X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confession time, No Lie

I may have cut a bunch of them!! Trouble is I have no idea what they are. Ignorance is bliss. Seriosly what are they

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
      I may have cut a bunch of them!! Trouble is I have no idea what they are. Ignorance is bliss. Seriosly what are they
      They are cables used in concrete to reinforce the strength of concrete. For a home they are usually found in homes built on expansive soil but they are also used in bridges and large spans. Often there will be a stamp in the garage warning about the cables. The engineer decides where the cables go so depending on the needs you may have a grid with cables every 24". Because they are tightened (put under tension) they can come apart fairly violently when cut.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Does California have a cable holding it in place ?

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          Does California have a cable holding it in place ?

Bungee Cords.

Mark

Comment

HEy tool, it's Fri. night.

Comment

Hmm, never went through post tension, that would be pretty scary I am sure as they are pulled tight, and I am also sure that would be quiet a hit on my General liability.

I have however seen methane barriers and signage not to penetrate the slab.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Re: Confession time, No Lie Here's the deal !

I have cut hundreds ,if not thousands! It was one of My jobs in the 80s local 43 Oakland Ca.
                I was a pile buck ! We drive piles ,Pretty much to refusal. Some of them are 15' over Your head. 1ST You set a sling over You head , attach the nose of Your jackhammer , start blowing out concrete. Now Your into all the cables. You start burning them with Your torch. One eye on the shadow,all the while. Now there's 2 or 3 old Buicks over Your head ready to flatten You! You can NEVER read how the pile will fall. The Guys that cast these back in the yard said " Our winch pulls around 150,000 on all the cables. They then steam cure them.
                That speeds up the set. I did not Lie ! He He Scared Me into welding school , went back as a cert. welder , no more nightmares!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I may have had my water sandals on but I am not perfect. We use to do a ton of slab leaks for S&S homes because no one else would work on a post tension slab. We never saw cut but used a pacometer and a chipping hammer instead. Recently I had a 24" core done looking for a slab leak on a lawsuit and they used the Hilti to find the cables.

Mark
                  Actually Mark you raise an excellent point.
                  Due to the fact that technology has made so many advancements and cost coming down to make it more available to the layperson we are able to do the cleaner job the engineers are requiring.It used to be we would feather away small chips of concrete until identifieing the pattern of cables.The engineers now are asking that we leave a minimum of 3" of concrete encasing the cable.With the equipment you can layout everything and cut/core combination leaving a clean area for patch and strength.A condo remodel I did I was able to have the diagnostic guy use his seesnake to mark closet arm,radar to locate cables and transmiter+sr60 to locate slab copper.He drilled an 8" hole for the eighth bend used to relocate the wc to another wall.

Comment

Just sharing a little story.
                    Johny Contractor cut a series of cables in such a manner to lift the back edge of the house 3 inches as the tight cables had nothing holding them down(perpendicular cables)

Comment

I just installed them, cut plenty of em' while they were limp with a 14" demo saw or "the jaws". I don't do that concrte reinforcing stuff anymore, welding or the occasional structural job.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                        I just installed them, cut plenty of em' while they were limp with a 14" demo saw or "the jaws". I don't do that concrte reinforcing stuff anymore, welding or the occasional structural job.
                        Are We talking concrete piles or slabs?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

PT cables in bridge slabs, rebar cages in the casons next to the piles.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Actually Mark you raise an excellent point.
                            Due to the fact that technology has made so many advancements

Are you saying Mark is so old he preceeds technology?
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              Are you saying Mark is so old he preceeds technology?
                              No he wasn't, are you?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                No he wasn't, are you?

Mark
                                Nope!
                                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                                X