• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody else do this?

just wondering.

Vince
    Attached Files

Re: Does anybody else do this?

I have done those in multifamily applications, with another re-circ for the domestic return line.

We used AO Smith systems (don't like their residential heaters), maybe check out some of their schematics.

One sample
    http://www.hotwater.com/lit/piping/A0380.pdf

List of piping scenarios
    http://www.hotwater.com/lit/piping.html

( and please read my post on wood boilers, you may have some insight for me)

Comment

Yea, nothing wrong with that. Not many tankless boiler coils left around here anymore. In colder climates when the boiler is running 8-9 months out of the years its makes good sense

Who can tell me why you need 2 relief valves installed?
      Last edited by plumberscrack; 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Who can tell me why you need 2 relief valves installed?
        Two relief valves for two discrete systems, separated by a heat exchanger in the indirect tank.

Comment

you need two relief valve because they are essentially 2 systems, the heating loop inside the tankless and the heated loop on the outside, does that make sense? Each system is "closed" seperated from each other.

back to Vinces Post, I have installed dozens of the amtrol's a couple of the triangle tubes, a couple bocks and peerless partners etc. etc., they work great, 1,000 times better than a tankless IMHO!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            you need two relief valve because they are essentially 2 systems, the heating loop inside the tankless and the heated loop on the outside, does that make sense? Each system is "closed" seperated from each other.
            Beat you by two minutes.

Comment

ahhh took too long to type!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
                I might...if I knew WTF it was.

As it stands right now looking at the pic unless I'm missing something this is FUBAR IMO.

Straighten me out here....

Okie

Comment

okay.

the boiler has a coil/tankless heater.

incoming cold supply/recirculated water it heated through the coil and goes to the HW storage and/or HWT/HWH.

the pump is used to circulate the HW in the tank back through the coil when the aqua-stat on the tank calls for heat.

the check-valves prevent short-circuiting.

it seems to work quite well.

this is kind of what i was getting at regarding using a tankless in this application. i realize it would take up more room but the tankless could be installed over the tank, maybe?

one could even install a little holding tank at a remote location with a circ pump to prevent what you guys call the "bump"?

i don't know. just picking your brains like the fresh dog head we had last night for supper.

Vince

i'm just kidding
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RDW920 View Post
                    I have done those in multifamily applications, with another re-circ for the domestic return line.

We used AO Smith systems (don't like their residential heaters), maybe check out some of their schematics.

One sample
                    http://www.hotwater.com/lit/piping/A0380.pdf

I've done them this way, too. high draw (nursing homes, etc)

I think the circ line should go back to the storage tank, via cold feed, not to the boiler, with a circ loop from boiler to tank and back to boiler. A-stat starts pump and fires boiler. HW return goes thru storage tank only.

My thinking is the boiler keeps the tank hot, tank supplies the hot water.

Comment

Wow. That's really confusing. I'll be in the corner if anyone needs me.

Comment

Years back we did that quite often, just to get some more capacity from the coil. Unfortunatly, it does give you the capacity, but it does not save a whole lot of money as compared to an indirect.
                        sigpic

Comment

i detailed the drawing a little more.

hopefully it's clear as mud.

Vince
                          Attached Files

Comment

With the way it's drawn, it's not two discrete systems. If the supply and return from the boiler both ran to side taps in the tank, circulating through a heat exchanger with cold going in and hot coming out the top of the tank, then it would be a true indirect tank.

Comment

You are still missing a relief valve

Comment

Working...
                              X