X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any problems....

You see any problems here? This is easy of course.

Found it today in a new house where the builder went under & the plumber disappeared. House recently sold.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Re: Any problems....

is it sideways? you gotta rename your pics so they dont give away the answer to your question!

Comment

What kind of flux do most plumbers use out there.
      Looks like this guy used old school LA-CO.
      Is the water on to the residence.

I know it's X'd

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        is it sideways? you gotta rename your pics so they dont give away the answer to your question!
        You're right. I need it labeled that way though for further reference plus I figured everyone would get it pretty quick.

The plumber installed the valve sideways. Hot going into the showerhead. Cold in the tub, etc.

FLUX. There is no common-agreed upon flux. Everybody uses whatever. Believe it or not I consider Cali. one of the last "Art of Plumbing" places when it comes to water distribution since they've hung on to copper for as long as they could.

So I would think good plumbers there would be more knowledgeable about good/bad fluxes.

Some here swear by the old school LACO. I never much cared for it. I like Nokorode & Taramet Sterling. (NC Company )

I did know the melting point of a bunch of solders & flux combinations but I think the Primer got it.

J.C.

Comment

Water is on to the resident. But not in this shower.

J.C.

Comment

The valve not working was NOT the only plumbing problem.

Can you guess the other? You DO have enough information.

Might be easy for some....

J.C.

Comment

looks like some garbage in the cold side going down to the spout

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
                Hot an cold water mixing to other fixtures?
                Yep. Good call Jim. Others were scared to even try.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Yep. Good call Jim. Others were scared to even try.

J.C.
                  Yeah,
                  You ask the question in the middle of the night when all good plumbers
                  should be resting so they're not dragging a$$ on hourly the next day

Big Jim's the early bird snatching up this fat worm.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Yeah,
                    You ask the question in the middle of the night when all good plumbers
                    should be resting so they're not dragging a$$ on hourly the next day

Big Jim's the early bird snatching up this fat worm.
                    No, no, no. I watched MANY of the smart plumbers read it for quite awhile.

Middle of the night? Around 9 your time. You must have been on a night ride.

Hard to stump Big Jim. He ran the CI in the Palace of Versailles.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

FLUX. There is no common-agreed upon flux. Everybody uses whatever. Believe it or not I consider Cali. one of the last "Art of Plumbing" places when it comes to water distribution since they've hung on to copper for as long as they could.

So I would think good plumbers there would be more knowledgeable about good/bad fluxes.

Some here swear by the old school LACO. I never much cared for it. I like Nokorode & Taramet Sterling. (NC Company )J.C.
                      According to the Copper Development Assoc.:
                      "The fluxes best suited for soldering copper and copper alloy tube should meet the requirements of ASTM B 813, Standard Specification for Liquid and Paste Fluxes for Soldering Applications of Copper and Copper Alloy Tube."

ASTM B 813 fluxes are water soluble.

Because of the danger of lawsuit due to pin hole leaks possibly caused by puddling paste flux I switched to
                      Nokorode® Aqua Flux™ after trying out a number of water soluble fluxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        According to the Copper Development Assoc.:
                        "The fluxes best suited for soldering copper and copper alloy tube should meet the requirements of ASTM B 813, Standard Specification for Liquid and Paste Fluxes for Soldering Applications of Copper and Copper Alloy Tube."

ASTM B 813 fluxes are water soluble.

Because of the danger of lawsuit due to pin hole leaks possibly caused by puddling paste flux I switched to
                        Nokorode® Aqua Flux™ after trying out a number of water soluble fluxes.
                        Thanks. I went a few rounds with an engineer over at Plumbing Mechanical Engineering Mag site (Think that's what it was. Haven't been there in a while.) when the water solubles were coming into play.

He sent pics of scoped joints saying that there were "aeration holes" (If I recall right. Once again it's been awhile.) in solder from regular flux and was part of his reasoning that water flushable should be used. But I don't recall any typical pics from the outlet/flow side of joints where you see pinholing from turblence, flux, etc.

He never could or would tell me what the difference in life expectancy of a system was when using H20 flushable vs. non flushable.

Anybody got any links of studies or articles showing this?

J.C.

P.S. I am aware of the water quality & PPM reasons for the flushable flux requirements.
                        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM.

Comment

JC
                          If you ever get a chance to attend a CDA roadshow, I suggest you do so. They have cutaways showing damage caused by paste solder.
                          I don't know of any studies, but I have run into pin holes, though the cause of same could be attributed to a number of causes. And that's just the point. If you're ever evolved in litigation over failed copper, the first thing the claimant's expert witness will do is study a sample of the failure, looking for things like unreamed pipe ends and paste flux. So, even if the failure is substantially caused by a bad batch of pipe, if the ends weren't reamed or paste flux was used, you'll get saddled with a portion of the claim.

Comment

Thanks Plumbus. If I ever can I will go and talk with them. Good information.

Thanks again.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                            X