• Show
Clear All

• Roofing nails+CSST=Trouble in Texas

http://www.wfaa.com/video/wfaagenera...ml?nvid=346074

Re: Roofing nails+CSST=Trouble in Texas

Any of yall using gastite products.

Comment

I have been using Wardflex for the past 3 or 4 years. never had a punctured line. Its all about how you install it. In that video the lines are way too close to the roof. That is just stupid. All you have to do is slow down and think. Besides, the inspector should have caught that.

Comment

Been plumbing 21+ years...only once have I ran WardFlex, and that's 1 too many.

Everything else is Black Iron and will be this way till I lay my tools down for the last time.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

couldn't open the link, but all csst piping has an installation standard that is there for a purpose.

any pipe can be penetrated. including steel gas pipe. a proper hit with a nail gun while nailing shear wall/ plywood will penetrate steel pipe.

seen it done. there are even pneumatic guns that shoot into concrete now.

if the proper installation standards are followed, there would be no way to hit the pipe.

once again i couldn't open the link, but roofers and csst sounds like an installation issue.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Didn't watch video but about 3 years ago went on a call at an apt. complex "excessive gas bill" in one of the units, About 20 units as I recall. Tankless water heaters had been installed, The plumber co. ran 1.5" csst off the individual gas meters up the outside wall ( 2 story) into the attic thru the roof eave blocking 2x4. Roofers came along @6 months later and shot nails into the csst which was right up against the roof sheathing, 3 holes total, fortunatly they only hit one csst tube. They were so lucky that the leak was right where the csst made the 90 so that gas went to outside, the attic was wide open 10 apts long kaboom! had to pump up the csst with air to listen for the leak, real inaccessable. They had covered the up the wall runs with a permanet stucco enclosure. Advised the owner about possibilities of future damages to the csst but I'm sure this particular owner will never take any precautions.

wookie

Comment

Watching that video what bothered me was the sloppy work installing the piping, it looked like spaghetti. An electrician could have done it with as much care . It is another sign of hte dumbing of the trade that there is so much gastite product or copper being used instead of black pipe.
              Those products do have a time and place that makes them the best choice but when this is so please show some pride and let it be known by the finished product you leave that it was done by a trained journeyman and not some hack handyman.

Comment

We also do roofing,only on our own additions. Want to Buy 2 tar kettles ?

Keep in mind , on a steep pitch , We're using 8 D nails around 2 1/2" long!
                Think of this if You're drilling rafters!
                I believe this has also happened in Mass. csst was banned for a short time there ?
                I like My pipe threader!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I don't use any CSST other than temp gaslines. Problem with that is lots of companies undercut me because their labour is half what mine is. We even went out to a job where a "reputable" company was planning to run gastite outside the house at chest level.
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Working...
                  X