X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolts too short

went to a blocked toilet call. plumber has removrd toilet, cleaned flange, and attempted to run a small hand auger into the line. no luck so i get the call.

cleared the line (at aprox 70 feet)and prepped to reset the toilet. American Standard, low boy, one piece. all goes well until i try to put the nuts on the bolts. less that 2 threads above the base. never had this happen before

call the plumber to ask about the bolts and his cell is off.

tomorrow i guess i go buy 4 1/2 bolts and redo this freaking PITA again.

i've never seen this before and was curious if anyone else here has encountered this.

i'm gonna walk the dogs and fix the 1st of several martinis tonight

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: bolts too short

I usually replace them anyway. I did run into a situation where I was out of bolts and had to reuse the ones there. Came up short when you included the metal washer and the cap washer.

Took the cap washer off and cranked down some on just the metal washer to pull the bolt up. Only had a couple of threads to start. Then removed the nuts, replaced the cap washer, had a couple of threads to start again, tightened it all up.

Don't know if the toilet seated more or the flange pulled up a little. No rocking or leaks underneath. Tight & no problems.

Go figure.

J.C.

Comment

Leave the bolt cap washers off and if there is still not enough room try to install the nuts upside down.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Or better yet, caulk it down and run. It'll hold till someone leans and farts.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

We kept a kit on the trucks just for that rare occassions when we needed 3 1/2" closet bolts.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            We kept a kit on the trucks just for that rare occassions when we needed 3 1/2" closet bolts.

Mark
            A kit? I keep "long" and "regular" closet bolts. Same thing?

J.C.

Comment

The standard 2 1/4" bolts we used either came with the wax ring or we had prepackaged closet bolt sets. In addition we had like a small tackle box with an assortment of nuts, washers, nut caps, nut cap washers and 3 1/2" "extra-long" closet bolts.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think Rick would make a good version of the Lion. Photoshop?

J.C.

Comment

I had a situation in one of my older schools of a flush valve toilet that was loose at the base. I got a new waxring and bolt set ready and pulled the toilet. To my surprise after 40+ years the toilet was never bolted down.......... because it couldn't be; the caulking held it previously; it was an 8 1/2 inch rough! Without jackhammering up the tile and concrete floor, I had to be a hack and install an offset quickset C.I. ring. I still had to chisel some wall tile to make it work. I thought all plumbers were professionals back then! I will try and fix it right when the next remodel is done. Oh ya, our schools are broke till further notice.

Comment

Steve, don't You carry these and w rings on Your truck? That's pretty minimal.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

replaced the old (new 2 1/4) bolts with new (new 4 1/2) bolts. actually a 2 1/2 would have worked but that doesn't exist

i can honestly say that with the gazillion or so toilets i've popped and put back this is the only time i've needed longer bolts. had i pulled the throne i might have noticed the diference in length.

as of today i have a small collection of nice BIG bolts for the future

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X