Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a professional plumber

Question?

" As a Professional Plumber am I doing my trade a disservice by dispensing free plumbing advice on public forums? By providing an answer am I taking a job away from a licensed plumber that is attempting to provide for his or her family? "

If we are so willing to give away our services for free do we have any room to complain about cut rate customers, handymen or craiglist ad's?

Agree or disagree

Okie

Re: As a professional plumber

Maybe,

I dont mind giving some friendly advice because I know that most people will not be able to accomplish what they want and need a pro anyway.

I've seen some people ask how to change a drum trap, and how to unstop a kitchen sink. You cant teach how to replace a drum trap properly or how to run a cable effectively on a forum.

It would be like me going on an auto mechanic forum and asking how to replace my air compressor. They can describe it, but I guarantee it will take me 10 times longer than a pro to replace, it will probably leak and I'll have to bring it to a pro anyway.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Sometimes yes. I've helped sometimes but I've also told people to call a professional to try and promote the trade.

Gotta' catch me on the right day I guess.

On the other hand I've had questions answered in the HVAC, building, & powertool sections where "experts" could just tell me to call a professional.

I've gotten as much as I've given.

J.C.

Comment

Absolutely yes. That's why I generally try to give advice that leads the poster to think perhaps hiring a professioal would be the more prudent option. And I never, ever give anyone advice on servicing or installing gas equipment or piping of any kind. Between DIY, the box stores, all the plastic crap on the market and the general dumbing down of the trade we are talking ourselves right out of a living.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Absolutely yes. That's why I generally try to give advice that leads the poster to think perhaps hiring a professional would be the more prudent option. And I never, ever give anyone advice on servicing or installing gas equipment or piping of any kind. Between DIY, the box stores, all the plastic crap on the market and the general dumbing down of the trade we are talking ourselves right out of a living.

I think that is spot on!
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

One thing I learned very early in life is plumbers are the most protective group of tradesmen there is.

I'll get flamed for it but I have to be honest.

Are you doing the trade a disservice by dispensing free plumbing advice on public forums?

No I dont really think so.A lot of questions are coming from diyers does it hurt anyone to give advice to someone who isnt going to call a plumber anyway? I think not

Sometimes people just cant afford a professional licensed plumber I would rather them get free advice from someone who knows than hire some fly by night hack who just slaps things together in any ole way just to collect the check not concerned with the health and or safety of the people living in the structure.

As for someone doing a small plumbing task themselves and saving some money It doesnt bother me at all.Is it going to destroy the entire trade I doubt it.

Comment

United we stand. Divided we fall.
              sigpic

Comment

Its a bad deal......

Yes

I spent 6 years in 3 states learning about plumbing, I have spent my whole adult life plumbing 21 years and I just turned 42 on the 2nd of this month, to give that hard earned knowledge away freely by any licensed plumber is just plain un-intelligent and makes no common sense at all .

This profession has been shrouded in mystery for many years as you "had to know sombody" to get in, and with the internet we are loosing that, any moron can look up information on the internet and become a "professional" overnight, just look at some of the garbage I have posted in the recent months since I joined this forum.

You may as well give your business strategy away to your competitors so that they have the same chance as you do surviving this economy, makes about as much sence.

It may not effect our livelyhood today but just for a second think about those that will follow in your footsteps.
                sigpic
                www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post

Sometimes people just cant afford a professional licensed plumber I would rather them get free advice from someone who knows than hire some fly by night hack who just slaps things together in any ole way just to collect the check not concerned with the health and or safety of the people living in the structure.
                  If they can afford a hack, they can afford a pro, as they will be paying for the same job twice.

Originally posted by slink View Post

As for someone doing a small plumbing task themselves and saving some money It doesnt bother me at all.Is it going to destroy the entire trade I doubt it.
                  I have no problem with a homeowner doing their own minor repairs, but honestly how many homeowners are actually looking around for information about fixing their own plumbing issues, not many I think, alot of hack handymen though.
                  sigpic
                  www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

I certainly didnt mean to even imply hiring a handyman to do plumbing is ok.I dont know pricing nationwide but I know in my city most licensed plumbers charge around 1300.00 for a water heater on average where as a handyman will charge around 600.00.The handymans h2o heater and installation will be of lower quality but does that matter to the family that struggled and borrowed just to get the 600.00 to have needed hot water? Do I agree with the handyman earning money while breaking the law? No I dont, but if the homeowner done it themselves It wouldnt bother me.

I certainly wasnt promoting the use of handymen I was saying its better for a pro to give advise to help a homeowner than for that homeowner to call a handyman.

Comment

The homeowner should hire a licensed plumber and the handyman plumbing without a license should go to jail for 60 days. We have laws for a reason, and that is to protect the general public from THEMSELVES.
                      sigpic

Comment

We just had a heater blow up and kill two people out here.
                        Preliminary reports say defective heater.
                        How much you want to bet the non-plumber capped the T&P blow off.

Comment

Nhmaster3015 I do understand your point of view and pretty much agree with it.However I also understand why people use handymen.I have seen others post about work theyve done and pricing here and there.The CA guys really impress me everything seems to be much more expensive in CA than it is here but the little Ive gathered from pricing on plumbing out there its not as expensive as it is here.Where I'm at a couple or few plumbing companys own the market anyone who takes a small piece of the pie ends up getting bought out.Business is business and thats all well & good but these large companys dominating the market is not good.The pricing goes beyond a fair price it comes right down to ripping people off.I believe plumbers should be able to earn a fair wage to compensate them for their experience and code knowledge.Its my opinion these large companys are what is destroying the trade.They buy a company use the name till it doesnt work anymore then they change their name to one of the other companys theyve bought.Its gotten to the point around here people dont trust plumbers compare us to lawyers.Are there decent plumber here that dont rip people off? Sure there is but people usually call the name of the company they seen on tv or what have you.After getting dealing with these companys people often never want to see a plumber again.I know there are many good and fair plumbers here on the forum but not so much in my town.

How would you feel if your truck needed work and it could only be done by a licensed repair person who may decide his time is worth 3000.00 per hr ?

Again I am not saying I approve of handymen doing plumbing work I just understand why people use them.

Your avatar for example The plumber protects the health of the nation while thats true, in my area you might as well add a line to the bottom that reads unless your low income or middle class in which case you deserve to have contaminated water.

Comment

Slink,
                            Don't kid yourself on the pricing.
                            There are plenty of liars in California telling people they have experience in aspects of plumbing trying to lead people to pay them over inflated prices.

They just don't post their prices,they know they'll get hammered.

Comment

The title of this thread reminded me when a lady was interviewing John Kruk of the Phillies. She asked him "John, as a professional athlete, do you blah, blah, blah...."

He replied "First of all ma'am, I'm not an athlete, I play professional baseball".

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X