As a professional plumber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: As a professional plumber

I dont know where I stand on this issue, MANY MANY good points have been made for both sides. That being said, I do almost all of my own work that I am capapble of, which is quite a bit. I wire used to wire my own boilers, I can fix almost anything on any of my trucks, I used to be able to fix all my fathers equipment before all the computer stuff came around that you need a laptop just to diagnose a bad fuel injector.

So yes I was a proffesional plumber and yes I am also a DIYer. So that being said I do not fault someone for asking advise on changing a cartridge in their faucet. I will not tell them how to adjust the pilot or replace the thremocouple on their water heater because that isnt safe to do.

If someone is hell bent on doing something themselves shouldnt we give them the advice they need to make sure they do the job right to protect themselves?

I find it hard to believe that everyone here has never done something themselves. How many of you guys have rented a backhoe to dig a water service? or to dig up a crushed sewer pipe? Does your insurance cover excavating? I know mine didnt I would have needed a rider.

No one here has built shelves in their shop or changed the oil on their trucks? Ever wash your trucks, come on man takin money away from Paco working at the carwash?

If you dont want to give advise fine I agree with protecting our trade. But the stupid comments and attacking the people just doent project the PROFFESIONAL IMAGE that I worked my tail off to attain!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      I think age might have a lot to do with it too. My parents are college educated and I'm college educated. When I was young, my dad would always try to fix stuff. I'm young, and I always try to fix stuff. This is mainly because, even if you make a "lot" of money; two kids and a house require a "lot" of money.

Now that my Dad is older and doesn't have kids at home, or a mortgage; he doesn't really fix anything. He even has started to pay someone to mow the lawn.

My neighbor is exactly the kind of person you describe (he is older, in his 40s). He pays people to do everything, including put up his kids swing set.

I shouldn't categorize or single out a group of people based on their education level but I'm always working for them, the majority of them. That doesn't mean that some of them are capable of fixing everything and anything...I'm just stating that they were never exposed to this type of experience in any part of their life and they instantly "call a plumber" which is great for me.

These same people right now are being affected by the economy, they're trying to minimize my costs when before they took it on a nod and a handshake, just do it mentality.

But given the two groups of people, college educated and non college educated, you'll find a huge slant where the non-educated can get by in household repairs far better than those who went to college.

But, if the average is that college educated make 2 million in a lifetime against non-college educated 1 million, and that number is probably lower...what would be the gain in "knowing" how to fix your plumbing if you can easily afford to pay someone else. It makes sense, it also makes sense why I'm gainfully employed.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I don't give a damn about price and I don't give a damn about anyone's ability to pay. I care about the law. We now live in a society where it seems ok to appoint a TAX CHEAT to the IRS because we equivocate on every damn issue. Why not get rid of all professional licenses including doctors, lawyers, dentists and such? Why, because the public needs to be protected from injury and property damage by hacks. There is no grey area here and there has never been one. The law is the law. It was promulgated and implemented for a reason.

Many states have handyman clauses that allow unlicensed people to to work under a certain dollar amount. In Arizona a home owner can legally do quite a bit to their homes by themselves without using a licensed contractor. They still need permits but can pull them themselves.

I know in the northeast things are quite a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
          Many states have handyman clauses that allow unlicensed people to to work under a certain dollar amount. In Arizona a home owner can legally do quite a bit to their homes by themselves without using a licensed contractor. They still need permits but can pull them themselves.

I know in the northeast things are quite a bit different.
          I dont neccessarily agree with that though, My grandparents have a hous in Massachucetts, I went there last year and while there i noticed that the waterheater was leaking, 50 Gal. electric, a whopping 1/2 hour job to replace. I went to the supply house and since I didnt have a MASS. Plumbing license they would not sell me the heater, (maybe it was the yankee hat). I begged pleaded and showed my NY license but was ulitmately denied. Shouldnt there be somekind of reciporication for qualified proffesionals state to state?

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            But, if the average is that college educated make 2 million in a lifetime against non-college educated 1 million, and that number is probably lower...what would be the gain in "knowing" how to fix your plumbing if you can easily afford to pay someone else. It makes sense, it also makes sense why I'm gainfully employed.
            Of course the problem with that logic, is that for better or worse, the guy who makes $100k a year spends 2x as much as the guy who makes $50k a year on his house, etc., etc. Gasses always expand to fill their container; budgets are no different.

Comment

I guess the next logical questions / statements for this thread would be....

-- For me it has never been about being "threatened" I'm more than happy to help my customers over the phone or in person. That way I can judge the persons capabilities and get an accurate picture of the problem.
              --Remember Ridgid trys to absolve itself of responsibility with it's disclaimer do you as an advice giver also have a disclaimer? In this day and age litigation and liability are a way of life... (I know a plumber that makes is living dealing with plumbing litigation)

--If the economy is breeding the DIY'er how are we doing other licensed trades a favor by taking work from them? The only way the economy is going to get better is if money stays local and changes hands often. Home depot and Lowes are not part of the solution, Your local trades and localy owned business are the key...

--I come to this forum to help and be helped by other tradesmen. BUT one thing I forget is that RIDGID is a business and the reason this board exists is to promote the Ridgid brand. "Ask the Experts" is a very good pull to increase Ridgid brand recognition

--We all have our logic that motivates our actions... Consider all of the implications of your decision to dispense advice as a licensed plumbing... At the end of the day it comes down to being able to sleep at night.

I sleep great and I hope you do as well...

Okie

Comment

Do you think this guy is taking food out of our mouths?
                http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000
                I personally feel he's creating a great deal of good will for our profession.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbus View Post
                  do you think this guy is taking food out of our mouths?
                  i personally feel he's creating a great deal of good will for our profession.
                  good story thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

Great Story

A bit semantic as an apples to apples compairison though... If he was teaching a class at Home Depot to a group of adults I doubt you would be saying the same thing...

Okie

Comment

Two stories:

One lady called me and paid me for my time because she wants to do her plumbing herself. Among the tasks was a shower that she was tearing out because it leaked. It's on an upper floor - concrete. She's going to replace the framing around the shower, and there are the remains of a concrete floor in which I could see no sign of any pan. I suggested that the floor must be broken out and a pan installed and explained how it should be done.

She refuses. She doesn't think it needs that. She thinks that you can just seal it all with something and the guy at the big box store told her it isn't necessary.

Today, I went to look at another leaking shower for a lady who pays to have everything done. This one's on a wood floor and the tile looks very nice. As she tells the story, a "construction" guy did it all. Originally, there was a fiberglas shower and it was replaced with a slightly larger tile one.

My first look underneath where it's leaking finds fiberglas - the shower was apparently built over the existing fiberglas shower without removing all of it.

The drain is 1-1/2" instead of 2" and unvented.

I pulled up the caulked - in strainer and found a white flange over the ABS drain fitting. What kind of fitting it is, I don't know. I didn't recognize it. But it's apparently glued to the bottom of the fiberglas under the shower. I found no evidence of a pan, only a lot of tile underlayment. The white flange came right out. It had been threaded, much of which looked as if it had been bit off to make it fit. There were no matching threads on the lower piece of the drain fitting. The whole Rube Goldberg thing was just stuck together with tile grout.

Nice-looking tile. And it all has to come out, at least high enough to put in a pan. This is the difference between hack work and plumbing work. This is how we keep the public from being ripped off. To those hacks, would-be plumbers posting on this thread and defending themselves, how does this describe the work you do?

My community is also a primarily farm community. They do things themselves and it seems that they will do anything that they can to avoid hiring a real plumber.

And how do these stories fit the majority of DIY-ers who come here, arguing and insistent that they know what they're doing, rejecting the advice given and doing it their own way anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        Great Story

A bit semantic as an apples to apples compairison though... If he was teaching a class at Home Depot to a group of adults I doubt you would be saying the same thing...

Okie
                        It's not apples to apples, but germane all the same. I happened to see it in the paper and though it a good example of sharing our knowledge without jeopardizing our livelihood.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                          What I do like about his little seminar is that I think it will make these kids less likely to vandalize public facilities.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post
                            Nhmaster3015 I do understand your point of view and pretty much agree with it.However I also understand why people use handymen.I have seen others post about work theyve done and pricing here and there.The CA guys really impress me everything seems to be much more expensive in CA than it is here but the little Ive gathered from pricing on plumbing out there its not as expensive as it is here.Where I'm at a couple or few plumbing companys own the market anyone who takes a small piece of the pie ends up getting bought out.Business is business and thats all well & good but these large companys dominating the market is not good.The pricing goes beyond a fair price it comes right down to ripping people off.I believe plumbers should be able to earn a fair wage to compensate them for their experience and code knowledge.Its my opinion these large companys are what is destroying the trade.They buy a company use the name till it doesnt work anymore then they change their name to one of the other companys theyve bought.Its gotten to the point around here people dont trust plumbers compare us to lawyers.Are there decent plumber here that dont rip people off? Sure there is but people usually call the name of the company they seen on tv or what have you.After getting dealing with these companys people often never want to see a plumber again.I know there are many good and fair plumbers here on the forum but not so much in my town.

How would you feel if your truck needed work and it could only be done by a licensed repair person who may decide his time is worth 3000.00 per hr ?

Again I am not saying I approve of handymen doing plumbing work I just understand why people use them.

Your avatar for example The plumber protects the health of the nation while thats true, in my area you might as well add a line to the bottom that reads unless your low income or middle class in which case you deserve to have contaminated water.
                            Where r u from??

Comment

Working...
                            X