X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Traps [ whole house traps ] S.F. RATS

SF plumbing inspector signed off new furnace today. I always ask code Questions when they're friendly. We have long steep hills here. He says the traps help with stopping siphoning. We also have lots of rain. You can imagine the volume and velocity of water
    running by Your 4' lateral. He worked in the trade many years , and now believes they are a good thing, Didn't always! I have also heard the sewers are home to a zillion rats.
    Whole house traps keep them out.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Street Traps [ whole house traps ] S.F. RATS

The reason rain is an issue in San Francisco is their public sanitary sewer and storm sewer systems are combined, ie. they flow through the same pipes.

Comment

I wish houses here had them. They would be great for business. Better than tampons and wet wipes.

The only time you see them here is on trailers like these pictures.

I ran the clean out to the street to be thorough but of course the blockage was in the 4 inch p-trap. The clean outs upstream were surrounded by wet mud under the trailer so I cut the 3 inch vent and ran upstream.

I've heard of rats and real snakes in pipes but have never actually seen this. I have seen many thousands of roaches.
      Attached Files

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        The reason rain is an issue in San Francisco is their public sanitary sewer and storm sewer systems are combined, ie. they flow through the same pipes.
        I have always felt that was odd based on how environmentally friendly San Francisco claims to be.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I have always felt that was odd based on how environmentally friendly San Francisco claims to be.

Mark
          Why would it be unenvrionmentally friendly?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Sanitary sewer mixing with storm runoff creates alot more water to have to treat. Using more power and chemicals etc...

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
              Sanitary sewer mixing with storm runoff creates alot more water to have to treat. Using more power and chemicals etc...
              Understood. But what I wonder is how "contaminated" runoff actually can be? If not that polluted it's diluting the sewer making it easier to treat. But if it increases contamination......

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Why would it be unenvrionmentally friendly?

Thanks.

J.C.
                Because of the numerous sewage spills they have had. San Francisco has three treatment plants. One was built in 1951 and is only used during rainy seasons. Another was built in 1952 and is used 24/7 processing as much as 250,000,000 gallons per day. Both of these plants dischage 800 feet out into the San Francisco Bay rather than in to the Pacific Ocean. Both of these systems are over loaded during rainy seasons. On the west side of San Francisco they have a plane built in 1993 which runs 24/7 and processes 17,000,000 gallons per day. The big difference between the three plants is the later plant discharges 22,400 feet from the shore out into the Pacific Ocean.

Mark

Comment

We live in a bowl, ours has to run separately.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Have others seen the underground treatment systems/storage in Arizona? (I think that's the right state I watched a program about)

J.C.

Comment

http://www.adwr.state.az.us/dwr/Cont...ge/default.htm

Here's a link for underground storage. I found it pretty interesting how they do it.

J.C.

Comment

The sewer outfall was done by My old local #34 Pile drivers and divers.
                        Had a discussion with Dan Shea [one of our plumbing inspectors] years ago, about treating all the street and roof water, all roof leaders are plumbed to sewer laterals.
                        His argument. " All the oil from the pavement, is treated ,instead of dumping into the Bay.
                        Sounds like the right thing to Me. What do I know ?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Laws of Science dictate that the amount of water on earth is always the same. Just changes form, contamination, etc. I guess the problem will always be our willingness to keep the volume we require treated for use.

J.C.

Comment

Another thing to remember with San Francisco is the loss of watershed. You already have a situation where there is limited planted areas to allow rainwater to percolate into the aquifer. Now they take all of their rainwater and process it with sewage. The rainwater is then discharge it into the ocean (salt water) without any consideration for it to percolate into the aquifer. California is an arid State which gets a lot of their water by draining rural areas dry or from other States. So while San Francisco is relying on other areas to supply their water and on mandatory water rationing they are losing most of the benefit of their rainwater. That does not seem very "Green" to me.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              SF plumbing inspector signed off new furnace today. I always ask code Questions when they're friendly. We have long steep hills here. He says the traps help with stopping siphoning.
                              How does this work? It's the vents that prevent siphonage.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X