Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok all you copper tubing experts...

Hot water recirc, 10-15 years old.

I've never seen it this bad. Your thoughts?

Re: ok all you copper tubing experts...

Mine is on a timer 2 hrs a day only, was this one?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

10-15 years 24/7 is a miracle it lasted this long.

is that 1/2''?

what size pump?

what's the water chemistry?

what's the track record in your local service area?

for me, 10-15 years 24/7 is excellent.

all my pumps get a timer to cut down on the wear and tear.

type m will of course pit and leak sooner than type l. so will 1/2'' compared to 3/4'' compared to 1''.

my buddy steve has been experimenting with a custom made flow restricter he makes and installs on his re-circ systems. he's gotten a good service history of this and slowing the flow to just keep the water moving is the trick. water just needs to be kept in motion. its not a race

please answer some of the questions as it will help lead to the answers you're looking for.

rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM. Reason: spell check so joey won't attack
      phoebe it is

Comment

Were the joints reamed? Did they use water soluble paste? Did they use long sweep 90's?

Comment

Hey this is great news, more work for the pro's

yepeeeeeeee...
          sigpic

Comment

I've been installing a re-circ pump from the comfort series by grundfos. comes with a timer, and a built in aquastat to cut down the running time. I'm recommending them to all my customers with recircs, whether it be replacement or repair.
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
              I've been installing a re-circ pump from the comfort series by grundfos. comes with a timer, and a built in aquastat to cut down the running time. I'm recommending them to all my customers with recircs, whether it be replacement or repair.
              Use the same
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                Were the joints reamed? Did they use water soluble paste? Did they use long sweep 90's?
                Read this,this A.M. at home. At the counter at the supply house later ,Guy next to me has a circ. pump.
                Mention using a timer and always reaming to stop cavation. His reply. "I don't know anyone that reams copper! Guess I'm just old and stupid.
                Last edited by toolaholic; 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post

I recently had to replace the "comfort valve" of a grundfos recirc system. That's the part under the lavatory that connects the hot and cold systems. No water would come through the cold side of the widespread faucet. I installed this system about three years ago, maybe less.

My cost for the plastic valve-$56.00

I prefer the Laing recirc pumps. Just one component that works either by timer and/or thermostatically.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                    I recently had to replace the "comfort valve" of a grundfos recirc system. That's the part under the lavatory that connects the hot and cold systems. No water would come through the cold side of the widespread faucet. I installed this system about three years ago, maybe less.

My cost for the plastic valve-$56.00

I prefer the Laing recirc pumps. Just one component that works either by timer and/or thermostatically.
                    Never used the comfort valve. All of these systems have seperate re circ return lines. Grundfos makes a great pump.
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Good questions.

I got side tracked this AM and am running out of time to answer. Maybe later today.

Comment

His reply. "I don't know anyone that reams copper! Guess I'm just old and stupid.
                        I would have expected just the opposite, that an old timer would be more likely to ream 100%. At least that's the way I was taught.

Guess I'm not old enough or dumb enough to not ream.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          I would have expected just the opposite, that an old timer would be more likely to ream 100%. At least that's the way I was taught.

Guess I'm not old enough or dumb enough to not ream.
                          Bob . I ream,and I'm the old Man [ 66 ] . The plumber that made the statement was about 40. Old enough,to know better.

Comment

I RUN ALOT OF CU DWV AND OTHER GUYS LOOK AT ME CRAZY WHEN THEY SEE ME REAMING VENTS I JUST TELL THEM I DO EVERY THING BY THE BOOK COPPER TUBING SHALL BE REAMED TO ITS FULL BORE AS PER CODE.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                              I RUN ALOT OF CU DWV AND OTHER GUYS LOOK AT ME CRAZY WHEN THEY SEE ME REAMING VENTS I JUST TELL THEM I DO EVERY THING BY THE BOOK COPPER TUBING SHALL BE REAMED TO ITS FULL BORE AS PER CODE.
                              I don't know why ,but it really pisses Me off, that there's many plumbers not reaming

Comment

Working...
                              X