X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viega Press Pex vs Crimp ring Pex

I have found what I think is a big difference in the crimp vs press pex. All the Zurn I have done when the copper ring is crimped the pex still rotates on the fitting. The Viega Press (with my ridgid 100b pressing tool) are tight no movement unless really forced. This makes you have to get everything how it needs to be the first time but thats how always was with copper anyway. And I have no scientific proof but sturdy non moving seems like a better connection.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Viega Press Pex vs Crimp ring Pex

It surprises me that you say "the pex still rotates on the fitting" after crimping the ring. With traditional ASTM copper rings (regardless of the brand), the ring is the only thing holding the fitting snug against the tube wall. If it is loose or rotating, then I can't see how it would hold pressure...

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      I have found what I think is a big difference in the crimp vs press pex. All the Zurn I have done when the copper ring is crimped the pex still rotates on the fitting. The Viega Press (with my ridgid 100b pressing tool) are tight no movement unless really forced. This makes you have to get everything how it needs to be the first time but thats how always was with copper anyway. And I have no scientific proof but sturdy non moving seems like a better connection.

I use the Viega Pureflow SS sleeves for Viega pex, the fitting don't move.

Comment

Originally posted by RIDGID Dave View Post
        It surprises me that you say "the pex still rotates on the fitting" after crimping the ring. With traditional ASTM copper rings (regardless of the brand), the ring is the only thing holding the fitting snug against the tube wall. If it is loose or rotating, then I can't see how it would hold pressure...
        On Zurn it is just an amount of pressure against the ribs on the fitting and they can still turn. On the Viega they don't unless you use a lot of force.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Cuda, on my hand crimpers and my press tool you cannot turn fittings after a press without some serious pull & you'll probably need a wrench.

With hand crimpers you have an adjustment for the pressure in the "Go-No Go" range. I notice the press tool leaves less of a dimple in the ring but have not had a difference in either one's performance. (Both pressurized to 100 psi.)

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X