public and could take bread off of the table of a hard working plumber.

Plumbers are problem solvers by nature so it goes against our instincts to let a problem go buy without an answer but what cost the answer, We have no idea of the unintended consequences of our actions.

Some have been in business for 15-30 years and have built the client base those folks need to remember that they built there business long before this information age (the internet) and Home Depot.
                Remember that the way you did it is not going to be the same way that a business today is going to start... You can try to say that Good honest hard work will always succeed and to that I agree except a young business needs call volume to survive,

How is that young plumber/ business gonna get the light calls if the old men are talking homeowners through them on the internet?

Free advice via the internet only hurts the young tradesmen...

For these reasons I will always try to default to " Contact a local licensed plumbing professional"

Okie

Comment

OkieBill,
                  That is a perfect Statement of Facts.Thank you for the thoughtfull post.Even though I myself have a hard time refraining from helping others.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                    So what about college educated plumbers?

I know one personally.

Playstation 3 does not have a plumbing video game.

You know what I'm hammering at. I'm not saying all educated people cannot do their plumbing, but there's a staggering number that fix their plumbing with a checkbook and credit card, and I thank them graciously.

When times are tough financially, this is where they have to face the music of whether they spend, or they shut down the fixture till they "can" afford to pay someone to work on it.

We as plumbers know when we show up to do work and see the simplistic problems that we're charging for, two minutes to fix a problem or less and $100 out the door you go...

that makes up for the times you don't have that luxury in this profession and feel that the price you gave is robbing you of what it was truly worth.

Information is shared and traded on a massive level now..so why is my phone constantly ringing?

It's because people for the majority don't come to forum bases like these to get their information. It took me almost 2-3 years to join this site, and I was a lurker before I joined. I'm the exception because I have so much experience with forum boards in these matters. You'd "think" I would of joined instantly when I saw this board, and I didn't.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      Question?

" As a Professional Plumber am I doing my trade a disservice by dispensing free plumbing advice on public forums? By providing an answer am I taking a job away from a licensed plumber that is attempting to provide for his or her family? "

Agree or disagree

Okie
                      This has been and will be debated 'til long after the cows come home.

As for a my vote, I vote "disagree" to the question. The reasons are obvious and have been stated over and over.

But if anyone agrees, why are they here on this or any forum.

Comment

Amen Brother

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        I'm gonna go ahead and put my own view in on this one

Plumbing laws were made for a reason...That is a fact

I to will dispense free advice to MY customers or over the phone, it keeps them calling and enforces the "I will take care of them".

I very rarely offer free advice to non professionals on the internet... But am quick to chime in " call a professional"

I believe it is irresponsible for me to dispense advice to strangers since it could lead to injury, to the DIY'er or the general public and could take bread off of the table of a hard working plumber.

Plumbers are problem solvers by nature so it goes against our instincts to let a problem go buy without an answer but what cost the answer, We have no idea of the unintended consequences of our actions.

Some have been in business for 15-30 years and have built the client base those folks need to remember that they built there business long before this information age (the internet) and Home Depot.
                        Remember that the way you did it is not going to be the same way that a business today is going to start... You can try to say that Good honest hard work will always succeed and to that I agree except a young business needs call volume to survive,

How is that young plumber/ business gonna get the light calls if the old men are talking homeowners through them on the internet?

Free advice via the internet only hurts the young tradesmen...

For these reasons I will always try to default to " Contact a local licensed plumbing professional"

Okie
                        Very well put.
                        sigpic
                        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                          This has been and will be debated 'til long after the cows come home.

As for a my vote, I vote "disagree" to the question. The reasons are obvious and have been stated over and over.

But if anyone agrees, why are they here on this or any forum.
                          I hang on this forum as well as another to mingle with other like minded Professionals, there is no competition or arrogance here for me as I know none of these plumbers personally, and we are not competing for the same dollar, you will not see me give advice to any about the actual act of Plumbing as it is a right I have earned and not to be given freely. I also do not give alot out about my business strategy for the same reasons.

You never know who is at the other end of the computer receiving your information and using it to circumvent the proper processes.

Like was mentioned earlier I give advice over the phone to any and all customers of mine, breeds trust. I have been doing this long enough to sniff out those that would use my knowledge to rip off a customer, and to them I just politely mention that I would need to look at the project. They bother sombody else at that point.
                          sigpic
                          www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I have never felt threatened by a homeowner trying to do their own work. I will tell them when I believe they are over their head and I can't help them but if they are trying to do something simple it's not a problem. I believe in the long run I gained a lot of customers from the free advice I gave them.

Mark
                            I agree with Mark.

I work by myself and encourage some homeowners to give me a hand when doing renovations at there house.
                            I don't feel threatened with them watching and asking questions, I have seen them pick up tools and try to use them.
                            By the end of the job they know they don't know how to use tools correctly and they would prefer to pay me to do the job correctly the first time.

Simon

Comment

I know my reply in this thread is probably unwelcome due to the fact that I am NOT a licensed plumber, but I want to give my view. I only do plumbing work for my self (my own house) and for four separate companies I do work for. I have come on here several times asking questions, but rarely have they been on how to fix something. 99% of the time they are pertaining to general plumbing because I am curious (ex. asked what I would take to put a commercial toilet in a house, im not going to do this, I have just always wondered). I spend hours and hours a week on here reading and trying to educate myself. The first time I replaced a water heater I did about 6hrs of research on it and learned what the t&p valve is, how the heater works in general, and what I should and shouldn't do. NO, this 6hrs of research doesnt make me a pro, but I have common since and I am good and figureing things out. I will NOT do plumbing for individuals on any signifigant level because I am not licensed and I know that. The only reason I do it for the 4 comapanies that I am willing to is because If I didnt do it, they are never going to hire a licesense plumber. They would get billy bob's handy man service to do it. Me turning down the work that makes me money would in no way help the licensed plumber community.

I do pretty much anything and everything. Plumbing, electrical (I have somewhat of a back ground in electrical), carpentry, drywall and paint (I have a sub for large drywall and paint jobs), appliance repair, etc. Out of everything I do, If I decided to get a license in something one day it would probably be plumbing. I dont know why, and for me it seems to be the most unlikely choice, but thats the way it is. As a Non-licensed "plumber" I find that this fourm is very helpful and is a great group of guys. I dont advocated ANYONE who dosent know what they are doing attempting plumbing, but I dont see what the problem is with someone with a little common since changing out internals in their toilet or adjusting the temp in a single handle faucet.
                              While most of you guys are claiming to not want to help anyone do their own work I have noticed that if the person seems reasonably intelligent and has a basic idea of what they are doing you guys help them out. I also see way to many people who are idiots asking for an entire explanation and they are the ones who should and do get the "call a licensed plumber".

Ok, Im done babbleing on.......

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                                I think age might have a lot to do with it too. My parents are college educated and I'm college educated. When I was young, my dad would always try to fix stuff. I'm young, and I always try to fix stuff. This is mainly because, even if you make a "lot" of money; two kids and a house require a "lot" of money.

Now that my Dad is older and doesn't have kids at home, or a mortgage; he doesn't really fix anything. He even has started to pay someone to mow the lawn.

My neighbor is exactly the kind of person you describe (he is older, in his 40s). He pays people to do everything, including put up his kids swing set.

Comment

Working...
                                X