X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you run 2" pvc underground?

Illinois code allows it, but most inspectors make it 4" or 3". I have a remodel and I can either run the 5' of 4" for the shower, or the 2". Under concrete, in the basement. The shower base is 34"x48". My gut says run with the larger. So I will. Homeowner also feels better about it.

Re: Would you run 2" pvc underground?

sounds like you answered your own question!!

G3

Comment

Maybe I don't understand what you are asking. The purpose of 4" to a shower is what?

I've dealt a fair amount of inspectors in IL, but I've never had one tell me to do that.

Comment

4 inch seems like overkill for a shower. 4 inch ptrap?

or 2 inch ptrap to 4 by 2 y?

I would do 2 inch because when it stops up you can get a more effective cleaning with the right size cable. Cleaning a 4 inch line with a 2 inch access will not be as effective. Of course the 4 inch will probably take 10 to 20 years to stop up.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

4" Pvc to a shower? That is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard of. Lets see here....4" can handle how many fixture units? 3" in that situation is overkill. 2" is the proper pipe size to use in that situation, without a doubt. Use your codebook, anybody can oversize pipe so that it works. Do it the right way, vent your system properly, and minimum pipe sizes will work flawlessly.

Comment

I'm not sure why you would want to run such a large pipe to the shower. The idea of designing a system is to design it to where the pipe and fittings are self-scouring. A 4" pipe to the shower is just going to leave a lot of soap scum and such behind.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I know what I am going to do...I am just wondering if anyone else would think along the same line.

Hebert, thats the whole purpose, its oversized so it wont have a problem and have to be rodded, or dug up.

Different inspectors want different things. One wants 3" pvc to be run to a shower with body sprays. Thats above slab. Another made us run 4" pvc 25' underground for a slop sink.

This line would run 4", then reduce down to a 2" trap for the drain.

Showers stop up, and I have cut a lot of lines out in ceilings that are 2". Personally, I think its a small investment to avert/avoid a bigger problem later down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                A 4" pipe to the shower is just going to leave a lot of soap scum and such behind.

Mark
                Why would it do that? What if the 2" line dropped into the main which is 4", it would still rinse out.

Comment

Originally posted by BNelson View Post
                  4" Pvc to a shower? That is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard of. Lets see here....4" can handle how many fixture units? 3" in that situation is overkill. 2" is the proper pipe size to use in that situation, without a doubt. Use your codebook, anybody can oversize pipe so that it works. Do it the right way, vent your system properly, and minimum pipe sizes will work flawlessly.
                  Thanks for the insulting feedback...so I will put you down as a "no."

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                    Why would it do that? What if the 2" line dropped into the main which is 4", it would still rinse out.
                    If you have ever experimented with DWV systems using clear PVC you will see a properly designed system will run at about half full when the fixture is draining. It helps keep the velocity of the waste moving to where soaps and solids will not be left behind. If the pipe runs a short distance and then ties into a larger line it is generally because other fixtures are added which will assist in scouring the line.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                      You out to see some of the commercial/high-rises out here. They do just what your saying and are constantly stopping up, full of that wonderful, black smelly sludge!

Good for business though!

Comment

Always size your lines according to load (fixture units) as per the tables in whatever code rules in your jurisdiction. 2" under the slab should not ever be a problem if properly vented and sized according to load.

Comment

I don't think 4" is neccessary for a shower drain, but if you do run it that way just make sure that you vent the shower and leave a full size cleanout for the 4"

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

4" is what a handy man would choose.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X