Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you run 2" pvc underground?

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    Illinois code allows it, but most inspectors make it 4" or 3". I have a remodel and I can either run the 5' of 4" for the shower, or the 2". Under concrete, in the basement. The shower base is 34"x48". My gut says run with the larger. So I will. Homeowner also feels better about it.

You should have an approved set of plans that says what size pipe to use. It is part of the permit process. I imagine they do require a permit for a job like that.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      4" is what a handy man would choose.
      A handy man would choose 1.5" and cellular core. Its cheaper, less digging and less glue and primer (if they use it). That sir is very inflamatory....a troll and now this?
      Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Are you planning to adapt the shower base to a four inch floor drain? They usually come with a two inch drain.

Comment

A handy man would choose 1.5" and cellular core. Its cheaper, less digging and less glue and primer (if they use it). That sir is very inflamatory....a troll and now this?
          Sorry,there is no Question on the choice! 2 " will flow faster
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

what code does your state follow?

are there local amendments that are printed or is it just the inspectors doing because his shower at home plugs up

i can tell you this. with our commercial inspectors/ 3 residential units and larger, they are typically ex plumbers and know better.

with our combination inspectors/ 2 residential units and smaller, they are clueless when it comes to plumbing.

have the inspector give you the code section and then follow it to the tee

otherwise have a nice talk with them and expalin your concerns and mention ours too. 10 of us can't all be wrong

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Well as it turns out, the H/O decided to go with a different layout. The shower will grab the original rough 2" drain. And the toilet, 4" with the 2" vent wet venting the lav.

"This" inspector will allow up to 8' of 2" underground.

Inspectors that have their minds made up, are not going to care what the code minimum says. They can go one up on it. So it really does not matter what I, or any of you think.

Aside from some smart a$$ remarks, there was some good info here.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                Are you planning to adapt the shower base to a four inch floor drain? They usually come with a two inch drain.
                No that was a Seinfeld episode, oh wait, garbage disposal. No, they have you bring 4" to the base, than reduce to 2".

Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Inspectors that have their minds made up, are not going to care what the code minimum says. They can go one up on it. So it really does not matter what I, or any of you think.
                  I dont play their games. I deal with 6 different city and county inspectors daily. One of them was a lumber salesman and has never turned a sheet metal screw in his life. Then one day he took the inspectors test and passed it. Now all of a sudden he's an expert. He told me once he wanted me to set my furnaces on a plastic a/c pad. I told him, "No, thats the biggest hackjob thing I've ever heard of and I wont do it unless you show me where its written in the city code". He says, "Well thats just what I like to see". I said "I dont do things that way".

I've found with some inspectors that if you let them walk all over you, they will. If you stand up for yourself and let them know you know your business they will treat you just fine. That inspector been nice to me ever since.

Andy

Comment

I'm with Ruudacguy, I have asked more than one inspector to call his boss out to the site. None of us are perfect and that includes inspectors.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                      I've found with some inspectors that if you let them walk all over you, they will.

I have never had that problem.

Comment

Though I can't speak on the Illinois State Plumbing Code, since I've never studied it, I would follow Shock1964's advice. "Always size your lines according to load ("drainage" fixture units) as per the tables in whatever code rules in your jurisdiction." My book (UPC) requires 2" up to 4 dfus, 3" up to 6 dfu's and 4" up to 8 dfus. In some showers, with multiple heads and body sprays, you might need a 3", or rarely a 4" trap and drain. For a single shower head (2 dfu's) the standard 2" trap, whether buried in concrete or not, is adequate.

Comment

Had an inspector that I had to explain Why I split a water System into Filtered and Non filtered .... Filtered to the Sinks Cold Side (Central everpure System) and Non Filtered to The Hot System Showers and Wc's ... But there is a Whole House to get the Chunks out ...

It's Nice NOT to have NASTY tasting water at a Lav :-)

Dave

Comment

Tell Your inspectors " there sure is a lot of 2" under slabs in this country,working just fine"
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              4" is what a handy man would choose.
                              Or a guy that can't add fixture units, does not know what fixture units are, trap loads, physics, plumbing, idea of how plumbing works......yeah I guess handyman for short.

oh well. fun times!
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

NIP, I question inspectors all the time, because a stupid inspector is an inspector that will cost you alot of money.

Nothing worse.

Glad you figured it out. You are IPC OR UPC?
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X