Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Does anyone make a natural gas 40 gallon wh 35" tall???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone make a natural gas 40 gallon wh 35" tall???

This area is flooded with them...and I usually have to convert to electric. Always in a crawl, on a well, filled with sediment. The one from today is almost 10 years old. Made by State.

Call was for a T&P dripping. Got there and found the dial was turned up to 150 degrees. I lowered it to 120, and activated the T&P, out flushed a load of grime. Then the T&P leaked even more (without activating it manually). So I installed a new one. Flushed the tank and waited for the water heater to heat the water and shut off. When it did, I could only get 105 degrees from the closest faucet (3 feet) away. I even held the top of my hand under the boiler drain, and the water was luke warm (in case my thermostat was bad). I verified the dial was at 120, then turned it up to 140, took a second, then fired up. Then I turned it down. All I can figure is the thermostat is going haywire, submerged in sediment and cannot function. Replacement might cause the same thing, due to the sediment. So I turned it off.
    Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 04-04-2009, 02:38 PM.

Re: Does anyone make a natural gas 40 gallon wh 35" tall???

I think they stopped all production on LowBoy Gas models. Might have to go Electric, Exterior Hut, or tankless.

I've looked at about 50 or more heaters & different brands to try and find you something.

Sorry.

J.C.

Comment

I was told several years ago production was stopping on most if not all gas low boys. We did change overs to electric or DV in a closet on the full hight side of the basement(usually split levels).
      Mike

Comment

Thanks for your help looking. I turned up a dead end as well. Owner called and wants the gas valve replaced. So I have to find one that would go for a State.

Comment

Anyone know why they stopped production?

You wouldn't believe how many buildings have those lowboy gas water heaters....and there's no way to modify...
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Anyone know why they stopped production?

You wouldn't believe how many buildings have those lowboy gas water heaters....and there's no way to modify...
            I think it was a code issue? Dang I don't no where I herd it though.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
              Thanks for your help looking. I turned up a dead end as well. Owner called and wants the gas valve replaced. So I have to find one that would go for a State.
              Just buy a hardware store gas valve they have a little coupling encase it isn't as low as the other. and if the State has a left handed thread thermocouple just install a standerd thread. But I think whirlpool only has the left hand thread.

Comment

So far the only one I could find was for a rheem. Still looking though.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  So far the only one I could find was for a rheem. Still looking though.
                  No matter as long as the burner assembly reaches. Robertshaw and unitrol are the most commin but robert shaw is either higher or lower by about a .5 inch. no troubles just find the brand of gas valve the brand of water heater doesnt matter. Of coarse I would not suggest doing something the manufacturer would not approve of. Check with them !st
                  Last edited by saysflushable; 04-05-2009, 12:30 AM. Reason: liability

Comment

State uses a white rodgers gas valve,
                    try johnstone supply for one
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

When you pull the old one out ,,see how much crust is around the probe that goes inside the tank,,i have seen the crust affect the true reading the thermostat picks up..Maybe why its turned up but its not hot

Comment

I will check that out. I am sure it has something to do with not being flushed in 9 years and on a well with no filtration.

Comment

Working...
                        X