X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Niche out there...for HWT's.

The Hot Water Tank versus tankless always seems to rage on repeatedly on our discussion board, many saying don't believe the hype, some singing their praises.

But I wonder if there is a middle ground. Many speculate that the costs can't be recouped, or they are just not worth installing in an existing house due to the venting and upsizing the gas line requirements. There's also the issue of sophisticated electronics and servicing required of tankless.

I really think that a middle ground would be the following - a smaller tank than what might be typically used at a house (if you were installing a conventional tank say), that is higher output, high efficiency, and made out of a high grade of stainless steel. There are a few advantages to this over say a tankless and a typical tank.

1) If it's a high quality stainless tank it should last a very long time. This is good for the environment and a good investment on the home owners part. Less trips to replace it, less manufacturing costs which all produce greenhouse gases, less money forked out over the long run.

2) Because it's slightly smaller you will not see as much in the way of standby losses. You also won't have to worry about how many GPM's you're getting and how many fixtures you're running.

3) Because it's slightly higher output (I'm talking 15,000 to 30,000 BTU's more say), it more than likely shouldn't require, at least in retrofit aplications, upsizing your gas lines, but it'll still produce as much hot water as the previous tank easily.

4) Yes, because it's high efficiency it'll probably need to have the exhaust/intake vents altered to stainless or pvc, but in new houses this ain't a problem.

5) The Gas burner would not need to be a modulating burner in this case which would save $$$ on manufactuering costs, just a high efficiency, single fire rate design which requries less electronics, etc.

6) Less maintenance/servicing requirements other than flushing out the condensate trap and draining out the tank once or twice a year which any homeowner can do if he or she is competant.

With all the factors above I really wonder IF there is a middle ground....The key here is the tank would need to last a long time, be high efficiency, not require as much in the way of retrofit alterations, and be easy to maintain.

Now are there any tanks out there like that? I know the make high efficiency conventional tanks but what about a stainless version (other than your average indirect).

Re: A Niche out there...for HWT's.

Tankless heaters have two advantages:

1 - They fit in a small space

2 - Uhhhhhhh... Ok there is no number 2
    sigpic

Comment

Tanks used to be solid copper. Tank had a life expectancy of 50 years or more. Only one reason not to go there, or to the stainless: $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Tankless heaters have two advantages:

1 - They fit in a small space
        2 - If sized right, they will not run out of hot water, which for some customers, is a priority.

Scott
        The product in this link beat you to the punch. It even impressed NHMaster.
        http://www.eternalwaterheater.com/te..._it_works.aspx

Comment

I had a customer call about a tankless install. I replied our company does not install them, then directed him toward the Consumer Reports.org write up last year. The customer stated, "all of Europe uses them, so they must have worked the bugs out. If the Europeans use them, they must be doing something right."

I did not even want to go there...

Comment

Oh yeah...lets not even mention water quality. Around here its terrible i.e. hardness, smells etc. I guess I should sell them a water softener, filtration system. Cause once that burner clogs up, the warranty is VOID.

Comment

Just one Question. Do You think there are more improper tankless installs than tank ones?

My guts say Yes , I don't know why though! I bet many are undersized on the gas feed!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think if space is at a premium, you have decent tap water, and your tap water doesn't get below ~45 in the winter, perhaps you should consider a tankless. Everything in plumbing is situational.

Comment

Incoming water right now..38 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                  X