Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

High pitch hum from plumbing after flush.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitch hum from plumbing after flush.

A problem has developed in my house the past month or so and I was wondering if someone can offer an explanation. Whenever a toilet is flushed or a tap turned off a high pitch hum usually occurs permeating the house. The hum can last for 20 seconds sometimes. For the musically inclined the hum is around middle 'C'. The house has two stories with 3 toilets and is 14 years old. Any ideas what is causing this and how I can fix it?

check alll the fluid masters in all the toilets in the house! they are what is causing the problem.One or more of the, is slowly closing and causing this hum due to the fact that you must ahve decent water pressure.
    Pete
    Advance tech
    sewer and drain

Comment

Re: High pitch hum from plumbing after flush.

I have a twist on this same problem. I get a fog horn type sound whenever a toilet is flushed - from a different bathroom - or when a shower is being run. Hum stops when water is turned off. Have isolated the noise to the hot cut off valve under a bathroom sink, so we keep it turned off till I figure out just where to waist the money at. All fixtures are less than 8 years old and components (cartridge, cut off valve, etc) appear in good, clean shape.
      ?
      Mike

Comment

Sounds like it could be a bad regulator. Go buy yourself a water pressure test gauge, they are not expensive. Screw it onto a hose bib on the house system or on to a laundry bib and pressurize it. Now go flush a toilet and see if there is a pressure drop from what it was just reading before the flush. Don't go anywhere, stay with the test gauge the whole time and get back to us with the results.

Comment

I agree, check the water pressure and then the regulator if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
            Sounds like it could be a bad regulator. Go buy yourself a water pressure test gauge, they are not expensive. Screw it onto a hose bib on the house system or on to a laundry bib and pressurize it. Now go flush a toilet and see if there is a pressure drop from what it was just reading before the flush. Don't go anywhere, stay with the test gauge the whole time and get back to us with the results.
            The pressure reads 100 psi, drops to 84 with flush and returns/rebounds even to 100 when water shuts off. Same thing if I start the washing machine; it drops to 78 psi and stays there while on.

Comment

Sounds lile you need a regulator also.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaz View Post
                The pressure reads 100 psi, drops to 84 with flush and returns/rebounds even to 100 when water shuts off. Same thing if I start the washing machine; it drops to 78 psi and stays there while on.
                you need to either install, or replace a pressure reducing valve. your water pressure shouldn't be Over 80 psi.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have been dealing with this problem for 2 weeks now! I installed a new kitchen faucet for a Lowe's customer and checked the pressure before installing and it ran my gauge past 100 psi . So I installed a new watts X65 prv in the crawl space on the main pressed in a new ball valve and set the pressure at 60 psi and left. 4 days later I get a call that she is having a hum sound call up Watts and they tell me that if you reduce the pressure in a home where the street pressure is 3 time you regulator setting you will get a hum sound when small amounts of water flow thru the valve. They tell me to bump it up to 75 and see if it goes away I do and get a call a week later . Same thing go back under the house and set it at 80 psi and now waiting for another call
                  The watts guy told me if I could not get the regulator to with in half the street pressure that I would most likely need to install another regulator below the first and set that one at half the street pressure and then set the first one where I want it in a sense stage the pressure down. I have never had this happen and just started to use the X65 and in the bulletin for the valve they state that the regulator parts " float " eliminating hum sounds well I would have to question that now having to deal with this Has any one else on here ever had this problem?
                  Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

We don't have very many regulator or PRV valves around here, so maybe your problems are related to that. But I have heard this humming noise not only at my own house, but alot of customers houses too. And what it is, is the vac breaker on the outside hose bibb (whether it's a screw on type or integral, like on a frost free) making noise cuz there is a nozzle on the end of their garden hose, & they forgot to turn off hose bibb. This causes hose vac breaker to stay under pressure,& will humm or squeel, due to pressure fluctuations, from garden hose staying pressurized. Try telling them to turn off all outside hose bibbs, & see if that does it. Worth a try anyway.
                    If I leave my outside hose bibb on, in the back of my house,with hose pressurized, it makes a loud humming or vibrating noise, everytime we flush toilet, or turn on the washmachine. I have FF Mansfield with integral VB.

Comment

She is in Baltimore City and the hose bibs are just boiler drains screwed into a 1/2" female adaptor . no vac breaker .

Comment

Try replacing the fill valve in your toilet. I have had fluidmasters create a humming noise from filling or a cold water tap in close proximity being turned on.
                        Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                        Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                          I have been dealing with this problem for 2 weeks now! I installed a new kitchen faucet for a Lowe's customer and checked the pressure before installing and it ran my gauge past 100 psi . So I installed a new watts X65 prv in the crawl space on the main pressed in a new ball valve and set the pressure at 60 psi and left. 4 days later I get a call that she is having a hum sound call up Watts and they tell me that if you reduce the pressure in a home where the street pressure is 3 time you regulator setting you will get a hum sound when small amounts of water flow thru the valve. They tell me to bump it up to 75 and see if it goes away I do and get a call a week later . Same thing go back under the house and set it at 80 psi and now waiting for another call
                          The watts guy told me if I could not get the regulator to with in half the street pressure that I would most likely need to install another regulator below the first and set that one at half the street pressure and then set the first one where I want it in a sense stage the pressure down. I have never had this happen and just started to use the X65 and in the bulletin for the valve they state that the regulator parts " float " eliminating hum sounds well I would have to question that now having to deal with this Has any one else on here ever had this problem?
                          Not necessarily a problem.Out here we have some communities that are on hilltops,some call the mountains.The pressure is cranked up to get the water there.Leaving the residents at the base having to put in piggy Backed HIGH pressure regulotors.

Stadard regulators should not have a problem holding back 100psi.What is your Max. guage reading? What is "past 100 psi".

Comment

Oh,by the way.
                            Yeah...I'd probably hunt down a fill valve.

Comment

I did not put the 200 psi gauge on when I checked only the 100 psi with my hose hook up so I could check it at the kitchen faucet valve . I saw it was over 100 psi and did not know about staging the pressure down at the time . So city supply is unknown. This sound only happens when small amounts of water are drawn thru the vale like lavatory or kitchen and no problem with the toilet or bath tub faucet . Baltimore city has been relining the mains with a plastic coating so were you had crappy pressure for years now is really high . But the thing I really wonder about is the X65 really not as good as the older prvs . I got these valves because you got less pressure loss it was half what the older watts could so may be if I had the older model it would bring it down just by the valve design ? I would just think this would be a problem in a big setting like a restaurant where you have a truly big main and normally lots of flow and if one faucet is run to me that would make sense but this is a one bath house 3/4" service . The water distribution system is run in 1/2" and I wonder if that adds to this .

Comment

Working...
                              X