Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does a pot of water boil faster with the lid on?

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
    Wait a minute! You boys actually boil your own water?

Your cooked food doesn't just miraculously appear before you on a plate?
    Who boils it for you?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Who boils it for you?

J.C.
      I do it myself!
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I live by myself and burnt water to many times to count.
        Thank goodness for the microwave.

Comment

Salt water does boil at a higher temperature than plain old water.

This is called a "colligative property". It is the effect of changing the molecular-level make-up of the water.

On one hand, the concentration of water has dropped slightly, in that some of the volume is now sodium chloride,so the partial vapor pressure is now lower than that for pure water, and the temperature must increase accordingly.

Secondly, the ions in solution interact with the water molecules and cause a decrease in randomness in the system. Since steam is a more random state, more energy must be pumped in to bring it to the more random state.

Conversely, saltwater has to get colder than pure water before it freezes. Although pure water freezes at 0°C (32°F), water that has salt dissolved in it has to be colder before it freezes. If the water has as much salt dissolved in it as it can hold (that’s called a saturated solution of salt), so that any further salt would just come out as crystals, the freezing temperature is around -21 °C, or about -6 °F. If your freezer isn’t colder than that, the part of the ice touching the salt will start to melt. If you’ve put so much salt on the ice that the water can all melt and form a saturated solution, and still leave some salt crystals, then it will all melt. If you’ve put only a little salt on, it will melt some ice until the salt crystals are gone. Now as more ice melts the solution becomes less salty, more like pure water. So its freezing temperature goes up. At some point its freezing temperature will be the same as the freezer temperature, so the freezing will stop. You’ll have some ice left, and some salty water. Briefly, ice is a crystal, an almost perfect array of pure water molecules with almost no salt in it. To make that out of pure water requires limiting the ways the water molecules move around. To make that out of salt water requires BOTH limiting the ways the water molecules move around AND limiting the ways the salt can move around (it’s stuck in the liquid, or in separate crystals), which is harder to do.

Comment

You can boil water at room temperature if you put enough vacuum on it, (how one gets moisture out of a refrigeration system).
            even at below freezing it skips the liquid state and straight to vapor, (freeze drying) and if you have enough wind (air movement and low humidity) a form of freeze drying can occur, http://books.google.com/books?id=T7f...esult&resnum=1
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i do 90% of the cooking in this house
              i get off work first and i like it better when i cook it comes out better
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

In the summer I do more cooking than my wife (because it is grilling season).
                For the first time this year I ended up boiling water on the grill yesterday; and forgot to get a damn potholder (the pot handle's don't get too hot to touch on our stove) and burnt my thumb (not badly, but enough to be unhappy). Maybe next year I'll remember.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  i do 90% of the cooking in this house
                  i get off work first and i like it better when i cook it comes out better
                  Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  In the summer I do more cooking than my wife (because it is grilling season).
                  Rick, are you listening to this? I had a detached retina a couple of years ago and I had to depend on Rick for everything. That was scary! He kept bringing in take out and my family brought real food.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Rick, are you listening to this? I had a detached retina a couple of years ago and I had to depend on Rick for everything. That was scary! He kept bringing in take out and my family brought real food.
                    That must have been his special Dorito and Twinkie diet.
                    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                      So Vince why don't you do the experiment and you could inform us of the time difference.

Simon
                      I think you should record the latitude also as that probably affects the rate at which the water absorbs heat.

Vince, you are way North of most of us so your numbers should be different than here (39.26°N).

Just kiddin.
                      But it would be interesting to know if it makes a difference. The ambient temp of the room WILL make a difference.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Alright here are my results on the topic.

The ambient temp was 22℃
                        The water out of the tap was 23℃
                        The latitude of Brisbane is 27.4°S

To reach 100℃ without the lid it took 6 min 45 sec

To reach 100℃ with the lid on it took 4 min 40 sec

Simon

Comment

You guys really need a hobby

Comment

You mean besides boiling water?

Comment

Not everybody can handle the pressure of watching paint dry.

Comment

It does boil faster because of a reduction in heat loss. An increase in pressure would raise the boiling point of water, not lower it. Look at the phase diagram for water.
                                http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/s...e/h2ophase.gif

Comment

Working...
                                X