Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

    No grout for a residential toilet. For bars and fast food restaurants it's a must. Unless you want to go back every 2 weeks to pull and replace the PVC flange.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

      Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Is there a 2009 IPC Plumbing?

      I have not recieved it yet
      Yes there is! I got it last week.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

        Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
        got a call From one of my customers Today ... She had a "Tile Guy" There he asked me how I installed the toilet and I replied Latex Modified Thin Set ... He had No Idea How to pull it ... I told him to use a thin kerf Diamond then a gentle nudge should do it ... he freaked out called me an Idiot to my customer and gave up on the Idea of re tiling the bathroom floor ... .... I have never had a problem getting a grouted Closet loose ...

        Anybody think the "tile Guy " is a Wuss ?

        How many of You use Grout ?

        Dave

        It is usually easier to remove a grouted w/c than a caulked w/c. I just remove the nuts and washers and lift one side then the other.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

          Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Is there a 2009 IPC Plumbing?

          I have not recieved it yet
          yeah i got it the other day

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

            I don't like it when they are grouted down, as the grout usually cracks in at least one spot when I pull them. But it is better than thinset or that awful acrylic caulk that sets up hard and sticks like liquid nails.

            The tile guy is a total wuss who just wanted an excuse to not do the job; worst case the toilet gets chipped, so buy another one.

            I don't know why they (the tile guys) can't just do a nice job of floating the tile and leave a flat spot for the toilet. We're talking about maybe 6 tiles that have to be just right out of the whole floor; how tough is that? I see floors where there are 3/8" differnces in tile height where the toilet has to sit. I don't do tile and even I can do better than this.

            And while I'm ranting pull up the old crap first so the flange is at the right height, and rip out the drywall behind and replace it instead of just screwing a new sheet over it so I can fit the lid on, you lazy crap remodel doing losers.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

              Thank You To All Who responded :-)

              Dave

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

                I don't know why they (the tile guys) can't just do a nice job of floating the tile and leave a flat spot for the toilet. We're talking about maybe 6 tiles that have to be just right out of the whole floor; how tough is that? I see floors where there are 3/8" differnces in tile height where the toilet has to sit. I don't do tile and even I can do better than this.
                I haven't seen the work you see, so I can't comment on what you've run into. But often times the slab is not in very good shape around the flange. The bathroom is at it's worst right there. There are, no doubt, hacks in ANY profession that wont do a decent job given the best of circumstances. But it is a little unfair to paint every bathroom tile job as a simple situation and expect that the tile guy will leave you a perfect situation when the homeowner is just as interested in saving time and money with the tile guy as they are with the plumber.

                I suppose a tile guy could chip all the tile down so that he doesn't have any high spots to worry about. Or he could compensate by using way more thinset in that area, which necessitates some modifications to the the rest of the floor so that it transitions nice.

                Personally I think that the tile guy just needs to do the best he can do, given the time and money the HO will allow and the plumber will have to do the same.

                I am ON RECORD as saying this is a total pansy of a tile guy that we started this discussion with. I just don't think every situation is the same.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                  rofl,
                  Most tradesmen anymore are influenced by many things other than providing the best product that the customer thinks they're getting.
                  It's frustrating seeing more people do less work for more money.
                  Adam

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                    agreed.

                    And honestly, I wont take a job if I'm not allowed to do it to a certain standard. There are a lot of guys that are content to do poor workmanship because that's what the HO was willing to pay for or, "I can't see it from my house".

                    Being a guy who lays a lot of tile myself, I just want to express the other side of the equation also.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                      Whining Tile hack....Well I guess that just depends on this tile guys situation.Some companys make there tile guys reset the toilet some companys wont allow there guys to reset the toilet.I have never seen a toilet grouted down but I guess if I did my first thought would be why? what kind of mess am I going to find when I pull that toilet? If this guy was going to have to reset the toilet and thought there may be existing plumbing problems to prevent him from getting it done correctly he was smart to walk away.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                        Yes every job is different, and tradeoffs are made, and the h/o rarely knows any better so they just take the lowest bid, and get what they pay for.

                        But I've seen where a bathroom with a wall discharge toilet was re-tiled right around the base of the toilet w/o removing it. It was actually a really nice job of custom cutting each tile to fit right up to the base of the toilet and leave the grout line just right. Unfortunately there is now no way to remove the toilet; they did the same thing around the discharge as the wall is tiled as well. There is no way to pull it forward as the floor tile traps it, and even if you can get the studs out of the flange in the wall, still no way to pull it up as the wall tile traps it that way. Did all three baths this way.

                        And I've seen the same thing on a few urinals where the tile was run down right to the top of the urinal after it was hung; no way to take it off w/o breaking out the row of tile above it.

                        Mostly I think peopole need to know where their trade intersects with others, and think about what the other guys need to do, and do what they can to make it easy on them. It is such a joy to set a toilet when the tile has been thoughtfully made flat there, and the flange is at the right height.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                          That's where I'm fortunate. I rarely have to interact with other contractors. I certainly try not to shoot myself in the foot.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                            Originally posted by slink View Post
                            Whining Tile hack....Well I guess that just depends on this tile guys situation.Some companys make there tile guys reset the toilet some companys wont allow there guys to reset the toilet.I have never seen a toilet grouted down but I guess if I did my first thought would be why? what kind of mess am I going to find when I pull that toilet? If this guy was going to have to reset the toilet and thought there may be existing plumbing problems to prevent him from getting it done correctly he was smart to walk away.
                            Most tile guys I know will pull a toilet but they wont put it back.

                            Just like most plumbers I know will install a sink, but they wont cut the hole for it.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Whining Tile Hack ...LOL

                              Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              I don't like it when they are grouted down, as the grout usually cracks in at least one spot when I pull them. But it is better than thinset or that awful acrylic caulk that sets up hard and sticks like liquid nails.

                              The tile guy is a total wuss who just wanted an excuse to not do the job; worst case the toilet gets chipped, so buy another one.

                              I don't know why they (the tile guys) can't just do a nice job of floating the tile and leave a flat spot for the toilet. We're talking about maybe 6 tiles that have to be just right out of the whole floor; how tough is that? I see floors where there are 3/8" differnces in tile height where the toilet has to sit. I don't do tile and even I can do better than this.

                              And while I'm ranting pull up the old crap first so the flange is at the right height, and rip out the drywall behind and replace it instead of just screwing a new sheet over it so I can fit the lid on, you lazy crap remodel doing losers.
                              Hit the nail. For my area, I've never seen a professional tile craftsmen. I've seen dozens of "guys that lay tile". Not one that really is good. If you lay tile and don't know what Schluter systems, Ditra mat, traditional lathe, and two of the best grout sealers while reading this then you are not up to the task. No Googling. You should know it right now while reading this. Don't care how many jobs you've done.

                              Been on remodels, new construction, and just floor replacement at all phases. And the majority of "tile guys" don't check the level of all the underlayment to get a high point to work from or try to level the floor throughout and make good transition points.

                              What's funny to me about anyone arguing about the floor they layed being unlevel is alot of the time the toilet is right over there in the tub. They can take it out and check there level with what is going to be installed back.

                              But they won't do it. Because, "I've been laying tile for years on this # of jobs. I know what I'm doing...."

                              J.C.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X