Plumbers and boilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbers and boilers

I was talking to the master plumber I work with here in Minnesota and he told me that a company needs to have a Low Pressure Steam and Hot Water license to work on boilers. Plumbers can only work on the backflow preventer. Basically, I would have to join the union for 4 years and work as a pipefitter if I wanted that license.

Is this how it is everywhere else?
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Plumbers and boilers

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
    I was talking to the master plumber I work with here in Minnesota and he told me that a company needs to have a Low Pressure Steam and Hot Water license to work on boilers. Plumbers can only work on the backflow preventer. Basically, I would have to join the union for 4 years and work as a pipefitter if I wanted that license.

In Arizona there is a separate certification for backflow work. They do have a separate license for boilers. It requires four years of working with a licensed contractor.
    Last edited by EasyEman; 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Round these parts you only need a firemans license (boiler) to work on steam generators in excess of 100lbs and even that ain't mandatory. BFP license not required either but highly recommended/
      sigpic

Comment

In NJ you get a Low Pressure License with your MP License. The backflow cert is separate and you don't need to hold a MP license to get the BF cert, but to do the work you need it or work under someone who holds a MP license. Right now there is nothing equivalent to a MP license required for working on heating systems, but it is coming. The law has been passed and it will go in effect soon. Basically the same requirements and testing as for a MP license. MPs do not have to get the dual license.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

There is nothing in Minnesota code that requires you to have a hot water heating license on a low pressure system. What part of the state do you work in and what type boiler applications are you talking about here? High Pressure steam systems are something completely different.

Comment

There is nothing in New York requiering a licence for heating systems either. Anyone off the street can walk in and put one in here.

Comment

Master Plumber/Gasfitter in md however I think their is something called a stationary engineer's lic. That takes care of high pressure steam but I have never touched the stuff. But no union can have a lock on any lic. and if so its should be outlawed!

Comment

if i wanted to know about the law, i call the state. the nice people will tell you the rules. works for me. breid.....................

Comment

HouseofAtlas:

What the master plumber told you is true for the cities of Minneapolis, and St. Paul. They each require "certificate of competencies" for their cities for various trades, including Heating. It's not true that the State has any such requirement for working on boilers untill you get into high pressure steam (over 15 psi). There are, however, other cities that require you to be licensed in certain other cities to be able to work on boilers or HVAC in their municipalities. One example is that the City of West St. Paul requires that a plumber be licensed in a "Class A City" in order to get a license to do business in the City of West St. Paul. This requirement means you have to be licensed in either St. Paul or Minneapolis to work in West St. Paul.

So probably the best thing you can do is to contact any given city you want to do boiler work in and see what is required.

Hope this helps a little.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

You're correct Geno, no requirement in the rest of the state. No requirement up here on Da Range!

Comment

Working...
                    X