X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you run 2" pvc underground?

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    I have never had that problem.
    I must have mis-interpreted this thread. My apologies.

Here, the answer would be no. Only CI is allowed underground. The first fitting at the floor level is a hub x spigot. It gets packed and poured. Rubber bushings are ok for use with hub CI underground.

Andy

Comment

C.I. insitute must have their hands in someones pocket on that c.i. underground only business.Fire rated applications I get, but in the dirt?!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Now I am really confused. When did you guys jump ship and go to the IPC as your primary Plumbing Code?

2006 Uniform Plumbing Code and local Amendments
        “Mayor and Council has determined that the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code will be
        the primary plumbing code for the City of Tucson. The 2006 International Plumbing Code,
        may be used as an alternate means through an
        Appeal to the Building Official.”

Mark

Yeah Tucson is UPC, Pima County and ALL the other jurisdictions within the area are on the IPC. So I try to keep up with both. "They" say if you go by the UPC you'll be ok for the International code I am not that confident in what they say.
        Last edited by EasyEman; 04-08-2009, 07:20 PM. Reason: needed a comma

Comment

In Joliet, which is under the Illinois code. All commercial undergrounds are cast iron. All drains are 4 inch. Vents can be 2 inch. For a lav, or drinking fountain, you can turn up a long sweep, then stick a piece of 2" PVC into the gasketed hub. A shower drain gets a 4" p-trap, and you can use a PVC riser. Several suburban towns in Cook County are the same way, except you transition to PVC above grade. Don't tell the inspectors about DFU's and scouring. It's 4" underground, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
            .....A shower drain gets a 4" p-trap......

The funny thing about that is, there is a line in our code that says the trap size can't be larger than the outlet of the fixture. Example: No 2" p trap on a tub or 1 1/2" p trap on a lavatory.

So I guess we're back to "do as the inspector says."

Comment

Yep,
              some inspectors think about their job and the science involved. Others put their brains in park and just say, "it's always been done this way."

Comment

in peoria which is ill code you can run pvc for underground and every drain does not have to have a 4" trap.show me in the code book

Comment

I had a inspector make me move a lav on a carrier 3/4 in a handicapped bathroom and after that i havent had problems when he does rough in inspects or finish inspects, so i guess he just pushed me to se how far i would go.
                  "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

I have set plumbing all over Illinois and have never heard of inspectors doing this a bigger line will take away the turbulence needed to keep the pipe from building up deposits of minerals and soap scum. Id pull the green book out and call the guy on it or make him show you his local code.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                      In Joliet, which is under the Illinois code. All commercial undergrounds are cast iron. All drains are 4 inch. Vents can be 2 inch. For a lav, or drinking fountain, you can turn up a long sweep, then stick a piece of 2" PVC into the gasketed hub. A shower drain gets a 4" p-trap, and you can use a PVC riser. Several suburban towns in Cook County are the same way, except you transition to PVC above grade. Don't tell the inspectors about DFU's and scouring. It's 4" underground, period.
                      Not true , Il. state code minimum is PVC below grade , up to 6 dfu on 2 " ( 100% sure it is allowed in Naperville , Schaumburg , Hanover Pk. all in the state of Il. ) in all residential and commercial applications . Job specs or a mechanical engineer may require it on a commercial job but the state does'nt . As for the 4" trap for a shower , many guys years ago used to run 4" on a slab U.G. if they were a little off on the rough in they would drop in a Mustee or a Fiat moulded stone base , setting it on a couple of wax rings , no direct connection . In Il. we have the " State of Illinois " plumbing code to follow . Any local village can make amendments to it as long as it's an upgrade , they are supposed to be in writing and on file at the village hall and on record with the state . Many inspectors have their own " amendments " to the state code there just is'nt any record of them . I pretty much make a phone call and ask the local inspector to stop by and chat if I'm not familiar with him when I start a new job , never been turned down in 30 plus years .
                      Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Working...
                      X