X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPC question

Help me refresh my memory. Where does it say that you can have only two toilets on a three inch trunk line. I have searched the 2006 IPC and IRC code books and can not find this answer. I believe it used to say that in older code books.
    Last edited by plumbertim1975; 04-13-2009, 10:45 PM.

Re: IPC question

Somebody will beat me to it but I'm looking

Comment

Can you not just fixture unit load it and say it is OK?

3 or 4 DFU per toilet

20 DFU to a horizontal branch W/ 3"
      Last edited by OkieBill; 04-13-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I think the fixture load for IPC 3" takes precedent in the 2009 enforcement.

At one time in N.C. the maximum amount of WC's allowed on any part of the 3" building drain was two.

Now they allow 3 last residential inspection I had.

J.C.

Comment

What about on a commercial applcation? Such as an office buiding or small eatery.

Comment

Like Bill said, the Fixture Unit Table would apply. You consult it to calculate your design or make sure the Mechanical Engineer is correct.

Pages 62-64. Seems much simpler than the old book to me. Thanks WS!

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-13-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
              Help me refresh my memory. Where does it say that you can have only two toilets on a three inch trunk line. I have searched the 2006 IPC and IRC code books and can not find this answer. I believe it used to say that in older code books.
              To answer your question (I hope) I do recall at one time in the older codebooks an exception or notation that overruled fixture load saying only two WC's on a branch of the building drain for 3".

Then in my area they made an amendment or change that the exception or notation that overruled fixture load would only allow 3 WC's on a branch of the building drain for 3".

Now that seems to have been removed. Can't find it. So DFU's & pipe size determine load.

Make any sense?

J.C.

Comment

thanks Bill and JC you guys helped me with what I thought I should do. It just seems the DFU table allows more than you would think a 3" pipe would carry. Just my thoughts. I guess I just don't want to change how I have been doing things. I still think 4" is better than 3" for a two bath house consisting of two WC's, five lavs, WP tub, t&s, shower and KS w/dw. I am starting to lean toward 3" though, mainly for competition reasons. Is this what you guys do?

Comment

If you have ever worked under the UPC they limit a 3" line to 3 water-closets.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                    thanks Bill and JC you guys helped me with what I thought I should do. It just seems the DFU table allows more than you would think a 3" pipe would carry. Just my thoughts. I guess I just don't want to change how I have been doing things. I still think 4" is better than 3" for a two bath house consisting of two WC's, five lavs, WP tub, t&s, shower and KS w/dw. I am starting to lean toward 3" though, mainly for competition reasons. Is this what you guys do?
                    Hard to say as there are no clog statistics for us to pull data from. The full time drain people would be the best help to ask if they run into alot of clogged 3" building drain systems that are installed correctly.

Many of the original DWV codes were based on CI & galvanized with full flow shower heads, faucets, & 3+gallon toilets.

Now we have PVC/ABS systems & lower flow shower heads, faucets, & toilets.

I've read/asked several times that 3" promotes better movement of potential blockages because the water has more contact time with the waste. Especially over longer distances.

So decreasing your pipe sizes may not only increase your bottom line but also give your end consumer a better product.

Just thinking some.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                    X