Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Whirlpool Legionella.... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whirlpool Legionella....

    Was called to look at a Whirlpool 40,000 BTU 50 NG FVIR. Told it was installed in January, 2009 & that it has been inadequate since installation compared to the original water heater. I found that water heaters' manual (Rheem) on site but it did not state which heater or btu was installed. (basic manual for a 30, 40, & 50 g/Rheem)

    My first thought was thermocouple for all the reasons you already know. It does NOT currently have any thermocouple problems & doesn't have the code involved with the thermocouple problems.

    It "functions" as I suppose it should......except for the thermostat. The pic of the stat is the way I found it. The pic of the thermometer is at the end of the firing cycle from a faucet about 10 ft. away at the full on stat position. Operates fine but will only produce 128. (I know the temp settings required & stat valve installations for code, safety, etc.)

    I just wanted to pass it on about another Whirlpool water heater problem mfg. by American Water Heater. I do not care who made the valve (Robertshaw), thermocouple, whatever. These companies are putting in inferior parts & systems out there.

    NHmaster is very passionate about legionella and you couldn't even make an attempt to prevent it with this heater. Some would never know it and there may be many out there.

    I suggest to avoid all of them or plan for callbacks & harm to your reputation.

    J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-27-2009, 12:50 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

    J.C., how accurate is that little dial thermometer? Have you checked it lately? Is it adjustable?

    Put it in a glass filled with ice and covered with water. And see how close it is to 32°F. +/- 2°F is about as good as you can expect out of an instrument like that if its in cal.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

      Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      J.C., how accurate is that little dial thermometer? Have you checked it lately? Is it adjustable?

      Put it in a glass filled with ice and covered with water. And see how close it is to 32°F. +/- 2°F is about as good as you can expect out of an instrument like that if its in cal.
      Honestly, I thunk of that too. I have no idea of it's calibration and it could definitely be off. Lower OR higher.

      I do know that you could hold your hand under the water for a good amount of time except at the top end of the firing cycle. (Hottest time) Then it felt "normal too hot" to me.

      You could hold your hand under the showerhead at the other end of the house indefinitely at all times. Non pressure balance Delta ball & spring.

      J.C.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

        I have had a couple that the gas control valve only works intermittently. I would go to troubleshoot and everything worked fine. Two days later would go back and could not make it light.

        Since they bought through a retail chain we replaced both heaters even though it was just the Gas control valve.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

          Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Honestly, I thunk of that too. I have no idea of it's calibration and it could definitely be off. Lower OR higher.

          I do know that you could hold your hand under the water for a good amount of time except at the top end of the firing cycle. (Hottest time) Then it felt "normal too hot" to me.

          You could hold your hand under the showerhead at the other end of the house indefinitely at all times. Non pressure balance Delta ball & spring.

          J.C.
          The quick field check for a thermometer is to do the ice bath as above. Some of those pocket temp indicators are adjustable (as in you can make a zero adjustment, but no range adj.) Look under the dial. Is there a hex around the base or a screw in the back of the dial? If yes you should be able to set it to 32 when in the ice bath. Then it should be within 2°F up to 180 or so.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

            JC does your wife no you got that out of her kitchen
            Have you ever pulled the red dial out a little, it will let you turn it hotter..

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

              Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              JC does your wife no you got that out of her kitchen
              Have you ever pulled the red dial out a little, it will let you turn it hotter..


              No. How 'bout edumacating me some.

              Thanks.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                there is a stop behind it ...but when you pull it out ,almost off ,it will go past it and the temp will go up

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                  Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                  there is a stop behind it ...but when you pull it out ,almost off ,it will go past it and the temp will go up
                  I think I'm getting more lost Del. I should never have to do what you describe but....

                  What "red dial" are you talking about? The only red control on this heater is the button you push down on to light the pilot. And that's all it does. No dial too it.

                  Thanks.

                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                    It would be a real trick to stick that thermometer in a slab of meat that was below 30 degrees!

                    It seems I've had a lot of calls lately for "water not hot enough" with brand knew tanks. One is a Bradford/white.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                      Am I The only one using Yellow Gas tape ????? I add blue magic over the tape, Look at the picture!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                        That's funny I put the Dope Under the tape ... Dave

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                          Sorry JC your dial is black, most of them here are red.i wasent paying attention..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Am I The only one using Yellow Gas tape ????? I add blue magic over the tape, Look at the picture!
                            Yes you are.
                            If I run into the rare district where they want it I don't have a problem replacing.
                            P.S.If I'm in the mood I'll use it in L.A.City.Sometimes they'll enforce.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Whirlpool Legionella....

                              Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                              That's funny I put the Dope Under the tape ... Dave
                              So the tape doesn't get down into and make contact with the valleys of the thread pattern causing it to spin/be pushed out before it can get into the fitting.

                              So,to all those that dope first.....
                              WHY????

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X