Drilling a cast iron enameled sink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drilling a cast iron enameled sink

Sounds like you have a bunch of sissy lala's out there or you don't like what you're being quoted.

If you're buying local the store should have a referral, if web purchase reconsider and buy local and get it installed.

You haven't provided info as far as type of filter or hole size needed.

If you're handy and have a 1/2" drill already just buy the Relton setup and go for it.

If a 1/2" hole is all thats needed its a done deal, 1 1/4" go for it anyway, Plumber Rick gave a good tutorial.

wookie

Comment

This is the product that I bought from Costco.com Would have bought local if I knew about this issue ahead of time.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11487220

Seems to need a 1/2" hole from what I can tell

http://www.costco.com/images/content...pdf/443365.pdf

I am not comfortable doing this as I am an amateur...but I cannot believe that I cannot find someone to do it that is professional. What kind of craftsman might do this? Plumber? or??

Comment

mike, i couldn't open the installation guide, but it's probably a 7/16''- 1/2'' hole. fortunately you have a larger area that gets covered and a little chipping should hide ok.

try buying an "artu" carbide multipurpose drill bit.

these should be available online or at a decent hardware store.

post a photo of your sink and mark the spot with a coin or felt tip so i can see the condition you have.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Contact the manufactor Watts Premier, they usually have a referral list of installers and service companies.

wookie

Comment

BUMP.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

What does all of this mean? Ignorant to Mag drills.

J.C.
              I think you guys missed what BobsPlumbing was asking about.

I believe he was asking about the chain.

The chain is used as a safety to ensure if the power is interrupted to the electromagnet that the drill does not fall and injure someone as has happened a number of times. Even if used upright/on top if the magnet loses power the whole unit will spin because the bit has more resistance than the mass of the non-magnetized drill has.

We need RIDGID to offer an 18V cordless mag-drill JK

Rick: why did you bump this thread?
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

dumb question, the other day doing some tile I bought a diamond Milwaukee "hole saw", to drill the tile for the spout and shower head, lennox makes a diamond blade for cutting cast iron sewer pipe, (slow but work reasonable effective,

but would not one of those "hole saws" cut the porcelin and the cast iron? I just took a scrap of dry wall and drilled a hole in it for a starting guide as there is no pilot bit.

the cost of the bit was under $35, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...0517/204994414 a good bi metal hole saw most likely would cut the cast if want to use two bits, if one need "lubricant" and heat control some cooking oil should do, (keep the iron from rusting). there are some cheaper carbide grit bits that should be able to do the porcelin, and then hole saw the steel or cast, (different sizes of that hole saw are available)

Rick what do you think?
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If your not a professional and need to do just a few holes, a similar result can also be obtained useing the MILLWAUKEE tungsten grit saws and the standard arbor. I use a cordless drill to start the hole with a 1/4 inch high quality masonry bit basically to "grind" through the porcelain then once through change over to a MILLWAUKEE hole hawg mostly because its just more comfortable for me. I set it on high and I use a wet dry vac to vacum the dust as the hole is being drilled. Once you get past the porcelain it goes pretty fast and you won't need to cool the bit but it will get pretty toasty. The MILLWAUKEE hole shooter is safer particularly if your not used to a hole hawg. For continuous performance however Ricks set up is definately the way to go.
                  Last edited by Mightyservant; 05-13-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

The milwaukee diamond bit will work but you still need a centering pilot bit to keep it centered. the milwaukee is not set up for that. Also the porcelain can still chip since there is no clearance between the hole saw and the cut porcelain. 1 could use a slightly larger diamond bit to cut the porcelain and then use the smaller size to cut the cast and not touch the clean scored porcelain.

Remember my bit has been around a lot longer than those diamond grit hole saws. yes, both will work if done the way i explained, but without a pilot center bit, 1 can easily slip and ruin the sinks finish.

Bumped was so it will come back alive and spark some interest. The search feature sucks. I know there are many guys that wanted to know the process.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Interesting. Rick I note your comment on the diamond bit. Are you seeing the downfall in quality with the bits on offer. We have lots of garbage and very little quality.

Comment

Yes it will chip a little and if your worried don't take a chance. If the trim is close fitting then don't chance it. I'll start it real slow until the ROTOHAMMER bit wears through. Grit type saws and blades will abrade material like sandpaper and not so much a cut through it so for me I'm pretty comfortable with them. Its more for simplicity really, If I drilled more than a handful of those, then I'd be running over to TOOLUP to get one of those rigs.
                        Last edited by Mightyservant; 05-14-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

It is always interesting to see what is available to you guys. Surprised or not we are generally screwed over down here with choice. Obviously the import duty we cop is huge, at least that is the first thing they throw at us. Then of course they say they have minimum quantity to buy from O/S suppliers. Hence ebay is generally where we get the good suff you guys take for granted. Interesting this thread in that we dont really see enameled sinks anymore. Saying this watching this thread is just like going back to learning all over.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                            PLUMBER RICK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What do you see now? Stainless steel?

Rick.

• Mightyservant
                            Mightyservant commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm currious Cleanmen2, is this EBay AU? Shipping costs must be significant within your country or NZ. Imperial sizes and shipping must make it a rough go from the US.

• Cleanmen2
                            Cleanmen2 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Rick mostly we see Stainless Steel. We do have some wiz-bang composite type sinks which are pretty expensive and a pain in the A to install. I have had a replica china type some years ago but generally S/S is all the go..........!!!!!
                            Mightyservant we pretty much get a raw deal compared to you guys. Yep shipping is a ***** too. Looking seriously collectively our whole population is approx 10% at best of US of A and your market is just a "little bit bigger" than ours. And yes we are pretty much metricated downunder. Imperial sizes are still used but second best...............!!!

I remember My Mother's soapstone sink in the 50s . We've come a long way !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The Relton PC20 is a no brainer for drilling cast iron sinks. I think I've had mine for almost 40 years.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, just googled this. Amazing. I havent seen anything like this before and would nearly say it doesnt exist downunder. Someone please correct me so I can get a look

Comment

• ToUtahNow
                                ToUtahNow commented
                                Editing a comment
                                GOLIATH THREADING TOOLS PTY LTD
                                336 VICTORIA STREET, BRUNSWICK, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA 3056 • OFF.: 03 9387 4755
                                FAX: 03 9387 9219
                                INTERNATIONAL: +61 3 9387 4755 • INTERNATIONAL FAX: +61 3 9387 9219

• ToUtahNow
                                ToUtahNow commented
                                Editing a comment
                                They are listed as distributors but I don't know what they carry
                            Working...
                            X