Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drilling a cast iron enameled sink

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    I'm assuming that's an electromagnetic frame drill?

I was always concerned about the heat created by drilling cast iron, and the possibility of te ceramic cracking days/weeks/months later after I did it.
    actually you drill it dry and it stays cool. the cast turns into graphite.

not an issue.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Mag drills have a powerful elec. magnet at it's base. when turned on ,It not only holds a very heavy drill upside down,but resists the multiple torque of the drill press!
      We also use annular cutters in this drill. 1 st time You see one drill through 1 1/2' steel plate
      You are amazed at the speed. I do welding,not as often anymore. It's a must for heavy Iron Work,not cheap! Mine has a tank for coolant reservoir
      Last edited by toolaholic; 04-02-2009, 09:54 PM.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        What does all of this mean? Ignorant to Mag drills.

J.C.
        a mag drill is short for magnetic. the base is an electro magnet that is energized to stick to the iron.

doesn't work on aluminum or most stainless

the drill is basically a coring drill for steel. works almost the same minus the water feed and 3' travel.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Ahh, that's cool that it doesn't heat then.

Back in the day I had a set of rotobroaches sp? and those bits were freaking fantastic for drilling large holes in steel. It looks like that is a sort of one that tozzi is showing.

Just had to put wax on it when drilling aluminum to keep it from gumming the teeth and it would go through metal of any thickness with ease.

It would put a tear in my eye though when one would break out of the set.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            a mag drill is short for magnetic. the base is an electro magnet that is energized to stick to the iron.

doesn't work on aluminum or most stainless

the drill is basically a coring drill for steel. works almost the same minus the water feed and 3' travel.

rick.
            For thin SS or aluminum, just put a 1/2" piece of steel under it and the 2000pound pull magnet won't go anywhere. I also have a suction base for the weird stuff. I have the coolant bottle, but a squirt bottle with cutting fluid works just as well.

Comment

I am thinking of having a plumber install an undersink water filter through our cast iron enameled sink. Should any plumber be able to do drill as you indicated? Or should I have someone else do the drilling and if so, whom? I am in Hastings on Hudson, NY, zip 10706.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeasmel View Post
                I am thinking of having a plumber install an undersink water filter through our cast iron enameled sink. Should any plumber be able to do drill as you indicated? Or should I have someone else do the drilling and if so, whom? I am in Hastings on Hudson, NY, zip 10706.
                From the looks of this thread I doubt too many people calling themselves plumbers know what they are doing in this area.
                Better make a copy of this before they procede.

Comment

if it's the standard filter faucet, this requires a 7/16'' or larger hole that a good carbide drill bit will do.

fortunately there is a lot of chipping space that will get covered and shouldn't pose an issue.

apply a strip of tape and mark your hole. the standard spread is 4'' between centers.

apply enough pressure to keep the bit from walking and drill away. use caution before it breaks through to prevent the drill chuck from ramming the finished sink as it breaks through.

use a magnet to pick up the cast shavings and don't allow them to get wet or rust into the white sink.

post some photos.

now if the hole required is a standard 1.25''- 1.375'', then you better get someone who owns theses bits and knows how to do it. it's not the breaking of the sink to worry about, it's the chipping of the enamel

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I have a nice Mag drill for My metal fab work. Imagine ,with care,It would work great for drilling a sink
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Not only do I get a little refreasher on plumbing here but I learned how to drill a hole in cast iron sink thanks again Rick
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        for those of you that have never drilled an enameled cast iron sink, here's the steps involved.

it a 3 step process.

#1 drill the 1/4'' pilot hole through the enamel and cast iron sink.

#2 drill the porcelain/ enamel with the carbide porcelain cutter. this is a spring loaded diamond shaped bit designed to score through the enamel and limit the chipping to within the scored area.

#3 drill through the inner circle with the carbide cutter. this will cut through the porcelain and cast iron.

make sure to keep the area as dry as possible to prevent the cast iron dust from rusting into the sinks finish. also notice the magnet i keep there to collect the shavings.

also verify that there are no casting webs where you plan on drilling as it would be difficult to tighten the fixture with a hunk of cast iron protruding below.

also practice on a scrap sink first as 1 mistake or chip will require an expensive replacement. this could be a granite top, tile, or self rimming sink.

the 3 piece kit is sold by relton and comes in a variety of sizes. this one was 1.25''. most common for sinks. i also have a 1.75'' cutter.

this particular job was for an electrician who was installing an ise disposal air switch. all i did was the drilling. took 10 minutes plus the 2 phone calls from adam

rick.
                        Man, I have to stop reading this message board! Now there are more tools I'm going to buy.

Today I just bought a RD 7000 DL locator, which I should get tomorrow. (Hope it lives up to the hype) I picked up the plastic fitting hub drill set from Wheeler Rex I ordered last week. (Which looks solid!!) I ordered some new spare cable and spare parts from Spartan for my 2001. There are a few other things I've purchased I won't bore you with. It's been a ridiculous couple weeks. But I'll get tax deductions next year.

That 4x6 Electric eel expanding cutter is the best thing since bottled milk! I cleaned out a sewer so whistle clean yesterday even Ron would be proud.

Ron..
                        That Super Ro pump?? Is that supposed to be very, I mean VERY hard to operate? Do I need to spray some silicone lube in the tube to loosen it up? I'm about ready to put it on the "useless" shelf in the garage.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

rickster

thank you. breid.................

Comment

My plumber doesn't want to do this drilling. Said he's not comfortable with it and that it will crack the porcelin. Who can i get to do the drilling? Is there a granite person perhaps? or???

Comment

Originally posted by mikeasmel View Post
                              My plumber doesn't want to do this drilling. Said he's not comfortable with it and that it will crack the porcelin. Who can i get to do the drilling? Is there a granite person perhaps? or???
                              the granite person will have a diamond core bit, but most likely not the proper bit for a sink.

i also have a diamond drill bit and i would think it can be done with caution. first drill a 1/4''pilot hole for the center mark. then slowly score the porcelain with a diamond core bit for the outside score mark. then swap to a smaller diamond core bit for the actual hole.

the diamond core bit should score the porcelain down to the cast iron enough to prevent chipping beyond the score mark.

if need be, practice on a used sink so you don't ruin the keeper

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Really bumming...nobody I know wants to do this drilling. I have called plumbers, plumbing supply houses, marble and granite companies, etc. They said that while the idea sounds nice, that I will likely burn out these drill bits and that they cost $150 each! Isn't there ANYONE out there in the 10706 (Hastings on Hudson, NY) area that will do this for me?
                                Help????

Comment

Working...
                                X