X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trust old sweat joint that was reheated

When, as was the case yesterday with a coupling right behind a sweated on sillcock, an existing sweat joint is heated to the point that the solder flows, do you trust it? Obviously, I would cut it out if I could, but no room. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Re: trust old sweat joint that was reheated

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
    When, as was the case yesterday with a coupling right behind a sweated on sillcock, an existing sweat joint is heated to the point that the solder flows, do you trust it? Obviously, I would cut it out if I could, but no room. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    just my opinion, nope.

Vince

i'm only speaking from my from a liability point of view because i wouldn't risk the possible water damage if the joint dripped or let go.

Comment

i would atleast try to back solder it.

Comment

If the sweat joint was done right the first time ,I would trust it.
        I some times will turn fittings with no problems,a little paste and a touch of solder

Comment

I would trust it but only if I can add solder to the joint in question and visibly inspect it as yould any other joint. If the joint pulled apart and you resolder it, you don't need to flux or sand it since the joint is already tinned.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

typically if it will take flux and solder without spitting due to water / steam, then fine. as soon as it spits, it's toast.

new water safe flux is useless for this. you need the good old stuff

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              typically if it will take flux and solder without spitting due to water / steam, then fine. as soon as it spits, it's toast.

new water safe flux is useless for this. you need the good old stuff

rick.
              I use waterless flux . You no like?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Why not just rebuild the whole joint with a new coupling?
                You had the water off to solder in the first place add $5 bucks to the bill and have peace of mind. Instead of driving all the way home worrying about whether or not the joint will hold.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  I use waterless flux . You no like?
                  in the good old days/ pre-93-94? nokorode flux was the flux of choice.

then came water soluble flux. terrible. even on brand new dry pipe it was difficult to get fittings to slide together. and forget about assembling in the morning and solder in the afternoon. and if you had any water or moisture in the line, forget about making a joint that will not leak.

seems like the only flux that is halfway decent is "everflux". but remember that any water or moisture will turn to steam and steam or vapor will wash away your flux. no flux, no solder, no good, big leak

propress, water dripping, running, no problem, no leaks

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

The reason I ask--this is the third time I have tried to post this response, so hopefully only one will appear--is that there is no pipe to cut. The option is to remove brick or cut stucco or remove wood siding, or worse. It's not five minutes. There is no pipe to cut. The only option is sweating a fitting off, the problem being that doing so reheats the next fitting. I can trust the reheated fitting, or I can start removing brick. I value the advice of all of you, and if people on this site said they had trusted reheated fittings hundreds of times without incident, or with incident, I would put a lot of stock in that. It sounds like some of you do trust reheated fittings.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X