Banging pipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banging pipes

My pipes make a loud banging noise whenever the toilets or washer shut off. When I flush the toilet, just as the tank fills and the float shuts off the water supply, there is a loud bang in the pipes. I also experience a similar noise when the washer fill valve shuts off. What causes this noise and how do I fix it?

[ 07-05-2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Brad Hatchett ]
    Brad Hatchett<br />brad@hatchettfamily.net

What you are experiencing sounds like a "water hammer" during the operation of fast acting valves. As an explanation your pipes in the wall are jumping some what like your garden hose jumps when you turn the water on in the yard. When the pipe jumps it is hitting framing members of your home.

If this is something which has just started I would start by looking at your water pressure in your home and see if your regulator is working properly.

Assuming your pressure is okay the fix is to properly isolate the water lines from framing members. As this could require removal of wall coverings another fix is to install water hammer arrestors in the trouble areas.

Arrestors are available to install just in front of the stop to your water closet and the bibbs to your washing machine without going into the walls.

Good luck - Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

MARK IS RIGHT ON THE BUTTON. LIKE HE SAID, IS IT NEW PROBLEM OR SOMETHING YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH? DO YOU HAVE A BASEMENT, CRAWLSPACE, OR SLAB? IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE PIPING, THEN LOOK AT THE AREAS THAT ARE LOUD WHIT SOMEONE TURNING ON AND OFF THE WATER REAL FAST. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ISOLATE THE PROBLEM AND ISOLATE IT FROM THE AREA IT IS HITTING. POSSIBLE OTHER PIPES, ELECTRICAL, DUCTS, FRAMING.
      A WATER HAMMER ARRESTOR AND AN EXPANSION TANK WILL HELP TO ABSORB THIS NOISE, BUT IT WILL ONLY MASK YOUR REAL PROBLEM. THE PIPING NEEDS TO BE PROPERLY STRAPPED AND ISOLATED.
      RICK.

Comment

Working...
      X