Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does a pot of water boil faster with the lid on?

Don't forget to add to the equation the delay factor when you watch the pot of water boil. It increases the boiling time to infinity.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Now throw in another curve. Does water boil faster if salt (sodium chloride) is added? If so, why?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        My mind was working backwards, I would then default to eEasyEman's observation regarding reflection of heat/insulation provided by the top
        I like the insulation idea too. It just makes sense. The water will heat the air above it, the larger the delta, the faster it will heat that air. If you have no lid, the hot air will just dissipate due to convection; but the lid will keep it there longer reducing the delta so that less heat from the water will be lost to the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          Now throw in another curve. Does water boil faster if salt (sodium chloride) is added? If so, why?
          My guess is that it takes longer; because it will boil hotter so there is more heat needed to get it there.

The web seems not to agree one way or the other. The salt might reduce the specific heat of the water, so it would actually need less heat to boil.

Comment

Where's Bill Nye when you need him?

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
              So Vince why don't you do the experiment and you could inform us of the time difference.
              Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post

Simon
              i would but my power has been cut-off.

up here they don't cut you right off. they limit your power to 15 amps so the stove and dryer are not functioning at this time.

they limit us to 15 amps so we still have power for the furnace and fridge.

yes i have been going through my own economic hardship for quite some time now but i am slowly getting back on top, again.

this is all thanks to that bloody government guy that issues the work orders for the company i'm working for at the moment. his personal issue with me has cut me real deep and in fact i'm looking into sueing him.

i've invited him to the forum but he doesn't have the gonads to show himself.

Vince

Tammy and i use a small tank to make hot water because the HWH/HWT is on a 20 amp breaker.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vince the Plumber;223905]

up here they don't cut you right off. they limit your power to 15 amps so the stove and dryer are not functioning at this time.

Vince sorry about your power problem, I'll do the experiment tonight for you after work and post the results.

Simon

Comment

[quote=Some Day Plumbing;223929]
                  Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

Vince sorry about your power problem, I'll do the experiment tonight for you after work and post the results.

Simon
                  it can always be worse. i could have no power at all.

i am thankful.

Vince

i'm not a holy roller, but i do believe the big guy looks out for me.

Comment

It's already been cleared up, but here is another illustration on water boiling.

Your car cooling system can actually get well over the boiling point and yet the water doesn't boil because the system is under pressure. That is why you can remove the radiator cap while the car is hot and the water will begin to boil over. Under pressure the water would stay in liquid form, but when the pressure changes suddenly, it wants to convert to gas.

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and say that by adding salt to the water you would raise it's specific gravity (above that of normal water). The higher the specific gravity the more BTU's required to change the temperature.

Okie

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIZmU-QESFg

This may relate:-)
                        Last edited by OkieBill; 04-16-2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Just the facts Ma'am.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                            It's already been cleared up, but here is another illustration on water boiling.

Your car cooling system can actually get well over the boiling point and yet the water doesn't boil because the system is under pressure. That is why you can remove the radiator cap while the car is hot and the water will begin to boil over. Under pressure the water would stay in liquid form, but when the pressure changes suddenly, it wants to convert to gas.
                            And now I'll hijack.

when water is put in a vacuum, it's boiling temp is lowered. Think cavitation. Pumps, boat propellers, etc.

Comment

if you have a tub of ice and water in it and add salt to the water you will chill cans of soda and beer faster

they did it on myth busters
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Wait a minute! You boys actually boil your own water?

Your cooked food doesn't just miraculously appear before you on a plate?
                                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                                X