Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you run 2" pvc underground?

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    "This" inspector will allow up to 8' of 2" underground.
    That is interesting. I've never read that or been told that by an inspector. Could you ask him for a reference in the book?

Does that mean he wouldn't allow more than 8' of horizontal 2" above ground either?

I'm being serious here. Not a smart a$$. If I have came across that way, I apologize, as that is not my intention.

Comment

3 or 4" underground for a shower and only 8' ?!!!
      Next week on FRINGE........

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
        I dont play their games. I deal with 6 different city and county inspectors daily. One of them was a lumber salesman and has never turned a sheet metal screw in his life. Then one day he took the inspectors test and passed it. Now all of a sudden he's an expert. He told me once he wanted me to set my furnaces on a plastic a/c pad. I told him, "No, thats the biggest hackjob thing I've ever heard of and I wont do it unless you show me where its written in the city code". He says, "Well thats just what I like to see". I said "I dont do things that way".

I've found with some inspectors that if you let them walk all over you, they will. If you stand up for yourself and let them know you know your business they will treat you just fine. That inspector been nice to me ever since.

Andy

I agree totally. The local residential city inspectors are "jacks of all trades, masters of none!"
        The first gas water heater I ever installed under my license was picked on by the city inspector because the relief valve piping was only a couple inches from the floor. He told me the relief valve tubing was too close to the floor. I sat there with the codebook in my hands and read the code to him...the IPC NC code states: 504.6.1 : "The relief valve shall discharge full size to a safe place of disposal such as within 6 inches of the floor." 4" or 3" is ok because it falls within the defintion of WITHIN 6 INCHES.
        He shut his mouth after that and gave me the green tag.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

2" is sufficiant.
          www.seminoleplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            I agree totally. The local residential city inspectors are "jacks of all trades, masters of none!"
            The first gas water heater I ever installed under my license was picked on by the city inspector because the relief valve piping was only a couple inches from the floor. He told me the relief valve tubing was too close to the floor. I sat there with the codebook in my hands and read the code to him...the IPC NC code states: 504.6.1 : "The relief valve shall discharge full size to a safe place of disposal such as within 6 inches of the floor." 4" or 3" is ok because it falls within the defintion of WITHIN 6 INCHES.
            He shut his mouth after that and gave me the green tag.
            interesting as the upc is 6'' minimum and 24'' maximum.

6'' to keep the dirt and bugs out and 24'' to keep the kids from getting under it and being scalded.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

What I find interesting here is the apparent universal lack of truly professional inspectors. I am amazed that almost everywhere inspectors are not required to be trained journeymen with "x" years of experience in the field before being allowed to sit in judgement over our work. If all inspectors actually fit that description I am sure all our lives would be easier on inspection days.

Comment

By far, the best inspectors are former tradesman .
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The 8' is the maximum length of the trap arm for 2" pipe. According to the code book any way.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    By far, the best inspectors are former tradesman .

Sometimes they get a little full of themselves too.

Comment

You need to plumb in S.F., to truly appreciate My statement . I'll let Your imagination

fill in the blanks.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                        The 8' is the maximum length of the trap arm for 2" pipe. According to the code book any way.
                        4' in IL.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
                          4' in IL.
                          EasyEman may have mistyped as the UPC has a maximum of 5' for a 2" trap arm.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

maybe it is the wrong table but... 2009 IPC table 906.1. Maxium distance of fixture trap from vent. 2"= 8 feet.

UPC is 5 feet but I was just trying to give a possible explanation for the 8 feet his inspector wanted.

Comment

maybe it is the wrong table but... 2009 IPC table 906.1. Maxium distance of fixture trap from vent. 2"= 8 feet.

UPC is 5 feet but I was just trying to give a possible explanation for the 8 feet his inspector wanted.
                              Now I am really confused. When did you guys jump ship and go to the IPC as your primary Plumbing Code?

2006 Uniform Plumbing Code and local Amendments
                              “Mayor and Council has determined that the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code will be
                              the primary plumbing code for the City of Tucson. The 2006 International Plumbing Code,
                              may be used as an alternate means through an
                              Appeal to the Building Official.”

Mark

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I recall having once run a 2" ABS drain underground to the 4" main because it was far easier than trying to keep it in the basement. I OK'd it with the inspector first. It seems to me that it would have been insane to run it in 4" once it got outside.

And I agree about inspectors. I used to do a lot of houses in Idaho Falls and the inspectors were retired something-or-others and I saw them pass the most horrible excuses for plumbing.

At least as bad, I think, is the inspector who gets his apprenticeship under his belt and immediately becomes an inspector. Had one who came to my house to talk to me and told me that from now on all tub traps were going to be 2" rather than 1-1/2" - don't know where he got that one, but someone set him right eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                X